Rockers for Labor Day - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Rockers for Labor Day

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 09-03-2011, 06:02 PM   #1
Diamond-x
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Rockers for Labor Day

Thought I'd have enough time to complete rockers during the long weekend. Picked up some surplus 3" x 6" as well as some plate and 1.5"x1.5" to connect to the sub-frame.

First cuts...

Removed the rail, no rust

Drilled for Rosette welds

Test fit

I cut the end caps and will weld them on tomorrow. I also plan to cut the passenger rocker off and see how much welding I can get done.

After I got the steel home I thought I had made an error and bought too big. After fitting it in place I like how low it sits, enough to protect well below the pinch seam.

Now, time for smoked ribs!

Diamond-x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2011, 11:05 PM   #2
biztyke
2001 XJ Cherokee 

looks good. i was planning this on my 90, never got around to it(i have a welder, just lacking experience, time, money and space). ended up buying a newer xj with rock sliders installed.

i still plan on doing something like this, and bumpers just to have some fun with the welder.

keep us posted.
biztyke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2011, 06:35 PM   #3
raypla
1999 XJ Cherokee 

What I did plug welded some 1x1.8" strap through the sill and into the 2x6 made for a nice clean edge and something substantial to weld too. My rockers were replaced due to the rusting from the inside out. Pics speak louder than words......

what I was working with

99 XJ 4.0 D30 29sp 8.25, IRO TB & HD Tie Rod, Kellys WIP main 5 wires 1AWG http://www.kelleyswip.com/price.html, Banks header, Stainless Magnaflow catback, cat, 2" OME lift, JC1B Leafs, OME sports, JKS discos, 30X9.5X15 BFG AT's, Fastman 62mmTB, Cibie E-codes with 55/60 Osram bulbs, Putco harness=JUNK!!, Alpine 7563 Deck, PWX 10" Cubby, JBL GTI 180.2 400wX1 rms, 6.5 Infinity Perfects , front PWX 6.5, Infinity ref amp 111wX4 rms, Optima Yellow, 100 sqft of http://store.secondskinaudio.com/damplifier/
raypla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2011, 08:42 PM   #4
Diamond-x
1991 XJ Cherokee 

[QUOTE=raypla;12124547]
QUOTE]

Looks great.

I've seen your build, you weld like a pro. Mine look like dog ****. I either burned up the metal or didn't penetrate enough. I may use your idea just to clean it up. Is the body any thicker at the top of the extra strip? I may end up have the same trouble in a different spot.
Unread 09-05-2011, 10:03 AM   #5
Diamond-x
1991 XJ Cherokee 

When I thought I'd have enough time to complete these boy was I wrong. Combined with the rain today and my exhaustion I'm calling it a weekend.

I was able to cap both rockers and get the drivers welded in place, minus the supports to the sub-frame. My welds to the lower door sill are strong but ugly. I may grind them flat and take the advice above with the strip of metal and plug weld. I ended up setting my flux core welder on 25% and tacking, the thin sill would just burn thru otherwise.

I'll grind and cover the sill welds with strip metal, install the passenger side and connect to the frame another day.

This provides an attachment point for an exo at some point.

What a learning experience, I'm getting good with the grinder!
Unread 09-05-2011, 05:16 PM   #6
raypla
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Yea I can't take credit for those welds. My good bud is a welder by trade, and has access to a fully equiped metal shop, he did all the welding, I figured why should I try and cob it up. The first side we did w/my welder which is flux core. I had initally had the strap installed on the bottom of the sill, which I had seen posted on another forum. Then when we got to his shop he suggested we put the strap on the top, the rest is history. Here is a pic or two from my flux core welder w/the strap under the sill.

I feel the strap is a key element, above or below, it reinforces the sheet metal sill. Below is a finished pic w/the flares on.

I cut and folded the rear fender. Then the fender flare was noctched and reinstalled.

99 XJ 4.0 D30 29sp 8.25, IRO TB & HD Tie Rod, Kellys WIP main 5 wires 1AWG http://www.kelleyswip.com/price.html, Banks header, Stainless Magnaflow catback, cat, 2" OME lift, JC1B Leafs, OME sports, JKS discos, 30X9.5X15 BFG AT's, Fastman 62mmTB, Cibie E-codes with 55/60 Osram bulbs, Putco harness=JUNK!!, Alpine 7563 Deck, PWX 10" Cubby, JBL GTI 180.2 400wX1 rms, 6.5 Infinity Perfects , front PWX 6.5, Infinity ref amp 111wX4 rms, Optima Yellow, 100 sqft of http://store.secondskinaudio.com/damplifier/
raypla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2011, 09:30 PM   #7
Diamond-x
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Well, it looks killer. You're right about the strip, it's the right way to do it. I should also cut and fold.
Unread 09-11-2011, 12:28 PM   #8
Diamond-x
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Got some more done.

