Roof Rack Measurements for a LJ guy, please - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Roof Rack Measurements for a LJ guy, please

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 06-30-2013, 08:03 PM   #1
-JD-
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Roof Rack Measurements for a LJ guy, please

Hi, folks.

I'm looking to install a roof rack on my LJ's hardtop. One option is the THULE tracks but I'd like to go longer that the longest 60" THULE. A number of folks have used junkyard Cherokee racks.

Does anybody know, or be willing to measure, what the track-length (without end caps) and track-track spacing are for the various generations?

Thanks. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2006 Rubicon Unlimited 6-Sp Manual - 285/75/16 Cooper ST MAXX/stock Moab wheels, Savvy Under Armor BL/MML, Savvy Step-Rocker/Sliders, Savvy/Currie Ultimate Steering, Savvy UCAs, Currie LCAs, TBs and BSs, Nth/AEV 3" Springs, Rancho 9000XLs (255s/256s), ARB D44 Diff covers, Savvy/Tom Woods HD Rubicon Rear drive shaft, Genright Safari 31gal Tank Soon: Savvy LED Lights, new engine :-(
-JD- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 10:01 PM   #2
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Hey,
The track length on my '96 XJ is 68" w/o end caps. The cross bars are infinitely adjustable along the length. Grab extra cross bars if you see any at the yard. I don't think there was much change to the roof racks across the years of XJ generations but the most signicant change was from 96 to 97 so there is a difference, that's where it'd likely be. Good luck in your quest and may a little bit of XJ live on in your LJ.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009

Vote for the Jurassic July Cherokee Of The Month!!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 04:52 AM   #3
-JD-
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj View Post
Hey,
The track length on my '96 XJ is 68" w/o end caps. The cross bars are infinitely adjustable along the length. Grab extra cross bars if you see any at the yard. I don't think there was much change to the roof racks across the years of XJ generations but the most signicant change was from 96 to 97 so there is a difference, that's where it'd likely be. Good luck in your quest and may a little bit of XJ live on in your LJ.
Thanks Chris!!!!

Any idea what the width (between the tracks) is?

I'm trying to hit a specific width (around 46" track-fasteners to track-fasteners) in order to tie in to both shell layers where they are bonded. That will let me know if I can use the factory cross bars or not. I'd certainly pick up the cross-bars if I see them and the width works, otherwise I'll be forced into Thule mounts.

Thanks again.
2006 Rubicon Unlimited 6-Sp Manual - 285/75/16 Cooper ST MAXX/stock Moab wheels, Savvy Under Armor BL/MML, Savvy Step-Rocker/Sliders, Savvy/Currie Ultimate Steering, Savvy UCAs, Currie LCAs, TBs and BSs, Nth/AEV 3" Springs, Rancho 9000XLs (255s/256s), ARB D44 Diff covers, Savvy/Tom Woods HD Rubicon Rear drive shaft, Genright Safari 31gal Tank Soon: Savvy LED Lights, new engine :-(
Unread 07-01-2013, 10:38 AM   #4
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

My tracks are at 46" OC (fastener to fastener), which leaves about 45.5" between them.
It seems like this might be a workable solution for you.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009

Vote for the Jurassic July Cherokee Of The Month!!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 02:28 PM   #5
-JD-
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Actually it is just perfect in both dimensions! Thanks again for checking on the width! Now I just need to find one ...

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.