Rolls In Park. Bad T-Case or more? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Rolls In Park. Bad T-Case or more?

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 06-28-2013, 09:59 AM   #1
KevLaredo
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Rolls In Park. Bad T-Case or more?

I have a bad transfer case and my jeep rolls in park and will not move forwards or backwards in any gear. Makes a horrible grinding noise when I try. Could just the T-case cause this or is my trans more than likely blown too?

1997 Jeep Cherokee XJ Sport

4.0L inline six, 4x4 (obviously)

Thank You

Unread 06-28-2013, 10:03 AM   #2
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevLaredo View Post
I have a bad transfer case and my jeep rolls in park and will not move forwards or backwards in any gear. Makes a horrible grinding noise when I try. Could just the T-case cause this or is my trans more than likely blown too?

1997 Jeep Cherokee XJ Sport

4.0L inline six, 4x4 (obviously)

Thank You
Sounds like your tranny went South.

Man who stands in front of Jeep gets tired. Man who stands behind Jeep gets exhausted.
CCKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 11:23 AM   #3
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Wow, I think I'd do a bit more "diagnostic" inspection before I threw in the towel on your tranny.

Is the t-case in...or in between... neutral and any other gear? 4H or 4L
How do you know your t-case is shot?

If the t-case IS shot why do you think the tranny is too?
Paradise XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 11:26 AM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

What is wrong with your Transfer Case, and how did you diagnose the failure ? Are you sure the problem/noises isn't because the T-Case is not fully engaged in gear ?

If the T-Case is not in gear, it will grind, the Jeep will probably will not move under power, and the Jeep can roll around by itself when in park.

Edit: I type slowly.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 11:37 AM   #5
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

If the vehicle 'rolls' in park doesn't that mean the Park Pawl in the tranny is broke?

Man who stands in front of Jeep gets tired. Man who stands behind Jeep gets exhausted.
CCKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 11:53 AM   #6
KevLaredo
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCKen View Post
If the vehicle 'rolls' in park doesn't that mean the Park Pawl in the tranny is broke?
This is what I thought too. I had every gear but reverse and the truck ran and drove until the other day. Reverse made a horrible grinding noise. Every other gear was smooth. Tried to drive it over to my mechanic and shortly after leaving I heard the grinding noise while I was moving forward and the Jeep suddenly acted like it was in neutral in every gear. So I took my foot off the gas and rolled it back downhill (in drive acting as nuetral) to a parking lot and had it towed. I thought my transmission went but my mechanic says the T-Case is blown too. I have no idea. Also the T-Case says 242 J on the id tag. Will an NV242 swap in?
Unread 06-28-2013, 02:07 PM   #7
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

If the T-case is in neutral, or otherwise broken, the engine AND transmission are disconnected from the wheels, allowing for movement in park and/or non movement in gear...
Fix the T-case FIRST, THEN see what's going on with the transmission.
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 02:13 PM   #8
KevLaredo
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Thank you. That is my speculation. Any word on what the horrible grinding noise might be?
Unread 06-28-2013, 02:38 PM   #9
94TwoDoor
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Maybe the shift linkage is just snapped and it happens to be stuck in nuetral in the T-case, close enough to engaged to grind when in reverse.

Always verify an expensive or difficult part is really broken before replacing it.
94TwoDoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 03:30 PM   #10
KevLaredo
1997 XJ Cherokee 

That seems likely. I suspect my mechanic may be stupid. Is that something I can inspect without removing the T-Case? If the linkage snapped would I have to replace the whole case?
Unread 06-28-2013, 03:46 PM   #11
94TwoDoor
1994 XJ Cherokee 

The linkage is just a collection of metal pieces that connect the 4WD shift handle inside to the side of the transfer case, look up towards the drivers side of the t-case from underneath with a flashlight while someone shifts the 4wd shifter and you'll see it moving. Just make sure it's actually moving the arm on the T-case. I know mine got pretty rusty and the hinge parts were trashed.
94TwoDoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 10:28 PM   #12
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

It is VERY unusual for the XC to totally crap the bed. I suspect a misadjusted/broken XC linkage is causing the XC to be partially "out of gear" and thus making the horrible noises.

Adjust the XC linkage per spec. Inspect to confirm the linkage is in good working order. Repair/replace as needed.

if it STILL makes horrible noises, start by adjusting the trans linkage.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 10:12 AM   #13
CitadelXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

The 242 is pretty much the same on jeep vehicles. The j on it stands for jeep. But, they changed the designation from NP242J to NV242. They should be the same thing with the same bolt part if pulled out of an XJ/ZJ/WJ?. The main issue is to double check the input shaft spline count. There are 21 and 23 spline models.
CitadelXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 06:37 AM   #14
gs69350

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitadelXJ View Post
The 242 is pretty much the same on jeep vehicles. The j on it stands for jeep. But, they changed the designation from NP242J to NV242. They should be the same thing with the same bolt part if pulled out of an XJ/ZJ/WJ?. The main issue is to double check the input shaft spline count. There are 21 and 23 spline models.
WJ is different, speedo housing and gear not present.

Be sure to check for internal or external yoke.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited Platinum; 2" BB, 225/75/16 Wrangler MT/R --GONE--
http://www.facebook.com/groups/59limited/ <-- 5.9 Owner's group on FB.
gs69350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 07:36 AM   #15
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

If you have not already... Chock the wheels and make sure the parking brake is on. get under the jeep, and find the transfer case selection lever. Physically move it and see if it clicks into gear. (IIRC, pulling it forward and down will make it go into 2WD)

if it does go into gear, your linkage is out of adjustment or shot. The AW4 trans is pretty hard to kill, and generally doesnt grind and die.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.