Roselyn aka Rosie --- (a no-go for 56k'ers!) - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Roselyn aka Rosie --- (a no-go for 56k'ers!)

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 07-21-2010, 09:30 AM   #31
countrythang
1999 XJ Cherokee 

should be interesting to say the least... and i have seen some threads from out there on the islands from some Jeepers.... but yeah i feel for you on the limited selection on parts, lol... good luck man...

It definitely is a Jeep thing, but its a country thang.... you wouldn't understand....

jeepyjpsu- "I bet my cousins power wheel barbie jeep gets more "off road" time than that. She drives in the yard."

[quote=TYphoonXJ;9869020]Hahaha exactly :) 5.5" and no SYE or TC drop = more vibrations than pamela anderson could handle[/quote]
countrythang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 09:38 AM   #32
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

Check out the various threads on the S10 bastard packs. I assume you guy have junk yards with S10 trucks and blazers in them. For that matter, if you decided to keep the shackle, you can use XJ packs to get the 2-2.5" you need.

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 02:30 PM   #33
franknstn_cj5
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Yeah I've considered going the bastard pack route - honestly, the island's about 20 miles wide, and there's only maybe 2/3 junkyards even worth mentioning, so they kind of run a monopoly and they know it. It's depressing and de-motivating, but hey, it's what I've got to work with over the next 2 1/2 years! I just can't wait to get back to mainland!

I've seen some vastly different estimates on install times on these kits. I'm considering renting a garage on a military post over here - it's like $5/hr for a lift bay, and they've got all the tools you can rent out/air lines/impact blah de blah. My question is should I just tackle this in my garage with a guy or two, or take it to that shop and risk paying like 20 hrs worth of shop time? I've got a pretty extensive collection of hand tools.
franknstn_cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 04:03 PM   #34
countrythang
1999 XJ Cherokee 

hey man, I helped my buddy build hi 2010 JK here in the shop they have on post here at Fort Detrick, MD and let me tell you it was really nice. we did everything ourselves and it wasn't much for the bay there. we have our own tools too that we used mostly, but the air tools there and welder and everything else we didn't have made the process quicker and easier, not to mention a real lift, ya know. i do know that here it was only 2/3 dollars an hour and $5 for a night, IMHO it was worth it.

It definitely is a Jeep thing, but its a country thang.... you wouldn't understand....

jeepyjpsu- "I bet my cousins power wheel barbie jeep gets more "off road" time than that. She drives in the yard."

[quote=TYphoonXJ;9869020]Hahaha exactly :) 5.5" and no SYE or TC drop = more vibrations than pamela anderson could handle[/quote]
Unread 07-21-2010, 06:26 PM   #35
franknstn_cj5
2006 LJ Wrangler 

A JK is a pretty straight-forward lift setup. Using the shop is a very enticing thing, but I'm not gonna lie the XJ suspension, especially being 16 years old, is intimidating as poop
Unread 07-22-2010, 10:36 AM   #36
countrythang
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah the JK was easy, but cause the XJ is older, I am def. gonna be using it, i personally don't have any air tools or a welder and that is def. gonna help, especially with a lift. And I don't think its intimidating, but why if intimidating you wouldn't use it with the extras? I mean it is easy enough to do at your house though many have done it in their own garage, or even just in the driveway without a problem, so it is really up to you man... I'm def gonna keep up and see how it goes. Good luck man!

Unread 08-06-2010, 02:17 AM   #37
franknstn_cj5
2006 LJ Wrangler 

So tomorrow I'm going to the bay to install it! I had a few questions to ask you guys before doing so...

- Any extra things I should have on hand? The bay will have all the tools I could want, so that's not a deal. But any other odds and ends outside of tools that I should have I guess.

- I'm going to be using an AAL on this one, as previously stated, and I was just going to put it right under the main leaf - that sound good? This undoubtedly will sag and I'm going to replace it once it gets lazy, but it's all I could get on the island without possibly waiting months for a full pack to get shipped in!

I'm just going to go by the instructions that IRO sent me. This'll be my first full kit install, so I'm kinda nervous/excited I'm not gonna lie - hah but don't be surprised if I have a few questions tomorrow throughout the day!

I appreciate all the feedback guys, and I look forward to your feedback and, most of all, getting it done! Don't worry, I'll take tons of pictures of Rosie
Unread 08-07-2010, 01:00 AM   #38
franknstn_cj5
2006 LJ Wrangler 

So got through the first day alright - worked on it about 6 hours. The front end's about done - it was definitely some slow going, and some learn-as-you-go sort of thing. All in all, it was a lot more straight forward than I'd thought. I do have a few questions, though

On my RE Shocks, for the lower mount, the bottom actual shock mounting bracket that comes with the shock - for the life of me I can't figure out how to get it into the bushing and through the bottom hole of the shock. Here's a pic of what I mean...

I was thinking just machine pressing it in? I pounded on that thing and just couldn't get it go in - pretty frustrating.

Also, next... installing my OME steering stabilizer. On the end towards the drivers' side, there's a cotter pin you pull out, then take the nut off, then what else does it take to get that to seperate to get the stabilizer loose? I tried pounding it, but quickly found out that wasn't going to work. How do you guys normally get this out?

Some ranom pics...

Alright feedback is appreciated! I'll have a lot more to tell tomorrow once it's all done. Tomrrow I'll have a buddy working with me, so it'll be a lot easier to get things done with two pairs of hands!

