Rough idle, loss of power on acceleration…..but only sometimes. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Rough idle, loss of power on acceleration…..but only sometimes.

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 02-12-2009, 10:04 AM   #1
firedoghfd

Rough idle, loss of power on acceleration…..but only sometimes.

I have a 1999 Jeep Cherokee Inline 6 and started to have some issues a few weeks back. The jeeps will sometimes idle rough, not really rough but enough to notice something is off. Also at different speeds (sometime in the 30-40’s other times 50-80) it will run rough when trying to accelerate which feels like a loss of power. You can still accelerate just not as smooth as before. The jeep has about 125,000 miles on it. New spark plugs where put in at about 115,000.

I have also noticed a small oil leak right around the oil filter. Sometimes there is a few drops of oil on the filter and a small stain in the drive way. However all fluid levels are ok, in fact just about at the top.

What are the most likely items that should be looked at? Unless this sounds 100% like the fuel filter the last thing I want to do is drop my tank.

I’m also new to car repair. I can figure most things out just don’t know all the terms.
Last summer I had to rebuilt most of coolant system (fan clutch, water pump, thermostat, tubes…..) with no issues. It just takes me a little more time then other people.

firedoghfd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2009, 10:13 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Finish the tune-up with a new cap, rotor, and new wires. Don't buy cheap parts. Add a can of fuel injector cleaner to the gas tank on the next two fill-ups.

Test and consider replacing the Coolant Temperature Sensor on the thermostat housing. If the sensor is weak or slow it will keep you in cold loop too long and you can have hesitation, rough acceleration, or a power loss as symptoms. A bad CTS may or may not cause a CEL light on the dash.

The fuel filter is not routinely serviced.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.

Last edited by CJ7-Tim; 02-12-2009 at 10:55 AM..
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2009, 10:36 AM   #3
firedoghfd

the loss of power, hesitation, rough idle happens when the engine is cold and it happens if i've been driving for a hour or more.

I put in bottle of cleaner and have about 1/4 of a tank left, i'll add the 2nd.

i'll replace the wires, cap and rotor today and let you know
firedoghfd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2009, 10:52 AM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
..... Test and consider replacing the Coolant Temperature Sensor on the thermostat housing. ....you can have hesitation, rough acceleration, or a power loss as symptoms.
Test the TPS also.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2009, 04:19 PM   #5
MxAjN

your small oil leak may be your oil filter adapter o ring or gasket, happened to me about a week ago costed like 40 bucks at my mechanic, but the parts only like 6 dollars, just a p.i.t.a
MxAjN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2009, 05:38 AM   #6
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Finish the tune-up with a new cap, rotor, and new wires. Don't buy cheap parts
Gotta start with cap, rotor and wires as Tim says. Don't want to be chasing your tail and your have to eliminate tuneup stuff first.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2009, 07:00 AM   #7
scoon
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Hey there,

Also check your grounds and battery terminals.
Unread 12-02-2013, 04:38 PM   #8
tapied

had this same issue on 00 Jeep Cherokee inline 6

I had this same issue for almost a year. Had had coil pack changed (no wires on 00 Cherokee, model just coil pack directly on plugs), spark plugs, tune up, carbon build up treatment recommended by Jeep official repair bulletin, not to mention mechanics looking at it repeatedly and scratching their heads.

FINALLY, got a mechanic with lots of experience (30+ years) who told me it was my aftermarket Bosch spark plugs....rolled my eyes and didn't believe it at first...then he bet me "no cost for new plugs and labor if it didn't fix the problem" so I told him to go ahead feeling skeptical. I had put the Bosch plugs in because they were "nice" and expensive and supposedly improved performance....he said he had seen the same problem about 20 times and the same fix fixed all of them.

He replaced the spark plugs with standard OEM plugs. No aftermarket fancy stuff....worked like a dream!!! Had no problems for the next 2 years until I totaled it Best and simplest fix I've ever had. In fact, did the same thing for a friend who was having the same problem...again, worked like a dream, no problems since for him.

Hope this helps
tapied is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2013, 11:49 PM   #9
desertratXj
1997 XJ Cherokee 

im having the same issue as well did the tune up replaced the tps but forgot to flash the pcm i also replaced my catylitic converter and muffler which somewhat helped the next thing i have to replace will be the o2 sensors everyone ive talked to has said if replacement of your cat doesnt work it could be the o2 sensors
desertratXj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.