Roof Rack Measurements for a LJ guy, please - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Roof Rack Measurements for a LJ guy, please

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-30-2013, 08:03 PM   #1
-JD-
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Roof Rack Measurements for a LJ guy, please

Hi, folks.

I'm looking to install a roof rack on my LJ's hardtop. One option is the THULE tracks but I'd like to go longer that the longest 60" THULE. A number of folks have used junkyard Cherokee racks.

Does anybody know, or be willing to measure, what the track-length (without end caps) and track-track spacing are for the various generations?

Thanks. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2006 Rubicon Unlimited 6-Sp Manual - 285/75/16 Cooper ST MAXX/stock Moab wheels, Savvy Under Armor BL/MML, Savvy Step-Rocker/Sliders, Savvy/Currie Ultimate Steering, Savvy UCAs, Currie LCAs, TBs and BSs, Nth/AEV 3" Springs, Rancho 9000XLs (255s/256s), ARB D44 Diff covers, Savvy/Tom Woods HD Rubicon Rear drive shaft, Genright Safari 31gal Tank Soon: Savvy LED Lights, new engine :-(
-JD- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2013, 10:01 PM   #2
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Hey,
The track length on my '96 XJ is 68" w/o end caps. The cross bars are infinitely adjustable along the length. Grab extra cross bars if you see any at the yard. I don't think there was much change to the roof racks across the years of XJ generations but the most signicant change was from 96 to 97 so there is a difference, that's where it'd likely be. Good luck in your quest and may a little bit of XJ live on in your LJ.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
VOTE for the Rocktober Cherokee Of The Month!!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2013, 04:52 AM   #3
-JD-
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj View Post
Hey,
The track length on my '96 XJ is 68" w/o end caps. The cross bars are infinitely adjustable along the length. Grab extra cross bars if you see any at the yard. I don't think there was much change to the roof racks across the years of XJ generations but the most signicant change was from 96 to 97 so there is a difference, that's where it'd likely be. Good luck in your quest and may a little bit of XJ live on in your LJ.
Thanks Chris!!!!

Any idea what the width (between the tracks) is?

I'm trying to hit a specific width (around 46" track-fasteners to track-fasteners) in order to tie in to both shell layers where they are bonded. That will let me know if I can use the factory cross bars or not. I'd certainly pick up the cross-bars if I see them and the width works, otherwise I'll be forced into Thule mounts.

Thanks again.
2006 Rubicon Unlimited 6-Sp Manual - 285/75/16 Cooper ST MAXX/stock Moab wheels, Savvy Under Armor BL/MML, Savvy Step-Rocker/Sliders, Savvy/Currie Ultimate Steering, Savvy UCAs, Currie LCAs, TBs and BSs, Nth/AEV 3" Springs, Rancho 9000XLs (255s/256s), ARB D44 Diff covers, Savvy/Tom Woods HD Rubicon Rear drive shaft, Genright Safari 31gal Tank Soon: Savvy LED Lights, new engine :-(
Unread 07-01-2013, 10:38 AM   #4
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

My tracks are at 46" OC (fastener to fastener), which leaves about 45.5" between them.
It seems like this might be a workable solution for you.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
VOTE for the Rocktober Cherokee Of The Month!!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2013, 02:28 PM   #5
-JD-
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Actually it is just perfect in both dimensions! Thanks again for checking on the width! Now I just need to find one ...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.