rough country lift versus tuff country lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > rough country lift versus tuff country lift

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all JKS Products @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 09-24-2011, 10:49 AM   #1
otownxj
1997 XJ Cherokee 

rough country lift versus tuff country lift

Hello Jeepers, I have a 97 XJ that I have decided to lift and am considering a 3.5 Tuff Country lift with rear springs versus a 3 Rough Country lift with rear springs. Pricing is very close between the two so that is not really a consideration in my decision. I did notice that TC lift includes a transfer case drop that the RC kit does not. I appreciate comments and advice from all the folks here that have experience with these kits. Pros and cons on each would be great. I am not a hardcore wheeler just want a more aggressive stance with the ability to run a 31 inch tire. Most of the use my rig will see is on road with the occasional trail use but nothing real rough. I also noticed that the RC kit does not include a track bar relocation bracket and the TC kit does. Is that not necessary with the RC kit or is that something that would need to be addressed? I see that RC sells and adjustable track bar for around $130. Is that the better way to go? Keep in mind I will not be hammering this rig, so I'm thinking that a simple relocation bracket will be ok for me or is my thinking flawed?

otownxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2011, 11:00 AM   #2
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

transfer case drop sucks, get a sye.

a track bar drop bracket also sucks, you will deffinitly want an adjustable track bar.

since its mostly an on road rig, id reccomend rough countrys shackle relocation in the rear, and a spacer up front with sway bar disconnects. with some trimming you can run 31's on that set up, wont need a sye, and dont have to worry about track bar etc.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/building-recovery-bumpers-pics-1184330/
The_Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2011, 11:07 AM   #3
otownxj
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Is a slip yoke eliminator big money to buy? What about the cost of install. I think that might be out of my league mechanical skillswise.
Unread 09-24-2011, 11:10 AM   #4
otownxj
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Is a trasfer case drop really necessary with a lift of 3' ?
Unread 09-24-2011, 11:17 AM   #5
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Just because the parts are not in your lift kit, doesn't mean you don't need them.

At 3-4 inches of lift you need to do something about your track bar and the transfer case. You may be able to get away with the TC drop, but that is just a temporary solution until you save up enough for an SYE.

Be sure you see the FAQ's about lifting Cherokee's - http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/t...ks-tsbs-89273/

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2014, 01:06 PM   #6
j4rama

2001 XJ Cherokee 

I'm also in the same boat. I'm looking for a 3" lift and came across both the RC 3" and TC 3.5". I was originally set on the RC 3" because of stellar reviews and I was under the impression that you didn't have to re-gear, etc.

With a 3", is it necessary to drop the t-case and add a SYE? If not completely necessary, what would I expect with not doing either? Any other opinions of RC vs. TC?

Any replies would definitely be appreciated by this "noob."

THANKS!
j4rama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2014, 01:23 PM   #7
93gc40
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Between TC and RC, flip a coin. Neither kit is complete.
ANY lift can cause rear driveline vibration and shaft length issues, but some XJ's can go to about 5" before the issues manifest. the TC drop, which can be done for about $5 worth of bolts and washers and the SYE at around $250 are way of addressing this. Below 3" of lift a TC drop should be fine, unless you have a REALLY flexy lift.
93 ZJ 4.0 / 2"BB / Wranglers / RIP-Gone but not forgotten.

If it aint dirty, it aint a JEEP, it's just a SUV.
93gc40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2014, 08:48 AM   #8
j4rama

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for your reply, 93gc40.

I think I'm leaning more towards the RC 3". If neither kit is complete, what else do you recommend purchasing for the lift? Sorry for all the questions - this is new to me and I've been getting a little overwhelmed by getting lost on all the Jeep forums for hours at a time (so easy to do).

Thanks!
Unread 07-09-2014, 09:44 PM   #9
rick_rob
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I have the rc 4.5 x series, it isn't a bad setup. Rides pretty good for a beater vehicle. No vibes or shakes with out a sye or Tc drop. Every jeep is different. I have a buddy with the same year and drivetrain and needed a Tc drop with 3" of lift.
rick_rob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2014, 02:15 PM   #10
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4rama View Post
Thanks for your reply, 93gc40.

I think I'm leaning more towards the RC 3". If neither kit is complete, what else do you recommend purchasing for the lift? Sorry for all the questions - this is new to me and I've been getting a little overwhelmed by getting lost on all the Jeep forums for hours at a time (so easy to do).

