rough idle, bucking - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > rough idle, bucking

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 06-25-2012, 05:06 PM   #1
dmlacrosse42
2000 XJ Cherokee 

rough idle, bucking

driving home from the beach the other day i was traveling about 65 mph, i let off the gas entireley as i was approaching the off ramp, and my RPMs went from the 2000-2200 range down to about 1750, right back up to the 2k range, and back down (CEL came on at this time). I decide to drive it to the local auto parts store to have the code read. driving on a road with a speed limit of 40, there was no "bucking" or abnormal fluctuations in the RPMs. as soon as i put the jeep in park, the rpms jumped to 1500, while they normally sit a 750. Finally had the code read. P121, P122, and P123 came back. I had the code cleared, and cleaned out the throttle body and the IAC with some CRC cleaner, thinking it would resolve my issue. After cleaning all the gunk out, it idled normal again! i took if for a drive and the bucking/surge in the RPMS was nowhere as severe, it felt like a small jerk after letting off the gas. driving 50mph, let off the gas, and the RPMs dropped a tad and went right back up, but certainly noticeable. after all my reading and research, everything seemed to point to the IAC, TPS, MAP, etc, so i cleaned them out. The CEL just came back on, i feel so lost. any input is much appreciated. :

dmlacrosse42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2012, 06:34 PM   #2
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Always, always follow where the codes point you to.

All three of them are for your throttle position sensor.

Replace it with one from either Jeep or Napa if you choose aftermarket. This sensor cannot be cleaned. Do NOT buy any cheap charlie engine management sensors; lots of Chinese stuff floating around that is absolute crap.

The part is not that inexpensive and it's easy to change. Plug and play.

Good luck and keep us updated if this resolves it.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
bucking , cherokee , rough idle , rpms

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.