Rough idle / hot startup - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Rough idle / hot startup

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-30-2002, 06:02 PM   #1
eraabe

Rough idle / hot startup

I have a 4.0. After the engine is warmed up and it's shut off for longer that 10 min, when starting, the engine runs rough like it is missing and might stall. This is worse when you are in gear with the brake applied. After you drive for a few minutes the idle returns to normal. Driving under a load is normal. This will happen again if you allow the engine to sit off for at least 15 min. Got any ideas? The dealer is puzzled. Nothing shows on the computer yet. Thanks Ed aeraabe@aol.com

eraabe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2009, 06:49 PM   #2
pajeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

engine runs rough for short time when hot, on restart.

My buddy has the same problem. I checked the forum for results. Does anyone have a clue?
pajeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2009, 06:59 PM   #3
xjbuilder00
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I have the same problem, replaced all plug wires, rotor, cap, plugs, and injectors. i've cleaned all of the throttle body IAC and everything and it still feels like it's missing alittle. If anyone can figure it out you'd definately be on the awesome list.

92' Cherokee Laredo - 3.5" OME lift, Rusty's Shocks, JKS quick Discos, Rusty's Adj Trac Bar
xjbuilder00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2009, 07:11 PM   #4
Rollin
2005 WK 

Injector #3 gets so hot in certain conditions that it vaporizes its fuel upon shutdown. I think this is what your problem is. It usually clears within 30 seconds of hot startup. If it happens very often or annoys you, you can wrap insulation around injector 3 and it will block the heat, thus solving the problem.

Edit: found the TSB, It applies to older vehicles too, I just found a different version.

THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 18-027-02,
DATED SEPTEMBER 06, 2002, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM
YOUR FILES. THIS IS A COMPLETE REVISION AND NO ASTERISKS
HAVE BEEN USED TO HIGHLIGHT REVISIONS.
SUBJECT:
4.0L Rough Engine Idle After Restart Following A Hot Soak
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves the installation of a fuel injector insulator sleeve.
MODELS:
2000-2004 (TJ) Wrangler (Domestic and International Markets)
1999-2004 (WJ) Grand Cherokee (Domestic and International Markets)
2001-2004 (WG) Grand Cherokee (International Market)
2000-2001 (XJ) Jeep Cherokee (Domestic and International Markets)
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 4.0L engine (sales code = ERH)
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Customers may describe a 20 to 30 second rough idle following the restart of a heat soaked
engine. This condition may be most noticeable when the engine is restarted following a
prior 10 to 20 minute heat soak in hot ambient conditions of approximately 32 C (90ºF)
or higher. This condition may be consistent with short city stop-and-go driving trips and
can be aggravated by the use of fuel with a high ethanol content. Depending upon
various conditions a MIL may occur due to DTC P0303 - Cylinder #3 Misfire.
This condition may be caused by heat from the exhaust manifold that following engine
shut down migrates to the area around injector #3 and causes fuel vapor to form
within the injector. This in turn may cause a momentary misfire of cylinder #3 until
the fuel vapor is cleared of injector #3. The insulator sleeve lowers the injector #3
temperature to a point below which the fuel will not normally vaporize.
DIAGNOSIS:
1. If vehicle exhibits a rough idle, and if a misfire of cylinder #3 is observed following
a 10 to 20 minute hot soak, perform the Repair Procedure.
18-031-03 -2-
PARTS REQUIRED:
Qty. Part No. Description
1 56028371AA Ignition Wire Shield
REPAIR PROCEDURE:
1. Cut insulator sleeve, p/n 56028371AA, to make two (2) insulator sleeves
about 25-30 mm (1 in.) in length.
2. Install one sleeve around injector #3, with the slit on the upward facing side of the
injector. Install the other sleeve with the slit on the downward facing side of the injector.
3. Confirm sleeve is flush to intake manifold surface around injector.
4. Check injector #3 wire and ensure that the injector is rotated to a 2 o’clock
position (from driver’s side of vehicle

Imported from Detroit
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2009, 07:50 PM   #5
pajeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks. My buddy said he had the computer read and it said #3 cylinder misfire. This must be the problem. I forwarded the info. Thanks. Do you know if this is a recall item with a free repair? Thanks again!!!
pajeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2009, 08:18 PM   #6
Rollin
2005 WK 

I never looked into it

Imported from Detroit
Unread 03-18-2009, 09:08 PM   #7
robsjeepxj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Also heat shield between the exhaust and intake manifold works. I did this repair and the results were marginal as the heat sleeves tend to fall off over time and with fans blowing on them so I went with an actual heat shield instead works great, diverts the heat from under the intake and in turn from in to the injectors.
PS it's not just cylinder #3 that this will happen to I've had it happen to varies cylinders as always only on startup.
robsjeepxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2009, 07:03 AM   #8
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

eraabe, always post the year of your XJ. It can and does make a difference in the advice you'll receive.

Depending on the year, it could be the heat soak problem. My 99 had this issue but it never did set off the check engine light or store a code.
tjwalker is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2009, 07:05 AM   #9
Rollin
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwalker View Post
eraabe, always post the year of your XJ. It can and does make a difference in the advice you'll receive.

Depending on the year, it could be the heat soak problem. My 99 had this issue but it never did set off the check engine light or store a code.
Like I said, it applies to at least 97+ Because mine does it too.

Imported from Detroit
Unread 08-25-2009, 02:19 PM   #10
_litz
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Mine did this too, last weekend ... was towing, stopped for gas, and it misfired on startup (P0301) ... symptoms were exactly as described in that TSB. I cleared the code, and it's not returned.

What kind of heat shield would be recommended to put between the exhaust manifold and the injector rail?

- _litz
Unread 06-21-2013, 10:15 PM   #11
XJmike0122
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I know this is a really old post, but I just got a 2001 XJ. Thanks for the info.
XJmike0122 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.