Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Road Trip

791 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  JeepsterXJ 
#1 ·
I have a 98 XJ with about 86088 miles on her. The tires are BFGoodrich long trail and almost down to the treadwear line. I am very good about fluid, oil changes and tire rotations. It is a daily driver but will go off road when neccessary, of course! I may be taking a road trip from MN to the canadian rockies north of glacier national park and am wondering what needs to be done or checked before I depart. Will I make it? We have not had any engine problems or drivetrain problems since I bought it when it had about 34000 on it. We bought it used from a dealer. This is really long but would apprecieate any advice or feedback! Thanks fellow Jeepers :thumbsup:

#2 ·
just off the top of my head:

1) If you think you're going to hit any snow, get new tires. You might want to do a search on the forum for snow tires (the subject has come up before, I'm not sure exactly what phrase to use when searching). The tires you have are decent, but I'm assuming you do not have lockers in your differentials, so you might want more tread if you think you'll hit deep snow (or chains, depending on your experience with them).

2) Check anything involving wires & battery, including the grounds. You don't want to get stranded by difficulty starting the motor in (very) cold weather. How are your spark plugs & wires, distributor cap?

3) Take some sand or kitty litter in case you get stuck in the snow -- it will help provide traction (salt might help, but salt is only good at temperatures near freezing - much colder & it will do nothing). Take some lock de-icer (of course, unless you have keyless entry).

4) Take a (digital) camera & come back & post pics!

the only stuff I can imagine failing would be sensors, & most of those will not prevent you from driving it -- but I'd worry about the low tread on your tires

#3 ·
I've done similar trips.

First off, tires. Get some.

Secondly, rechange all fluids and check belts and brakes.

Third, pack tools and survival gear.

Fourth, a small axe, water filter (incase you have to pack out) and dehydrated emergency food.

Other than that, pack normally and roll with it. Enjoy the journey.

#4 ·
I just want to say I love 'roadtrips' that involve packing an axe and emergency dehydrated food. I actually look forward to using those items. Good excuse to call in to work when you are stranded in the middle of nowhere living off the land in the most barbaric of ways.

Oh, and I always like to be ultra prepared. My 90 with 160,000 miles is yet to ever fail me. If you are due for a tune up, you might consider changing plugs/wires/cap/rotor before you leave. All those parts are extremely cheap and easy to replace.

FUEL FILTER! I would definitely recommend changing that. Again, a few bucks, and easy to install.

Tires: Get some rubber on there and CHECK AIR PRESSURE!

Belt: Check and replace if need. Carrying a spare is up to you.

TOOLS! I highly recommend carrying a few tools with you. You never know, and you might just find them extremely helpful.

Duct Tape! Great for everything. Spring a small leak? (Coolant) Duct Tape it!

Alignment: Just Tires in all areas offer Free Alignment Check. I highly recommend getting that checked out. Will help gas mileage incredibly, along with tire wear and ride. Don't pay more than $49.95 for an alignment. (I work for the company)
Brakes: Inspect your brakes/fluid.

Cooling system: Prestone's Flush and Fill kit is like $10. Incredibly easy to use, takes 30 min. Not sure if you will get warm weather, but it is always a good idea to keep the fluid fresh. Also inspect your hoses, replace if they look suspicious.

Safe travels.

#5 ·
I'd probably do the tire thing, check the antifreeze, check the belts, have a complete service done and hit the trail!!

You could think of things to replace all day long, like they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!!

It wouldn't hurt to take some basic tools along, socket set, pliers, vice grips, a couple of screw drivers, flashlight, and also a spare fuel filter and a couple of quarts of oil (you never know), but then again you could pack and pack and the one thing that breaks is the thing you didn't prepare for.

The best thing to take is a cell phone and some of those chemical type handwarmers and a blanket.

The thing is prepare for a problem, but don't get paranoid. Have fun!!!

Wishing you well!!

Chaser

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.