Rough Country 3" series 1 vs. 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Rough Country 3" series 1 vs. 2

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueLast Day to take advantage of 5% off August Promo

Unread 08-07-2015, 09:17 PM   #1
StealthXJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Rough Country 3" series 1 vs. 2

Hey guys, so this is my 2001 Jeep Cherokee that I plan to put a lift and some new wheels and tires on, eventually. I've done my research and for what I want and can pay, the Rough Country 3" lift kit fits the bill perfectly. The cheaper option, which does not include the control arms, is very appealing, but is the series II, which includes new control arms, that much better and worth the extra money? I do not plan on doing any aggressive off-roading, so if money is a factor, which it truly is for me, do I really need the series II? Thank you.

StealthXJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2015, 10:24 PM   #2
XJJunkie71
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I'm pretty new to the off road scene, so I can't draw on a bunch of experience. Buuuut.....I put the 3" RC lift with the new control arms on my '99 XJ. They are A LOT beefier than those stamped metal stock ones.
XJJunkie71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2015, 10:43 PM   #3
chris87xj
JF Admin

1987 XJ Cherokee 

^That and whether a smoother ride and better tire wear is worth the cost to you.
Good looking jeep there.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009

chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2015, 10:59 PM   #4
StealthXJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Ok, I hear you guys. I just didn't know the benefits off new and better control arms. Well, looks like I'll be buying the kit soon, then. And, thank you very much! I know a Jeep is meant to get dirty, but I love to keep mine as clean as I can!
Unread 08-07-2015, 11:24 PM   #5
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

If money is a factor, consider that lifting your 2001 even as little as 3" (or less in many cases), will introduce driveline vibrations that will require either a cheap (but not the best way to do it) T-case drop kit or a SYE and Double Cardan drive shaft (and either method will require leaf spring shims to correct the pinion angle).
And you may want to consider an adjustable track bar, but you can also just drill a new hole and use your existing bar...
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2015, 11:52 PM   #6
StealthXJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Thank you. I have heard of these possible issues, but I have also heard of many people not having any problems at all. If I can swing the money, I'd really like to do this lift!
Unread 08-08-2015, 12:28 AM   #7
saludalabs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I did the RC 3 inch with the new leaf springs on my 2001. I did need to do the T-Case drop kit to get rid of the vibration. Also got the adjustable track bar.

I did have a DW that require ball joints on left/right upper/lower. I would recommend getting the adjustable control arms. Inspect your front end real good, you will run into something (DW and vibrations) with a 15 year old XJ. I will finish renewing the front end next year.

With the DW and vibrations issues I had, it was still worth doing the 3 inch lift, just be prepare for some troubleshooting. The XJ rides good now.
saludalabs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2015, 06:09 AM   #8
StealthXJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Well crap, this is looking like it might be more more expensive than I thought! I'm new to all this, so will a t-case drop work well enough or will I need an SYE for the front and rear? If I truly need an SYE, that is way too much money for me right now!
Unread 08-08-2015, 06:32 AM   #9
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthXJ View Post
Well crap, this is looking like it might be more more expensive than I thought! I'm new to all this, so will a t-case drop work well enough or will I need an SYE for the front and rear? If I truly need an SYE, that is way too much money for me right now!
You may want to reconsider putting all that money into this XJ then. These rigs are always one of two things (depending on your perspective)-a money pit or an expensive obsession. "You gotta wanna do it!" or you're gonna wanna sell it...at a loss if you figure it out too late.
Unread 08-08-2015, 06:43 AM   #10
saludalabs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthXJ View Post
Yes the t-case drop fix work for my setup. Some guys stated the drop should be a temp fix while you save up for the SYE for the rear.

I will be straight up with the cost, the expensive will run up ($1500 to $2500) depending on how much things you run into. Once you get started you will not stop, it becomes an obsession. You must do it. Just do it a little at a time. In about 4 months I will go back in start hitting it again, more new parts and maybe the SYE next spring.

For me since I am the original owner is having that extra height with bigger tires, and the Jeep feeling like the day I drove it off the lot.
Unread 08-08-2015, 06:47 AM   #11
StealthXJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I really just want the lift for looks. I was already told that I could use a new track bar. Also, I love my Jeep, if I didn't I wouldn't have spent 3.5k on a new remanufactured engine! That was sadly something that I had to do. I think a 3" lift looks awesome, but I'd rather not have to buy an SYE, as I'd like to use that money towards buying new wheels and tires! I've heard everything from, 'my jeep is fine with just the lift' to, 'even a t-case drop didn't fix it, so I got an SYE and replaced other stuff".

I could just take a gamble, buy the kit and drop the t-case and hope for the best. If only I were in my career field already and had more play money! I might even be satisfied with a smaller lift from spacers, or just keeping it stock and adding new wheels and tires. I just love to work on stuff and would really like to do some work to my Cherokee!
Unread 08-08-2015, 06:53 AM   #12
saludalabs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Go for the basic items first. Replace the track bar, tire rods ends, and ball joints first. After that wait three months then go for the lift.
Unread 08-08-2015, 07:09 AM   #13
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

What I mentioned wasn't meant to scare you off. We'd like for you to join the JustEmptyEveryPocket club...whole hearted. There's a sequence you can follow that allows for one thing to be fixed at a time. Its just a matter of wisely knowing what can wait till later.
1. Do any necessary maintenance first (brakes, etc)
2.Do the lift (I highly recommend the longer control arms!)[rims and/or tires may be next]
3.Do the track bar (or you're gonna hate driving it!)
4.Drive line angles: replace your front axle with a high pinion out of a '97-99 XJ. At 3" the rear may be OK.
5.If you don't like the way the lift settled after some miles, longer shackles (rear) or coil shims/spacers (front).
Its just step by step.
Unread 08-08-2015, 08:18 AM   #14
StealthXJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

That was very helpful. Thank you! I am planning to inspect, best I can without stands, the front end suspension system and determine what I actually need to replace. I know I need a new track bar, per my mechanic who is a friend who I really respect, so I am looking into Moog bushings or just a brand new Moog track bar.

Also, what do you mean by longer control arms? The ones that come with the series II kit?
Unread 08-08-2015, 08:28 AM   #15
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Those arms will likely be lengthened to accommodate for the lift. Stock arms, when pointed further downward, lose forward reach. The longer arms will recenter the front tires in the wheel well, and fix caster angles to eliminate steering issues. I'm a firm believer that they improve the ride quality vastly!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.