Rocker Arm chatter w/Pics/Vids and questions. REAL TECH not spray paint wars - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Rocker Arm chatter w/Pics/Vids and questions. REAL TECH not spray paint wars

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-03-2012, 07:30 AM   #16
Elexwiz
1987 XJ Cherokee 

The court also feels that the plaintiff was not properly prepared for the a$$-reaming he received for acting like a "female intimate cleansing device" and therefore has decided to NOT follow-up on this particular request for assistance. I find the plaintiff guilty of being arrogant and pompous and sentence him to revisit his request for assistance and to relax and go-with-the-flow.

1987 XJ 4.0 I6, Peugeot tranny, NP231, AA SYE, 8.25" 29 spline, Dana 30 (HP), Rusty’s 4.5 inch coils, BDS 5500 4.5" shocks, 5" junkyard bastard pack, Rusty’s Adj LCAs, RC Quick Discos, JKS BPEs (front and rear), Aussie Lockers (front and rear), Durango steering box, and Removable Doors!
Elexwiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2012, 09:25 AM   #17
Reptile
Web Wheeler
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elexwiz View Post
The court also feels that the plaintiff was not properly prepared for the a$$-reaming he received for acting like a "female intimate cleansing device" and therefore has decided to NOT follow-up on this particular request for assistance. I find the plaintiff guilty of being arrogant and pompous and sentence him to revisit his request for assistance and to relax and go-with-the-flow.
Reptile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2012, 09:54 AM   #18
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

I'll agree with the OP on one thing. When I post up a thread that contains real tech questions or answers and get replies like "get a bigger wrench LOL", and then someone post a question on what they should paint thier flares with that goes to 3 or more pages...it's a bit frustrating.

...BUT the attitude has gotta go...you can always visit Pirate and get a reaming of profanity and abasement along with your answer.

I prefer painting my motor with RED ENGINE ENAMEL. It really makes the black "pop" when I'm up to my elbows in it.

...I prefer Duplicolor to Rustoleum, but I'll use Krylon in a pinch.

Paradise XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2012, 03:49 PM   #19
cbenez1
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Thank you ladies and gentlemen, Court is adjourned.
cbenez1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2012, 05:03 AM   #20
DannyRoark89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

i suppose what i said could have been written differently but the tech section IMHO has been suffering greatly because of this "instant answer" mentality the majority of people have developed since smart phones began to take over. the tech section is filled with ding dongs who dont know the search function exists or dont know how to use it or have just become so lazy that actually researching something on their own accord would just be absurd. i would assert that 80% of the threads that start on the tech section are the exact same threads that were started a year or 6 months ago. that number is an assertion not based on anything past pure observation but i will stand behind my claims that 8 out of 10 new threads arent even worth posting on unless its the search results with pages of threads on the exact same topic. and those who pose real technical questions or seek advice from those with a greater understanding of the project they engulfed them selves in. 1. can tell that they have done enough research, and reading to grasp the overall objective and procedures to achieve the objective as a whole, its obvious in how its written and from the OP's projected tone. 2. The OP expresses genuine gratitude when someone comes along with the little slice of knowledge they had been seeking. 3. offer their own findings, personal friends and families findings, or the findings of other forum members to the OP as a basis for comparison to either back up their assertions on isolating a problem or disprove a problem someone suggests. they dont settle for one single answer they wait till a number of people answer and then analyse that information to form their own solution or answer.

Perhaps at 23 im one of the few left my age who don't rely on google for every question i have. i have a smart phone too, but looking up the answer and learning the answer to a question are two entirely different things. Learning the answer is an experience no matter how its done. weather it was going to the library and using the dewey decimal (most kids probably don't even know what it is) to hunt down a book that might have the answer then scouring through the book searching for it, and when you found it, you could be assured that the little piece of knowledge you had just worked so hard for wouldn't slip your mind for some time. same applies when tearing a head off a jeep, you learn and remember how to do it by doing it. tell me how likely it is that jo-shmo who looks up the 32nd president of the united states on his iPhone will retain that information till even dinner time. he doesn't need to because its a click away. 'I don't know' has become 'I'll look it up' and that's apparent with a lot of information that gets posted in the tech section, and the 'postee' of such information generally has lost their ability to construct a real sentence because most people speak in 160 characters or less now days, so its easy to spot this regurgitated information. i prefer to learn the answers to my questions, not just find them.

