rod bearings bad? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > rod bearings bad?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 01-05-2010, 06:34 PM   #1
hifooy07
1992 YJ Wrangler 

rod bearings bad?

took the oil pan off to change the oil pump was checking around in there and the rods wiggle and move a little on the crank. this cant be normal? the motor wasnt knocking or anything before dropping the pan it did chatter on start up i suspected the fram oil filter was to blame seemed like it was dry starting and it was. the oil filter kept draining back into the motor. what now? i didnt pull the caps off. trying to find out if theres supposed to be some wiggle room or are the bearings shot? probably means the crank bearings are shot too?

hifooy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2010, 08:40 PM   #2
Bustedmp
1992 XJ Cherokee 

When you say wiggle around, do you mean front to back inline with the crank, or side to side against the crank. If you can feel any movement against the crank side to side, you've got bad bearings. If the movement is front to back, that is ok. The bearing clearance is only a few thousandths of an inch. If the bearings are bad enough for you to feel any movement that way, it would most likely knock like a cold diesel engine.
Unread 01-05-2010, 09:03 PM   #3
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Why don't you buy some plastigage at the auto parts store and MEASURE the clearances, like any professional would do?
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2010, 06:08 PM   #4
hifooy07
1992 YJ Wrangler 

because im not a PROFESSIONAL... hence the original question!
Unread 01-06-2010, 06:37 PM   #5
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifooy07 View Post
because im not a PROFESSIONAL... hence the original question!
A quick google on "measuring journal bearing clearances" allowed me to find this site, which does a good job of describing what you need to do:

Installing, Plastigauging and Measuring Bearing Clearances - Honda, Acura Tech Website, tutorials, tuning and HOW-TO's. Drag racing, street racing, road racing - C-speedracing.com

This is good too:

http://www.jensenhealey.com/tech/pla...astigauge.html
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2010, 06:47 PM   #6
hifooy07
1992 YJ Wrangler 

sweet thank you. Ill check this out and see how things go. I did find some metal shavings stuck in the oil pick up tube. probably a hint of bad bearings?
Unread 01-06-2010, 07:54 PM   #7
waltercrovo
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifooy07 View Post
sweet thank you. Ill check this out and see how things go. I did find some metal shavings stuck in the oil pick up tube. probably a hint of bad bearings?
side play on your rods is NORMAL...that baby would be freak'n knock like there is no tommarrow if they had play you could muster with your fingers in a up and down=parallel motion to the piston travel. they are very easy replace. more than likely you are good to go..if you have over 100k on it i would throw a new set in. in it not uncommon to see some particles in a high milage engine.
waltercrovo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2010, 08:58 PM   #8
Holder350
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Jeep Strokers • Trucks! Cheep Cherokee Buildup

Watch part 5 about 8min in THATS not good....

98' XJ Classic - D30/C8.25 - 4.5" RC Lift - 33x12.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
Holder350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 10:16 AM   #9
hifooy07
1992 YJ Wrangler 

wow im 100% sure mine is good lol. mine moves no where near that.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.