Roselyn aka Rosie --- (a no-go for 56k'ers!) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Roselyn aka Rosie --- (a no-go for 56k'ers!)

LOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, YuRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!

Unread 05-13-2010, 11:12 PM   #1
franknstn_cj5
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Roselyn aka Rosie --- (a no-go for 56k'ers!)

My old thread got a little bit clutters with other things, so I'm going to re-start with a clean build thread from the ground up. So here's some stock specs...

Year: 1994
Model: XJ
Mileage: Around 65k
Motor: I6
Tranny: Auto
TC: N/A 2WD a huge downer, but too many other things were going for it to let it go at the price - I do plan on converting
Rear Diff: Chrysler 8.25
Mods: NONE! Bone stock

Problems:

Coolant leak (already fixed, was just a hose)
Slight oil leak
Some slight surface rust on roof

Price: $1100

Now, to my plans, and parts I've already gathered for the build...

Already ordered:

- RE 3.5" Superflex with full rear packs
- RE Twin Tube Shocks
- OME Steering stabilizer

- Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ's - apprx. 32X11.5" as they sit on Some TJ 16" Rubicon wheels

- TJ Flares from a 2001 Sahara (I know this isn't super popular with XJ'ers, but IMHO I like how they look and have always wanted to do it. They're green now, so I plan on sanding them down and putting some bed liner on them

- I picked up a JAOS roof rack - I got them off of another Marine who just got back from Japan. They're not sold much in the states but are really popular in Europe, Japan, and Australia I hear. It's really solid - I'm really impressed with their work!

YES it looks funky on my little (for now) Rosie! I'm going to fab up some different brackets to make it sit closer to the roof, but this is how it sits (the only thing installed on it so far)

So a ton of work ahead of me, obviously! I just got stationed on a base on Oahu that has an AWESOME automotive hobby shop (basically an auto shop you can rent out bays with lifts, tools, air lines, etc) here right on base a few minutes away, so I'm already pummmppeeddddddd

I don't know any other Jeepers out here, though - so my tuner Marine buddies will have to be schooled up in Jeep to help me out!

I really want to improve my fab skills on this build - Hussler inspired me there! I'm 22 - I'm done putting it off!

So my build sheet/plans:

- Trim fender flares and install TJ flares
- Install lift (once RE hurries up - it's already been 2 1/2 weeks!)
- Start on armor/re-enforcing body/frame, including bumpers

So here's to another painful XJ build!

And on a side note, here's my son's newest Jeep buys!

franknstn_cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2010, 05:36 PM   #2
franknstn_cj5
2006 LJ Wrangler 

A little hickup in my plans.

RE called me and said that the 3.5" Superflex is actually backordered more until the 28th of is month, when they actually told me last week it had already shipped. So unfortunately, I'm going to shop around a bit and see if I find another kit that'll fit my needs, as well as keep their word.

RC is kind of out of the picture for me - I think I've heard one too many horror stories about them, and Oahu Krawlers, the guys I work with a lot, won't even order them.

I need some suggestions on a lift once again then! Minimum of 3", max of 4.5", although I'd ideally like to stay right in the middle around 3.5"-4". I'm running 32X11.5" apprx. how they sit right now --

Let me know guys - I really need some feedback - sucks because I was already set on that lift!

Unread 05-14-2010, 05:52 PM   #3
Mighty Thor
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Looks to me like you could use the brackets you have on the roof rack and put stuff in the lower holes, or for that matter, use the brackets you have and drill new holes. Those gutter mounts look to be as good as it gets and I myself would be inclined to keep them with some mods. If you decide to go with different mounts I bet you could sell those here in a heartbeat.
Mighty Thor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2010, 06:18 PM   #4
justanotherjpr

Quote:
Originally Posted by franknstn_cj5 View Post
A little hickup in my plans.

RE called me and said that the 3.5" Superflex is actually backordered more until the 28th of is month, when they actually told me last week it had already shipped. So unfortunately, I'm going to shop around a bit and see if I find another kit that'll fit my needs, as well as keep their word.

RC is kind of out of the picture for me - I think I've heard one too many horror stories about them, and Oahu Krawlers, the guys I work with a lot, won't even order them.

I need some suggestions on a lift once again then! Minimum of 3", max of 4.5", although I'd ideally like to stay right in the middle around 3.5"-4". I'm running 32X11.5" apprx. how they sit right now --

Let me know guys - I really need some feedback - sucks because I was already set on that lift!

RE dropping the shipment is the best thing that could have happened to you! Their front springs for the 3.5" kit are 241lbs - WAY too stiff.

