Rock sliders... Need some help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Rock sliders... Need some help

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side View

Unread 10-11-2012, 07:14 PM   #1
Xanatos
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Rock sliders... Need some help

My rocker panels are needing to be replaced and I was thinking of just putting some metal tube/bar there instead of a rocker panel. My question is if I wish for it to be used as a rock slider, do I need to support it with the uni-frame rail? Or should the bar/slider be fine on by itself since it is a unibody? I've seen different sliders that appear to be both ways. Also, what thickness of metal should I use?

Unread 10-11-2012, 08:34 PM   #2
donthelegend
1999 XJ Cherokee 

3/16" or 1/4" thick steel. 2x4 will just replace the stock rocker, 2x6 will stick out a bit. If you use them hard at all, you should brace them the the unibody "frame rails". Tieing them into the A pillar is also not a bad idea (see EricsXJ writeup).
donthelegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2012, 08:58 PM   #3
theredmonster
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanatos View Post
My rocker panels are needing to be replaced and I was thinking of just putting some metal tube/bar there instead of a rocker panel. My question is if I wish for it to be used as a rock slider, do I need to support it with the uni-frame rail? Or should the bar/slider be fine on by itself since it is a unibody? I've seen different sliders that appear to be both ways. Also, what thickness of metal should I use?
look at jcr's sliders, they bolt over stock rockers and looks good. and the have one with out steps if steps are not wanted im going this route. http://www.jcroffroad.com/mm5/mercha..._Code=XJ-US-Dx
Unread 10-12-2012, 06:06 AM   #4
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

That's the first time I've seen my jibber jabber in a signature. - Don the Legend

OP
If there is no/rotted rocker left, 2x6 replacement is fairly easy and will give you plenty of pivot clearance that will save your doors and glass in tight spots slipping past trees and rocks. This should cost you less than 100 in metal plus fabbing time. I didn't tie into the unibody frame rail, and I've used them aggressively, but it is on my list to do after I finish plating my frame rails. It can tilt up preventing your doors from opening if you don't brace them.
Unread 10-12-2012, 07:44 AM   #5
Xanatos
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Alright, thanks guys. I bookmarked ericxj's page for future reference. I really like how he did his. Rugsucka- do you have a thread of your rock slider build? I searched for it but was unable to find anything. Theredmonster- My rockerpanels are almost gone. I'm not really super hyped about buying new rockerpanels and then putting rock sliders over them. I think that would just be a waste of money when I can upgrade doing it cheaper.
Unread 10-12-2012, 10:19 AM   #6
ibjeepin95
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Tie them in. I welded mine in and didn't tie them in at first. First trip out, they lasted for a while and held up good. Then, right before I left I pivoted off a big rock and it began to fold...

So I welded in some stiffeners and braced them up after bending them back with a sledge...

ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2012, 10:21 AM   #7
ibjeepin95
1999 XJ Cherokee 

And here is some more carnage I still need to fix. This is where they ripped as they bent....
image-520465632.jpg  
Unread 10-12-2012, 09:20 PM   #8
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I didn't do a thread on here, but I'll post some pictures. I welded the entire top, around the ends and along the entire pinch seam after I pounded it over the bottom. I'll probably do a mini boat side to the frame rail when I get around to it. As is it is strong enough for most trails, but there's room for improvement if the stupid factor increases. (and that always seems to happen, since it's not a DD anymore)

-Cut out 1/8" below the sill, cut up on the outside of the pinch seam to leave the double layer of metal where the rocker meets the floor for more meat to weld to, taper the ends of 2x6 box tubing if you want to, or just cap it.
-I left a slight tip down to shed water from the doors, and basically welded it flush with the front and rear wheel wells.
cut-out.jpg   front-cut-out.jpg   rear-bedliner.jpg   front-wheel-well.jpg   top-side-2x6-rocker.jpg  

underside-2x6-rocker.jpg   painted-drying.jpg  
Unread 10-13-2012, 09:38 AM   #9
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

^^^ This is something I'm strongly considering instead of spending twice the $ for some bolt-on sliders (AJ's sliders look pretty good).

