Roof top basket - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Roof top basket

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 01-03-2007, 12:58 PM   #1
Cherokeegrrl
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Roof top basket

I know most guys here seem to like the Surco racks, but I'm seriously thinking of getting this roof carrier to go on my XJ. Does anyone else have this brand? Any issues, concerns, comments? Will it fit my Jeep? What about the size? Feel free to let me know what you all think. Also, I wonder if the standard Hi-lift jack mounts will be compatible with this model.

Red Jeep Club Member #425
"Mud is evil."
Cherokeegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2007, 01:05 PM   #2
mecompco
www.midcoastjeep.com

1994 XJ Cherokee 

I dunno--seems pretty small at just over 36" wide, and the OEM rails you'll be mounting it to are not known for their sturdiness. For around the same $ as a larger Surco w/correct mounting hardware I don't think it is a great deal--just MHO, of course. I could have bought any rack and chose the Surco for the light weight and good value. My buddy has a Wilderness rack that is super heavy duty steel, but it is heavy, has bent his drip rail, and cost over twice what my Surco did.
Suspension: Old Man Emu 3" lift+OME AAL, JKS adjustable trackbar, QDs, LCAs UCAs, A.C.O.S., DPG Offroad adjustable bumpstop plate, Daystar poly bumpstops.
Steering: Currie HD steering, C-ROK steering box reinforcement, OME stabilizer.
Armor/Recovery: T&T Custom belly skid, Mopar gas tank skid, JKS LCA mini skids, Rock Lizard Super Skink Sliders, Mopar 2" receiver, ARB Bull Bar/Ramsey REP 8.5 winch.
Drive train: D30 front axle w/Superior Chromo D30 axles & outter seals, D/S 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, Ruff Stuff cover. Ford 8.8 rear axle w/Superior Super 88 kit, Ford Motor Sports 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, SOLID cover, Russell stainless lines. Front and rear Tom Woods HD drive shafts, 242 x-fer case w/Tom Woods SYE.
Tires/Wheels: 33x10.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains on Alcoas.
Misc: Garvin Wilderness rack, Safari Snorkel, Redline Tuning hood lifts.
Awaiting installation: Autometer A pillar gauge pod, oil, water, & tranny temp guages, PIAA driving lights, Goferit tie-rod flip bushing, '95 Brake booster and M/C, M.O.R.E. Motor mounts, TnT Custom 1.5" Shackle.
Stroker Project: HO Block, '99 intake manifold, bored TB, 1" TB spacer, Dynomax Blackjack Header, Permacool electric fan.
mecompco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2007, 01:07 PM   #3
QHays

Looks like a decent basket for the price. Never noticed that one before -- just be sure not to get a Zacatal off eBay -- craptacular. It should fit on the XJ fine, although you'll probably want crossbars from Yakima or Thule (since the factory rails are chintzy). You could also probably use the Hi-Lift mount from Yakima, which is less than perfect, but can be made pretty solid with a little ingenuity. Are you planning on putting the spare up there too? Might be a little small with a 31" and any amount of cargo (I have a Yakima mega-warrior with extension and have a decent amount of cargo room with the spare up there, but it's a lot bigger than that one). I say go for it...
QHays is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2007, 02:42 PM   #4
JohnnyX
1999 XJ Cherokee 

i love my zacatal rack off ebay.
North Jersey Jeep Club Member- #83
www.northjerseyjeepclub.org
the rig:
http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/8980/jeep2xq0.jpg
CHECK OUT MY BAND- www.myspace.com/myrtleave
JohnnyX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2007, 03:02 PM   #5
JohnnyEpic
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Yea, I'm not sure if that's a great deal. I have the 45x50 surco and it's well worth the money. It's almost exactly the same price. I'd do surco if I were you...I got mine from Summit and it's the cheapest I found.

BTW mecompco, thanks for the pic a few weeks ago of your rack install...I finally got mine and got it all installed and it's great...thanks again for the pic that threw me over the edge to go get one
JohnnyEpic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2007, 08:08 PM   #6
Bowhunter46563
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I have a Surco wworks great and lightweight which I like. I would rather bend the aluminum rack then trash the roof or tear off the channel.
01 XJ/4" lift/33" DC Muds/Sidebiter Wheels/Surco/ Hi-lift/Pilot lights/Bad Apple Fab diff gaurds/Front and rear receiver hitches/Rusty's LCA's/ Magnaflow/Rubi HD Track bar and Brace/Big Daddy tie rod/TB Spacer/Ractive air intake/ Jet Stage 1/Pioneeer & Fusion Sound/AJ's Super rails/Warn Skid /BW Flat Flares/Bedlined Rockers and Quarters
Bowhunter46563 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2007, 08:30 PM   #7
XJ Rob

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ALUMI...ayphotohosting

This one looks nice, and could probably be fitted to a Jeep easily
90 XJ 4x4, 4.0, 4dr, random scatches and dents, R.E. 3.5 lift with fenders trimmed 2", 31x10.5 Maxxis Bighorns, and some other home-brewed tweeks, and here are some pics [url]http://new.photos.yahoo.com/d5string/album/576460762392129763[/url]

99 XJ 4x4, 4.0, 4dr. (hers)
Stock to the extreme
XJ Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2007, 11:02 AM   #8
Cherokeegrrl
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ Rob
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ALUMI...ayphotohosting

This one looks nice, and could probably be fitted to a Jeep easily
That seller has had 21 negative feedbacks in a month. No way would I deal with him.