For other lift options, these companies are well reported:
www.rockKrawler.com
IRON ROCK OFF ROAD
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2010, 01:29 AM   #5
franknstn_cj5
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Rockkrawler looks good, but I wish they had some type of intermediate between the 3.0 entry level (pretty much bugdet build) and their 4.5" Short-arm system with AAL.

Also, IRO looks good as well, but does their 4" have a full leaf option? All I saw on their product page was with AAL's.

Ugh. So many choices. I guess back to the drawing board...
Unread 05-15-2010, 01:48 AM   #6
franknstn_cj5
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Also looking at the RC 4.5" "X-factor" or whatever they're calling it - the short arm system. Is there any group buys going on?
Unread 05-16-2010, 09:18 PM   #7
franknstn_cj5
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Update: RE already has the shipment en-route, so they apologized for the mix-up, and hopefully it'll be here next week.

Sanded my TJ flares and sprayed on some cheap bedliner yesterday kind of as a test-run just to see if I liked it, and I actually do! So 3 coats later, anddd I've got me some nice lookin flares. This was originally just going to be an under-lying for some U-Pol Raptor...

Went ahead and took off flares, cleaned, and taped a bit. Will trace and do some more prep this week, and the actual cutting won't be until next weekend, a little closer to when the lift will actually be coming in and installed.

Jeepbub08's XJ from his "35's with no lift" thread is sexy! It's chopped with a nice cage in it, and, from the title, 35's with no lift! Makes me think about the whole chopping idea again....

Unread 05-16-2010, 09:32 PM   #8
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

your roof basket is awesome .. the brackets are the not for sure... but the basket is killer ..

What size is that 40x50?

And when you get your new wheels on, its going to look like you have a different jeep!!
Project1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2010, 09:42 PM   #9
franknstn_cj5
2006 LJ Wrangler 

About 45"WX70"L.... it's pretty much the whole roof of the XJ. I can lay down in it - it's kind of a ridiculous plethera of space, but I love it nonetheless. It dwarfs the Yakima MegaWarrior on my poor Commander!

I'm waiting patiently on my lifffttt.... and it's getting annoyyyinnggg.. I'm just making up projects to do at this point! Yesterday I detailed my SON'S powerwheels wrangler. I mean, REALLY?!
Unread 05-16-2010, 09:57 PM   #10
Spencer43783
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I'm waiting patiently on my lifffttt.... and it's getting annoyyyinnggg.. I'm just making up projects to do at this point! Yesterday I detailed my SON'S powerwheels wrangler. I mean, REALLY?!
Hahahahaha!

Now that is boredom at its' finest!
Unread 05-17-2010, 12:07 AM   #11
franknstn_cj5
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Crapppppppp I didn't order an adjustable track bar. Will it hurt my front end to not run this until it comes in? Maybe I'll get one rushed... Bad thing about living in Hawaii = your biggest concern isn't necessarily the price of it, but how much and even IF they'll ship it out here!

Anyhow, bottom line, adjustable track bar, needed with the RE6030?
Unread 05-17-2010, 12:26 AM   #12
justanotherjpr

You can re-drill the track bar mount and will be OK. Check out T&T Customs, Inc. Home Page for a great track bar and bracket.
Unread 05-17-2010, 01:38 AM   #13
franknstn_cj5
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Well, in all honesty, if I was going to buy a drop bracket for $100, why not just get an adjustable for around $160? Is the drop just a quick fix and the adjustable arm the best option, or is there some advantage to having the drop that I'm missing?
Unread 05-17-2010, 10:09 AM   #14
justanotherjpr

Quote:
Well, in all honesty, if I was going to buy a drop bracket for $100, why not just get an adjustable for around $160? Is the drop just a quick fix and the adjustable arm the best option, or is there some advantage to having the drop that I'm missing?
The bar from RE uses the stock bracket. The drop bracket allows you to use a new, much beefier bar (that they also sell) which offers a lot more adjustability and puts the upper mount into double sheer.

Edit: Here you can see the drop bracket and the upper track bar mount is in double sheer. Much stronger than using the stock bracket and you are not relying on a joint for your droop, the joint rotates on a bolt instead. Maybe I'm a wuss but the bars that use basically a tie rod end and go into the stock bracket scare me (especially after all the Rusty's breakage)

Unread 05-17-2010, 07:36 PM   #15
franknstn_cj5
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I see yeah that does make a lot more sense. Does that mount into some existing holes or will I have to re-drill to install that? I think I'll order it tonight, provided they ship out here to HI.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.