Rough idle, stumble at idle. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Rough idle, stumble at idle.

ExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire CarrIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 11-09-2009, 08:17 AM   #1
98xjnick
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Rough idle, stumble at idle.

I have a '98 Cherokee with the 4.0, 136,000 miles. I purchased it about 18 months ago and it always had a little vibration/roughness at idle but very minor. Lately it'll stumble in stop and go traffic, usually after stopping for a short time like fueling up. It runs fine at higher rpm and power seems good. I did a tune up about a year ago, and have since checked that stuff over due tracking down another issue that turned out to be a faulty crankshaft position sensor. I also recently cleaned out my throttle body and IAC valve.

I have a scan tool that monitors the computer and my throttle position sensor reads 14.9% angle at idle. Does anyone know if this is normal for our Jeeps? Logically that seems like it might be the issue, but before I shell out for a new TPS, does anyone know any other issues that might be causing this reading, or my problem?

Thanks for the help.

-Nick

98xjnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2009, 08:24 AM   #2
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I don't know what the TPS reading should be at idle, but I would get a meter and a manual and perform the recommended testing on that hardware before replacing it. TPS can be tested.

Did your tuneup include plugs, plug wires, cap, rotor?

A bottle of high quality fuel injector cleaner (I like Chevron/Techron) in about 3/4 of a tank of gas is never a bad idea.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2010, 03:18 PM   #3
vabeachtennis
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98xjnick View Post
I have a '98 Cherokee with the 4.0, 136,000 miles. I purchased it about 18 months ago and it always had a little vibration/roughness at idle but very minor. Lately it'll stumble in stop and go traffic, usually after stopping for a short time like fueling up. It runs fine at higher rpm and power seems good. I did a tune up about a year ago, and have since checked that stuff over due tracking down another issue that turned out to be a faulty crankshaft position sensor. I also recently cleaned out my throttle body and IAC valve.

I have a scan tool that monitors the computer and my throttle position sensor reads 14.9% angle at idle. Does anyone know if this is normal for our Jeeps? Logically that seems like it might be the issue, but before I shell out for a new TPS, does anyone know any other issues that might be causing this reading, or my problem?

Thanks for the help.

-Nick
Did you ever find out what the problem was. I seem to have similar symptoms.
vabeachtennis is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.