Cheers guys, and have a good night -
Unread 08-07-2010, 08:55 PM   #39
franknstn_cj5
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Another day and some more work! Today got the rear leaves all put together with the shackles and put in. Also got the new double shear track bar and drop mount in, and the new steering stabilizer, and the front shocks.

A LOT of grinding and cutting today - it seems like nothing wanted to come out! Particularly on the original track bar mount - on the top bolt closest to the cab on the inside, there was a ROUND nut with a star bottom. NO idea why that was put in there, but just had to cut that puppy off...

Still have to patch everything up tomorrow - going to grab a few new nuts and bolts to make it all fit right. The AAL wasn't really all that bad. However, the rear end is definitely taking more time than the front end - which is kind of opposite of what I thought.

Next upgrade is definitely a drop pitman arm.

Anyhow, some random pics from today...

Tomorrow SHOULD be the last day
Unread 08-13-2010, 12:17 AM   #40
franknstn_cj5
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Alright well finishedher on Sunday after a few hours and a MORONIC mistake on our part.

So it was all our first time working with leaves in general (we're TJ guys in general) so we got the lift all put together and on and everything, and the rear axle kept moving every time we moved the Jeep!

Long story short: my kit came with 4 shackles, so I put them on both sides of the leaves in back! Haha, so I figured I'd share that ridiculous story with you guys. About an hour and minus two shackles later, my Jeep was done, and now is sitting in my driveway waiting to get aligned and back on the roads.

Pluses:

- I'd recommend IRO to anyone. I really like the sturdy contruction and straight-forward installation - although there was definitely some trial and error there. I even called them once and they walked me through a part of it, and were really friendly. And it was an ACTUAL GUY, not just a phone operator!

- No driveline vibes. Don't ask me how I did 4" without shims and didn't get any, but I didn't. I do have an SYE that I ordered in anticipation of vibes, so I'll probably put it on anyways. I did NOT use the TC case drop, because I don't like them in general

- No rubbing on 32's - always a plus. As you'll see soon, my future plans include Bushwackers that'll lead into more lift and 35's - but for right now, I'm satisfied with my no rubbing on 32's.

Negatives:

- I really don't like that IRO uses Rough Country for a lot of their leaf spring applications. I'm not a huge RC fan, but that's just my opinion. I wish they'd delve a little more into that - given the quality of their work I've seen so far, I'm sure they'd be pretty solid.

Future tentative plans (Short term):

- Safety safety safety: Now that my lift's on and she looks mean, I can focus on brakes, seals, bearings, fluids; everything that I need to do to make sure lasts.

- Exhaust: I've bounced around the idea of giving her a low rumble and a heck of a lot more exhaling - I'm more the don't-make-it-roar-unless-it's-a-v8 kinda guy, though. We'll see.

- Paint: Me and my buddies are thinking up an absurd paint scheme. Be on the lookout, because this is going to be ridiculous.

- CAGE AND CHOP! Yes, you read right, buy me a tube welder, chop the back off, and build a cage. I've always wanted to on an XJ. This'll include tube doors and a DIY soft top. Whoo hoo!

I'll take some pics of her finished and post them in the next few days
Unread 08-14-2010, 09:50 PM   #41
franknstn_cj5
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Okay, before, totally stock...

Anddd after first upgrade, 4" IRO, IRO LCA's, IRO Adjustable double shear trac-bar and drop mount, RE monotube's all the way around, OME steering stabilizer

I will say this is addicting, my friends...
Unread 08-15-2010, 03:03 PM   #42
CTeunuch
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Nice looking jeep, but in that 3rd picture it looks like you need to adjust that trackbar. It could just be the angle though...
99XJ 4.0/AW4/HP30/8.25 build coming soon...
www.undergroundjeeps.net
CTeunuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2010, 10:28 PM   #43
8point1
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I'm like your build so far. I have to say, your suspension, tire and wheel combo looks f-ing perfect. Keep up the good work!

And that is one gnarly roof rack!
8point1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2010, 11:28 PM   #44
menace2

Beautiful work!
Take advantage of the Hobby Shop, it'll save you a bundle on special tools you only need once in while and having access to a lift is gold. Plus there's usually someone who can guide you if you run into problems, like "permanent" bolts or strange engine symptoms. They used to do good A/C work there back in the day.
That roof rack! Don't know, looks like it was recon'd off an Austrian Army truck. Heavy duty - I want it.
Semper Fi
An old Jarhead
menace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2010, 01:52 AM   #45
franknstn_cj5
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8point1 View Post
I'm like your build so far. I have to say, your suspension, tire and wheel combo looks f-ing perfect. Keep up the good work!

And that is one gnarly roof rack!

Thanks man! I'm pretty satisfied with it so far - this is just "Stage 1" though, of course!

I think I've gotten more compliments around town about the roof rack than the actual Jeep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by menace2 View Post
Beautiful work!
Take advantage of the Hobby Shop, it'll save you a bundle on special tools you only need once in while and having access to a lift is gold. Plus there's usually someone who can guide you if you run into problems, like "permanent" bolts or strange engine symptoms. They used to do good A/C work there back in the day.
That roof rack! Don't know, looks like it was recon'd off an Austrian Army truck. Heavy duty - I want it.
Semper Fi
An old Jarhead

Semper Fi to you too brother!

I've found myself at that hobby shop nearly every weekend since I got the Jeep - it's definitely been a Godsend!

The roof rack is probably my favorite piece on the Jeep. I haven't had a chance to actually putanything up there yet, which is depressing. I'm thinking of taking a nap up there sometime just to make it useful

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.