Thanks!
Not sure what comes in the kits, but here are some things you may want to consider:
Extended or quick disconnect sway bar links for the front (just remove the rear sway bar...).
Longer rear brake line (between body and axle) and parking brake cables (YJ cables are longer).
Longer shocks (don't bother with ones that come with a kit, get good ones like Bilstein or ??)
Then there are the things already mentioned:
Re-drilling the axle side trackbar mount OR and adjustable trackbar.
T-case drop kit if your engine and trans mounts are in good shape OR a SYE and Dbl Cardan shaft, but do the lift FIRST then determine if you have vibrations...
You could also consider shackle relocation brackets, but they can add up to 2" of lift, depending on what brackets you buy, and Bar Pin Eliminators for the shocks; If you plan on ANY off-roading you should have tow points and skid plates...
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2014, 07:43 PM   #11
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I would go with the rough country 3". You may, or may not need to drop the transfer case. You don't need an adjustable track bar at 3". You can drill a new hole on the axle side bracket to center the axle and use the factory track bar. I suggest plating the face of the bracket to add strength.

I am not a fan of rough country track bars. Look at metalcloak for a track bar that allows diff clearance as well as tie rod clearance. The jks 126 would be my second choice at 3" of lift.

Bar pin eliminaters are a poor solution to proper bumpstop extensions and should not be used. The only thing they are good for is allowing foolish people to bottom out their shocks causing premature shock failure due to damaged seals and bushings.

If you decide you want a sye and double cardan driveshaft I would suggest a jb conversion sye. For a driveshaft all you need is a xj front drive shaft from the boneyard. They fit perfectly for a rear shaft.
rda616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2014, 07:46 PM   #12
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4rama
I'm also in the same boat. I'm looking for a 3" lift and came across both the RC 3" and TC 3.5". I was originally set on the RC 3" because of stellar reviews and I was under the impression that you didn't have to re-gear, etc. With a 3", is it necessary to drop the t-case and add a SYE? If not completely necessary, what would I expect with not doing either? Any other opinions of RC vs. TC? Any replies would definitely be appreciated by this "noob." THANKS!
You don't regear for a lift. You regear for an increase in tire size.

You either do a sye and double cardan driveshaft. Or you do a transfer case drop. You don't do both.
Unread 07-10-2014, 10:29 PM   #13
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rda616 View Post
Bar pin eliminaters are a poor solution to proper bumpstop extensions and should not be used. The only thing they are good for is allowing foolish people to bottom out their shocks causing premature shock failure due to damaged seals and bushings.
Not quite sure what you are trying to convey. Were you thinking "alternative" when you typed "solution"?
Regardless, BPEs have NOTHING to do with bumpstops and have not caused my shocks any damage in the many years they have been installed.

Now, it's POSSIBLE that if you had shocks that were already marginally too short, the inch of up-travel BPEs take away MIGHT cause problems, but that's more an issue of having the wrong shock.
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2014, 10:52 PM   #14
j4rama

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rda616 View Post
You don't regear for a lift. You regear for an increase in tire size.

You either do a sye and double cardan driveshaft. Or you do a transfer case drop. You don't do both.
At what tire size would it be a good idea to regear? I'm most likely going to start out on 31's.
Unread 07-11-2014, 03:44 AM   #15
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sAe23
Not quite sure what you are trying to convey. Were you thinking "alternative" when you typed "solution"? Regardless, BPEs have NOTHING to do with bumpstops and have not caused my shocks any damage in the many years they have been installed. Now, it's POSSIBLE that if you had shocks that were already marginally too short, the inch of up-travel BPEs take away MIGHT cause problems, but that's more an issue of having the wrong shock.
Yes they very much do. A longer travel shock will have a longer body and offer less up travel than a to short shock. Example, if you use stock shocks on the front of your rig with a 3" lift you sacrifice down travel, but gain up travel. Now add a 10" travel bilstein to the mix and you need about 2" of front bumpstop extension and about 3" rear to not bottom out the shock. While you gain a potential 1" available up travel in the front You still need to add bumpstop extension, or your shock bottoming out will become that bumpstop. You actually exacerbate the issue with a bar pin eliminator because it shortens the available collapsed length even more so by adding length to the shock. You gain about 1 of down travel, but lose that in available up travel. You may have already extended your bumpstops enough for tire to fender clearance that it isn't an issue for you. It is however an issue.

The purpose of the bar pin eliminator should say it all. They where made so people didn't bend the bar pin and have it rip away from the mounting point. What type of impact has to transpire for that condition to occur? A hard bottoming out that would be avoided by having properly extended bumpstops.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.