So, what I'm seeing is you cut the rockers out just below the sill and just outboard of the pinch seam. Fit the 2x6 into this "pocket" and pound the pinch weld to "wrap" the bottom inboard side of the 2x - is that right? I've read it's a good idea to connect the dots with stitch welds across the entirety of the sill and p/w instead of one solid long bead - this is in order to avoid overheating the thinner metal getting welded to the thicker.

As for tieing in kickers to the unirail do you guys think it's best to stay as close to the A,B,C pillars as possible with the kickers?

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2012, 10:32 AM   #10
ibjeepin95
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
^^^ This is something I'm strongly considering instead of spending twice the $ for some bolt-on sliders (AJ's sliders look pretty good).

So, what I'm seeing is you cut the rockers out just below the sill and just outboard of the pinch seam. Fit the 2x6 into this "pocket" and pound the pinch weld to "wrap" the bottom inboard side of the 2x - is that right? I've read it's a good idea to connect the dots with stitch welds across the entirety of the sill and p/w instead of one solid long bead - this is in order to avoid overheating the thinner metal getting welded to the thicker.

As for tieing in kickers to the unirail do you guys think it's best to stay as close to the A,B,C pillars as possible with the kickers?
I did what you said there. Just stitch welded them in. As far as the legs, I put one as far as I could front and as far as I could back and one somewhere close to the middle. I need to put them to the test, though.
Unread 10-13-2012, 11:16 AM   #11
Xanatos
1991 XJ Cherokee 

rugsucka- did you tie it into the A,B, or C pillars at all? Ericxj's build seemed to have a piece of metal running alongside of the a pillar. It appears you did nothing like that, but just welded around the edges of the slider. Is that holding up for you very well?
ibjeepin- That last photo you posted, just curious, where at on the slider did you hit it at? The photo is just in close, so it's hard to tell what section that would be..
Unread 10-13-2012, 11:46 AM   #12
ibjeepin95
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I pivoted off the under side of the outer edge of the slider. It slid about a foot or so in the center of it. Up to that point, I hit a good many rocks and didn't do any damage.
Unread 10-13-2012, 08:55 PM   #13
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I did not tie into the pillars. I did 1" strings until I had a complete bead top and bottom, around the front etc. The bottom was pounded over 1/2" or so then also welded to the bottom of the 2x6. I don't doubt that I could slam down into the outside edge and pivot it up IF the conditions were right. Frankly the bead on the bottom is not perfect - I bought my gas mig welder 2 days before I did this project and out of position sucked. I've done plenty of stick welding so that was a good start.

I didn't cut my doors, so plating up to the pillars wasn't an easily accomplished modification or built into the 2 day schedule I allowed myself.

I plan on making tube fenders that tie into the front and rear and eventually the rockers will also be a platform for a cage. Until then I hope I don't fark them up like ibejeepin, but I also think I'm tied in a bit better than his original install. I didn't want a snag point with little legs out to the frame rail, but could pay the price as a result.

The rockers have held up well, I've landed on them from a few falls, and used them to pivot around rocks and a few trees. It's a worth while project, and doesn't take a pile of time or $$$ to do if you have a welder at your disposal.
Unread 10-16-2012, 09:35 PM   #14
Xanatos
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks ibejeepin, that makes sense now. Hopefully I won't ever get into a situation like that.

rugsucka- Alright. I'm still debating on if I should tie it in or not. Like you, I don't want the legs sticking out. And I really don't want it to go through the floor like ibejeapin did. This is still my daily driver and I don't think I will be hitting huge rocks. I just want something a bit stronger to be there in case I need it. And the fact that this would be a nice replacement to my rusted rocker panels. Just out of curiosity, is your cage gonna be external?

Another thing I was thinking, as it is, water seems comes down somewhere and get into the rocker panels. That would be why the drain holes are there(or at least I assume they are drain holes). Have either of you noticed problems with water getting behind your welds? I wouldn't think it would be a problem, but just thought I'd ask.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.