Rough country 6.5" LA caster adjustment - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Rough country 6.5" LA caster adjustment

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 01-30-2014, 09:53 AM   #1
psychoteen101
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Rough country 6.5" LA caster adjustment

Installed a RC 6.5" LA kit on a 2000 Cherokee. I adjusted the upper and lower arms to the recommended measurements provided by rough country. Uppers 15 1/4" eye to eye and lowers 29 3/4" eye to eye. Caster is equal on both sides, but I only have +2.5 degrees caster, OE spec is between +5.3-+8.2degrees. ITs drivable but follows every crack and bump in the road and does not like to center steer. Anybody have upper control arm measurements handy for the correct caster or possibly have an idea of how many turns of the joints account for angle change? Problem with this is, I cant adjust caster on an alignment rack. It has to be done on a normal lift, then I have to bring it to get the alignment checked.

Unread 01-30-2014, 11:21 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

You Jeep is no longer stock, stock alignment numbers do not always apply. Pinion angle is more important than caster. Are you sure there is enough toe in ? You should have at least 1/16th to 1/8th inch toe in.

Bad ball joints can cause it to not return to center.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.

CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2014, 12:12 PM   #3
psychoteen101
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Rough country suggest OE caster and camber adjustments. Ive got about +7 degrees caster on my 96 with 8" of lift. Ball joints are good, drove fine prior to lift install. Toe is about 1/8th in. Rough country didn't have any set measurements for the upper arms, but did say that 2 turns should be about 1 degree of adjustment. So I turned them in a bit, will post back with results.
Unread 01-30-2014, 01:44 PM   #4
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
You Jeep is no longer stock, stock alignment numbers do not always apply. Pinion angle is more important than caster. Are you sure there is enough toe in ? You should have at least 1/16th to 1/8th inch toe in.

Bad ball joints can cause it to not return to center.
X2^ .
I helped install 2 RC kits. Their customer service rocks but it took way too much blood to install and adjust the lifts. They told us the same thing they told you and it didn't work. We ended up adjusting for pinion and toe. Work fine then.
Unread 01-30-2014, 03:17 PM   #5
psychoteen101
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I spun the upper arms in about 7 full turns. Took some work to get the bolts back in, but got it back together. It drives better than it did. Doesn't follow bumps in the road. Still not 100%. Gonna put it on an alignment rack again and check it, maybe change the toe a little bit more. I think a majority of my problem now is with the steering stabilizer. It's definitely blown. Front end has a shimmy on bumps.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.