Rough Idle, Vibration at Highway Speed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Rough Idle, Vibration at Highway Speed

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 05-14-2013, 09:41 AM   #1
Michael8it
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Rough Idle, Vibration at Highway Speed

I have a 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport that is having some issues. There is a miss at idle, causing a rough idle. When I get on the highway, once I hit 70MPH I start getting a vibration. If I accelerate up to 75 and back off, as soon as I get out of the throttle the vibration is gone, until I get on the throttle again.

Last year, I had the Intake system cleaned, and it ran GREAT after that. I also replaced the plugs. The engine has 125,000 miles on it. I inherited this from my mother, and IIRC she started having the same problem after a trip to Alaska, when they drove through Canada. Her mechanic thought it had something to do with Canadian gas. I tried different grades from 87 to 93 octane and it makes no difference.

The engine is stock with the exception of a K&N Cold Air intake and filter. The suspension is all new (shocks, leaf springs, bearings) and the tires are new Michelin LTX Touring tires. I don't think this is suspension related because when I back off the gas the vibration stops, so it seems that it is related to the engine load.

I am still looking through my mothers paperwork to find out what maintenance has been done on it. Any suggestions on this problem are welcome!
Thanks,
Mike

Michael8it is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.