Capped the ends:

Ready to weld:

Sub-frame tie in:

Completed shot, Welded and covered with self etching primer. Still needs the top sill to be beefed up:

Unread 09-11-2011, 08:20 PM   #9
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I like the way the 3x6 looks, I'm going 2x6 (since I have already purchased and worked the material)

Momentary Thread Jack here:

Is it really that necessary to put feet to the frame rail if you have fully welded to the sill and along the pinch seam including rosette welds?

I have already cut and capped 2x6 for my XJ, and will be de-rockering the body this week - If it's fully welded, it has already become as strong or stronger than a stock rocker.

I think the feet are ugly to look at, and serve as snag points, and was planning on tying into the A B and C pillars.
ready-weld-rockers.jpg  
Unread 09-11-2011, 11:19 PM   #10
Diamond-x
1991 XJ Cherokee 

I don't consider this a thread-jack. You raise a valid point with the frame tie in.

I feel its important to tie these in.

Each rocker weighs approx 52 lbs. If you're comfortable with your ability to weld them to the 18 guage sill and pinch seam then you probably wouldn't need the tie ins. For me, this is my first major mod which requires welding unlike materials. This is also a daily driver, my second vehicle. I drilled the inner seam with holes for rosettes and I will be capping the sill with a 1"x1/8" strip of flat stock. I think tieing the rockers into the subframe will not only make them much stronger, but will also stiffen up the entire body. Since the subframe is integral I wanted to be sure to attach to it, strengthening the entire structure.

You're right about the snag points, although I've reduced them to +-5/16" and kept them 2 inches from the inner edge. My concerns were strength, longetivity, not getting in the way of a long arm upgrade and last as a foundation of an exo-cage. The cage should be tied into the frame structure.

As far as ugly, have you seen my rig?
Unread 09-12-2011, 02:30 AM   #11
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsucka View Post
Momentary Thread Jack here:

Is it really that necessary to put feet to the frame rail if you have fully welded to the sill and along the pinch seam including rosette welds?

I think the feet are ugly to look at, and serve as snag points, and was planning on tying into the A B and C pillars.
The problem without doing the frame tie- ins is that with the box steel rocker only attached to the thin sheetmetal, the sheetmetal may get bent on a hard hit to the rocker. Is it propably? I'd say no.. I've been smashing my rockers on both XJs and my ZJ quite a bit, and I've had ZERO trouble with them. I hit the rocker right behind the front wheel a few times dropping down a 3ft. ledge and the rocker took the hit no problem.

In the long run, you may get into problems with the welds or sheetmetal cracking.. A better solution would be to raise the rocker replacement higher up, so you can drill rosette weld holes to the horizontal section and directly tie the rocker to the bottom of A-, B-, and C- pillars. That requires modifying the doors though, so it's kinda "hardcore" unless you go through rock gardens all the time giving some nice whacks to the rockers constantly.

That being said, some sort of tie-in- plates to the bottom of the pillars and then welding those to the rockers should give more than enough of support and make the unibody a lot more rigid. IMO the steel straps aren't necessary for welding, but it sure is kinda PITA to weld sheetmetal to thicker stuff

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2011, 12:19 PM   #12
Diamond-x
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo_90xj
IMO the steel straps aren't necessary for welding, but it sure is kinda PITA to weld sheetmetal to thicker stuff
You're telling me! The strap definetly helps a noob welder.
Unread 09-14-2011, 04:33 AM   #13
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

There will be NO door modification on my DD XJ, so the ultimate rocker replacement will have to wait for another year or so when I feel like budgeting car payments.

I'm having a buddy who does body work professionally and hobby do the welding, and he's not worried about the difference, but I think I'll buy some 1" 1/8" strap to possibly modify the original install plan. Having it on top sandwiching the body with rosette welds sounds clean and efficient
Unread 09-14-2011, 04:47 PM   #14
Diamond-x
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsucka View Post
There will be NO door modification on my DD XJ, so the ultimate rocker replacement will have to wait for another year or so when I feel like budgeting car payments.

I'm having a buddy who does body work professionally and hobby do the welding, and he's not worried about the difference, but I think I'll buy some 1" 1/8" strap to possibly modify the original install plan. Having it on top sandwiching the body with rosette welds sounds clean and efficient
As well as your original idea of tieing in to the pillars.
Unread 09-14-2011, 06:05 PM   #15
Whistler31
1995 XJ Cherokee 

there are two other good tie in mods that can be done. they both tie into the frame. it you cut out the front seat mounts and replace them with 3" square tube you can attatch them to the rockers and subframe.
The second I saw someone on here do was to cut out the metal out from infront of the rear seat and replace it with 2x6 square tube shaped to fit the same.
With both of those mods and tying in to the pillars that will really stiffen things up in the unibody.
Whistler31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.