Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

roll cage fab?

3K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  bmyohn 
#1 ·
Im sure this has been discussed but for those who have built a roll cage ....what diameter and what wall thickness tubing did you use. I want to fab up a nice roll cage so pics of what you have done would be:thumbsup:

#5 ·
I built my internal cage out of 1.5" x.120 wall. I have seen 1.75" x .120 wall but on an XJ it seems to get a little crowded. If you are planning on building an Exo Cage I would recommend 1.75" X .120 wall. If you need pictures I could take some and post them up for you.

#8 ·
Here are a few pics of the cage I built. Sorry for how long it took to get them up.

#11 ·
LEAD_NOT_FOLLOW said:
I'm really diggn' those rear headrests....
The funny part it was a complete mistake. When I finished up the cage my brother sat in the back seat and put his head back. His head hit the crossbar for the rear 4 point seat belts. So we took the head rest off the old front seats and made head rests for the back seats. The funny thing is everyone likes the head rests.

#12 ·
Cruzin Illusion said:
The funny part it was a complete mistake. When I finished up the cage my brother sat in the back seat and put his head back. His head hit the crossbar for the rear 4 point seat belts. So we took the head rest off the old front seats and made head rests for the back seats. The funny thing is everyone likes the head rests.
Coming from a background of racing and having built several cages in my BMW's I know the issues with the crossbar/belt bars. Thats why I liked them so well as they are definatly an added saftey feature with the cage.

I also noticed that the bar is removable, again something I like a lot if you needed to lay the back seat down and fit something larger in the cargo area.

Good looking cage! :thumbsup:

#13 ·
LEAD_NOT_FOLLOW said:
Coming from a background of racing and having built several cages in my BMW's I know the issues with the crossbar/belt bars. Thats why I liked them so well as they are definatly an added saftey feature with the cage.

I also noticed that the bar is removable, again something I like a lot if you needed to lay the back seat down and fit something larger in the cargo area.

Good looking cage! :thumbsup:
That was one stipulation by the wife is the Cherokee needed to be fully funtional. With this cage design everything still works as designed. The rear seat folds down and the bottom portion still is removable. I did build the rear cross bar to come out if we ever needed to use the back area for cargo. Thanks for the great compliment.

#17 ·
Matt Gertsch said:
That's one of the cleanest cages that I've seen Cruzin. Very nice. :thumbsup:
Thanks Matt!!!

#18 ·
Cruzin, if u ever head to the Midwest, feel free to take my jeep and do what ever u want to it. everything u've done looks GREAT!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.