I am sorry if my statement came off as rude or entitled or just not needed, my intention was to spark a real educated discussion to diagnosis and isolate a problem with people who have experienced a little more wrench time under the cover a 4.0L or who could think critically and make an educated guess based on the information i provided. i did not want some high school kid or person who drives a jeep but needs to take it to the parts store because they cant figure out how to install their new windshield wipers to chime in with some information they copy and pasted from wikipedia. i was in search of personal results from other members who have had similar issues and how they resolved them or a thread that i may have skipped over during my research.

I hope no one was truly offended buy my statement or title too in retrospect, my confidence in the forum was rattled when a thread i created about the resistance level of the fuel sending unit got one post in response telling me to replace it when in fact my OP did not mention anything about it failing or needing replaced. I simply wanted to confirm the resistance scale so i could buy the correct fuel gauge. yet as my truly 'tech' question slides to second page, the battle over rostoleum and krylon begins to get heated (because there inst a paint and Body section of the forum where probably the question has already been asked several times but there is enough information to make an extremely educated decision) when i started this thread i was a little frustrated and distraught with the tech thread and assumed by being an *** it would drive home the point and possibly gain support when it comes to the tech section and its flood of meaningless or way over posted threads and possibly get the moderators to revamp the rules or at least put some info in a sticky thread at the top. (a sticky thread about fixing an overheating problem would wipe out a huge portion of the threads that are Constantly posted)

next time ill take into consideration that what i think ultimately doesn't matter and that i have a tendency to come across as arrogant (even though i believe arrogance and confidence are divided by just a small line i believe that being confident along with having a zero tolerance policy with those who don't posses a shred of common sense or critical thinking skills will often blur that line between confidence and arrogance. say what you will if i let someone with no common sense on a job site i am putting everyone else on sat at risk as well so i don't even mess with it. do something dumb, get off my job plain and simple. so this zero tolerance is ingrained in me i grew up around flying iron and pouring concrete and work for one of the biggest contractors in the northwest) and put down those who make conclusions that do not coincide with any evidence provided. again say what you will but some people are just a-holes.

I have always posted in a fashion that would not make me a target for ridicule by others so if i didn't know the answer i moved to a different thread. i don't need to be wasting the OPs time with thoughtless ideas of what it could be and i never wanted to alter the focus of someone reading the thread who could provide answers and evidence for them. If i had the same problems or the same 'symptoms' to a problem i would share my personal experience with resolving the problem and link to a thread that describes it as well. that's just me though i have never had a problem saying 'i don't know' and i just think the tech section could use a little more attention from the admins or at least a little more attention from its users when it comes to creating new threads and posting on threads. i hope critical thinking, problem solving and researching haven't become a past time of this forum and again im sorry for being a jerk and ill definetly think twice before i try and express an issue i have with the forum again that's for sure. my concerns and intentions were just, but my execution was poor no doubt about it hopefully the above can justify a little bit of bold statement before or maybe it just makes me look like a bigger a-hole i don't know either way there's other forums in the sea i just always thought this one was the best till a few months ago.

with that said, there is no need to continue this thread anymore in a technical sense, i found that the lifter at the furthest end of the engine from the grill had 'collapsed' or the valve has become stuck open causing the awful noise, i will be pulling the head and replacing the lifters and some other junk starting thursday afternoon.
DannyRoark89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2012, 06:33 AM   #21
n5xl

Danny,

I think you've learned a valuable lesson here. At 23, you're not going to have the life experiences of a mechanic thats been working on vehicles for 30+ years and intuitively knows where to look for a problem like this. You at least had enough common sense to know to ask for technical help in a forum where guys that do have vehicle specific common sense hang out so good on you for that. The problem is the way you started off your question brought you your own demise.

When you post in a public forum like this, you have to expect the good information with bad information and the task for you is to sift out the gems that are buried in the dirt. You need to remember that a 30+ year experienced mechanic will be offering you advice at the same time as a 16 year old that just got their vehicle for the first time and has never changed out a spark plug before. Both want to help ... be grateful for this. Take all advice and information offered and be gracious that total strangers are offering up SOMETHING for you to consider...it might not be the best advice at the time, but its something nonetheless. You then research the information received and decide if its valuable and relevant. Remember, people want to help you, dont stick your finger in their eye right off and say "You and you and you cant offer suggestions because I think your opinion is worthless". You see what often happens if you do this.

Danny, if you go back through this thread for the few bits of mechanic advice that were offered, I think you see that collapsed lifters were offered up as a potential reason for the noise. A few simple tests could have been done to identify that pretty quickly, but this thread was destined to never go in that direction.

