Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Rough Idle even after new o2 sensor

4K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  wtr10968 
#1 ·
Replaced my upstream o2 sensor as I had a CEL. symptoms were right when I turned it on and took of hesitation under acceleration and rough idle at the light. Now it does the same thing seems like it's about to turn off at idle and under acceleration hesitation. Does this once maybe twice them works perfectly fine. Was I supposed to reset the pcm as well? Please help :(

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

#2 ·
The o2 sensor is not used until after the vehicle has had a chance to warm up. If the problem is occurring right after startup with a cold vehicle, the o2 sensor is not the cause.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Find out what specific codes were causing the check engine light to come on. Then post them here for more advice. Some auto parts stores will scan the codes for free.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Probably P0132 and P0138 if they were O2 related. So you got a short to voltage error code on both the left upstream and leftdown stream sensor at the same time. The chances of two separate sensors on the same side failing at the same time, for the same reason, are quite improbable. It would be more likely that there is something electrical going on that effected both of them at the same time. I would start by cleaning all ground connections to ensure that everything has a proper electrical path back to ground. Here is a video:

#8 ·
Are you still getting the CEL or is it an issue with hesitation and low idle?

I too had an O2 sensor fail and a bit later a low idle problem (I had to drive two footed to avoid stalling at a traffic light).

I looked up the issue and found several videos on cleaning the throttle body and IAC valve.

I took a half hour or so last weekend to do the cleaning and it completely fixed the low idle issue. I didn't thing the IAC looked that bad, but I guess it doesn't take much.

Good luck with your issue

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.