Rocker arm replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Rocker arm replacement

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-12-2009, 10:48 AM   #1
Chip682
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Rocker arm replacement

I am going to be replacing my rocker arms soon on my 92 XJ 4.0 I was wondering if anyone that has done this can give me a more detailed explanation than the repair manual. I know it is fairly easy and i have a good idea of how to. The repair book says to bring the #1 piston to TDC and then remove all the rockers a 1/4 turn at a time. Do you have to bring each cylinder to TDC individually before removing the rockers that go to it? That makes more sense to me. I just dont want to mess anything up. Thanks

Chip682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2009, 10:26 AM   #2
Chip682
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Anyone????
Unread 03-13-2009, 10:31 AM   #3
Vassago
2001 XJ Cherokee 

umm i'd be more worried about putting them back in the right way. from what i know. TDC the first one snug tight then 1/4 turn then the same for each cylinder after that. i'll be doing this on sunday when i replace my head so i'll get it down by then

MY BUILD THREAD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...lding-1575841/

My Photography Paul Lehr's Flickr
Vassago is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2009, 05:24 AM   #4
Chip682
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks let me know how that works out if you could. I just wanted to know if i TDC #1 to get those ones off would i have to TDC #2 and so on to get the others off?
Unread 03-14-2009, 10:02 AM   #5
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Guys---there is absolutely NO REASON to run the cylinder to TDC before removing/replacing the rocker arms.

The FSM DOES caution to loosen the rocker retaining bolts one turn at a time, alternating back and forth between the pair, so as to prevent distorting the saddle bracket on top of the pair of rockers. Likewise, tightening them is done the same way--1 turn per time, alternating. Final bolt torque is 21 ft-lbs.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!

For Sale to Good Home---2000 XJ Factory Service Manual (Printed Version) PM for details.
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2009, 10:44 AM   #6
Vassago
2001 XJ Cherokee 

ok thats a help for tomorrow, may i ask why you dont need to while assembling???

MY BUILD THREAD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...lding-1575841/

My Photography Paul Lehr's Flickr
Vassago is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2009, 11:32 AM   #7
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMXxXJ View Post
ok thats a help for tomorrow, may i ask why you dont need to while assembling???
I don't exactly understand your question. Please restate it another way, and I will try to answer.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!

For Sale to Good Home---2000 XJ Factory Service Manual (Printed Version) PM for details.
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2009, 07:01 PM   #8
Chip682
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks AZ Jeff I will keep that in mind. I just didnt think it could be that simple.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.