Here is bit of advice for you from 45 year old. Always remember that a bit of humility will carry you quite a long way not only on internet forums but in life in general.

Good luck with your repair.

Dave-N5XL
98 XJ, AW4, 2"ACOS/JKS Shackles
n5xl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2012, 09:32 AM   #22
alexrule123
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyRoark89 View Post
I simply wanted to confirm the resistance scale so i could buy the correct fuel gauge. yet as my truly 'tech' question slides to second page, the battle over rostoleum and krylon begins to get heated (because there inst a paint and Body section of the forum where probably the question has already been asked several times but there is enough information to make an extremely educated decision) when i started this thread i was a little frustrated and distraught with the tech thread and assumed by being an *** it would drive home the point and possibly gain support when it comes to the tech section and its flood of meaningless or way over posted threads and possibly get the moderators to revamp the rules or at least put some info in a sticky thread at the top. (a sticky thread about fixing an overheating problem would wipe out a huge portion of the threads that are Constantly posted)
This has been going on for a long time, it is Cherokee Tech . Also the "need it now" mentality is not just isolated to people in their 20s, I see it everyday with people in there 30s and up. They are not able to spend a few minutes to look something up on their own and would rather ask someone else for the info to get the answer right away.

With you saying you don't use Google to look something up kinda puts you in the same boat as the people you are saying you don't like. Google is good for things that at a top level view to give you a place to start looking.

I was not even going to post in your thread just from your first post but I am glad you got the issue figured out.
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2012, 10:59 AM   #23
1CVPaul
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Very good Danny ! As your finding out, a little humility will get you farther than hubris in life. Hope everything works out with you and your Jeep. And of course keep posting. I get the feeling that as time goes on you'll be a valuable asset on this forum.

Happy 4th ! !
Unread 07-04-2012, 12:11 PM   #24
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

You also have to remember Danny, that even though that search function works, the links contained in most of the posts that it finds do not.
Unread 07-04-2012, 01:11 PM   #25
new92xj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Something else to think about in all of this is ones knowledge of vehicles before entering the forum. I am, at "30" , more knowledgeable now than ever and when first entering this forum I had no idea what to ask for. Do you suggest I start in a different forum and ask how to search. Or are you suggesting that I search for the search function.? I think at this point one could come to the conclusion that just asking the question you need is the more "efficient" route to take. Although, I am impressed with your communication skills and there is no but..... to this post. Good job. I am interested in how the repair turned out.
new92xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2012, 04:48 AM   #26
lsmurphy

An engine is an internal combustion 'engine'. Uses a fuel.

A motor is electric.

There is a difference and that is it.
lsmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2012, 09:42 AM   #27
new92xj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

When I was finishing up my engineering degree a friend of mine and I were discussing a similar topic. An engine ,as stated uses internal combustion to convert thermal energy in to motion. A motor, however, is an object that can convert " energy" period into motion. Be it electric or some other form of spring loaded contraption. The idea is that an electric motor is the most common form of motor not the only form of motor. Not that we haven't strayed far enough away from the topic already
new92xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2012, 11:25 AM   #28
Elexwiz
1987 XJ Cherokee 

So all engines are motors, but not all motors are engines...
1987 XJ 4.0 I6, Peugeot tranny, NP231, AA SYE, 8.25" 29 spline, Dana 30 (HP), Rusty’s 4.5 inch coils, BDS 5500 4.5" shocks, 5" junkyard bastard pack, Rusty’s Adj LCAs, RC Quick Discos, JKS BPEs (front and rear), Aussie Lockers (front and rear), Durango steering box, and Removable Doors!
Elexwiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2012, 12:03 PM   #29
multmigs
2003 WJ 

is there no way to fix this with PVC pipe?
multmigs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2012, 03:25 PM   #30
cbenez1
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by new92xj View Post
When I was finishing up my engineering degree a friend of mine and I were discussing a similar topic. An engine ,as stated uses internal combustion to convert thermal energy in to motion. A motor, however, is an object that can convert " energy" period into motion. Be it electric or some other form of spring loaded contraption. The idea is that an electric motor is the most common form of motor not the only form of motor. Not that we haven't strayed far enough away from the topic already
Engineer's are cool. Is yours diesel or electric ? I know they don't use steam much anymore. Do you get to wear one of the those awesome blue and white pintstripe caps ?
cbenez1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
arm , chatter , engine , rocker , xj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.