Guys, I can get that rack from eTrailer for $149+ $12 shipping. And an extension is available for it. I don't plan to use it for the spare ... but you never know what the future might bring. I might be running 32's or 33's after I add another 1.5 to 2" of lift, and the spare might be too much for my tire carrier.

But I just like the looks of the Rola (Surcos are plain), I like the wind fairing on it, and if it's as sturdy as they say it is (being from Australia and all ...), it just might be worth the price. The dimensions do concern me though. What size racks is everyone running? I see the Surco's come in several different sizes/models.
Unread 01-04-2007, 11:05 AM   #9
XxpeditionxJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokeegrrl
That seller has had 21 negative feedbacks in a month. No way would I deal with him.

Guys, I can get that rack from eTrailer for $149+ $12 shipping. And an extension is available for it. I don't plan to use it for the spare ... but you never know what the future might bring. I might be running 32's or 33's after I add another 1.5 to 2" of lift, and the spare might be too much for my tire carrier.

But I just like the looks of the Rola (Surcos are plain), I like the wind fairing on it, and if it's as sturdy as they say it is (being from Australia and all ...), it just might be worth the price. The dimensions do concern me though. What size racks is everyone running? I see the Surco's come in several different sizes/models.
I have the Yakima Mega Warrior. It has a fairing and is huge. I carry any and everything with it.
[COLOR="Blue"][COLOR="Red"]Flame Red [/COLOR]2000 Jeep XJ. I6-4.0 Powertec. Dana 30 FE. Chrysl 8.25 RE. NP231 xfer. 245x75x16 on Rubicon Wheels. K&N Cold Air Intake. Magnaflow High Performance Cat. Flowmaster 40 Series. Stuff..[/COLOR]
XxpeditionxJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2007, 11:29 AM   #10
Jason, aka: Jeepin.com
Vendor

1995 XJ Cherokee 

My Warrior Products rack is 45x55", and I think that's small. That Rola rack looks nice, but it's itty-bity. Looks more suited for a Jetta than a Jeep.
'00 TJ, SOLD, wife's, RE 4.5" long-arm, 35" MT/Rs, D30+OX, D44+ARB, 4.88s, full cage, winch, C4x4 & Jeeperman bumpers, etc, etc.

Jason, aka: Jeepin.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2007, 11:58 AM   #11
mecompco
www.midcoastjeep.com

1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyepic
Yea, I'm not sure if that's a great deal. I have the 45x50 surco and it's well worth the money. It's almost exactly the same price. I'd do surco if I were you...I got mine from Summit and it's the cheapest I found.

BTW mecompco, thanks for the pic a few weeks ago of your rack install...I finally got mine and got it all installed and it's great...thanks again for the pic that threw me over the edge to go get one
You're welcome. I think the 45x50 is a great size--the 45x60 would be OK too. Here's a repost of mine for the OP:

Suspension: Old Man Emu 3" lift+OME AAL, JKS adjustable trackbar, QDs, LCAs UCAs, A.C.O.S., DPG Offroad adjustable bumpstop plate, Daystar poly bumpstops.
Armor/Recovery: T&T Custom belly skid, Mopar gas tank skid, JKS LCA mini skids, Rock Lizard Super Skink Sliders, Mopar 2" receiver, ARB Bull Bar/Ramsey REP 8.5 winch.
Drive train: D30 front axle w/Superior Chromo D30 axles & outter seals, D/S 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, Ruff Stuff cover. Ford 8.8 rear axle w/Superior Super 88 kit, Ford Motor Sports 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, SOLID cover, Russell stainless lines. Front and rear Tom Woods HD drive shafts, 242 x-fer case w/Tom Woods SYE.
Awaiting installation: Autometer A pillar gauge pod, oil, water, & tranny temp guages, PIAA driving lights, Goferit tie-rod flip bushing, '95 Brake booster and M/C, M.O.R.E. Motor mounts, TnT Custom 1.5" Shackle.
Stroker Project: HO Block, '99 intake manifold, bored TB, 1" TB spacer, Dynomax Blackjack Header, Permacool electric fan.
Unread 01-04-2007, 12:05 PM   #12
Cherokeegrrl
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Thanx for the pix! I started this conversation just before the holidays asking what everyone was running. Then I searched some more (I think I saw these pics then), found the Rola, even tho' most prefer the Surco. I'm torn ... I've always liked to be a bit different from the crowd, but I want value and a proven product. I like the size of some Surco's, and the style of the Rola.

Ah ... decisions, decisions ...
Unread 01-04-2007, 12:24 PM   #13
mecompco
www.midcoastjeep.com

1994 XJ Cherokee 

Ha ha--I know what'cha mean! The funny thing is, 99.9% of the people who see it won't have any clue about who made it or how different it is. Some folks have added a front spoiler to the Surco--I think from Thule that looks good, too, and might cut down some wind resistance. I've seen other Surcos that had round holes cut in the flat plates and others that have had diamond plate added to the sides, so I guess any rack can be customized.
Unread 01-04-2007, 02:19 PM   #14
UncleBud

I like the look of that rola as well, they'd have to make others larger I'm sure???
UncleBud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2007, 02:43 PM   #15
JohnnyEpic
1993 XJ Cherokee 

I have the 45"x50" and I think that's the perfect size. I think 60" would be a little too long for my taste.

I haven't really noticed any wind noise or decrease in MPG since putting it on...I don't I'll do a fairing...I'm going the opposite and getting more wind resistance with four 6" lights
JohnnyEpic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.