Rigidco winch bumper or C4x4 Tapered winch bumper? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Rigidco winch bumper or C4x4 Tapered winch bumper?

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

View Poll Results: Which bumper?
Rigidco winch bumper 25 58.14%
C4x4 winch bumper with tapered ends 18 41.86%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 02-23-2008, 11:46 PM   #1
andrew2516

Rigidco winch bumper or C4x4 Tapered winch bumper?

I need some outside opinons on this, I have searched this topic waaay to much and I think I'm starting to lean more towards the rigidco bumper.

The rigidco looks like it has had some changes when comparing it to some older rigidco styles...
http://www.rigidco.com/web3_FbW_left...c_P6230018.JPG

Heres the rigidco...
http://www.rigidco.com/FbW.htm

Heres the C4x4 tapered...
http://www.custom4x4fabrication.com/photos_xjfront.htm

36" TSL's on RockCrawler rims

www.PGHOFFROAD.com
andrew2516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2008, 12:29 AM   #2
XJChris98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Andrew, Im pretty sure they changed the rigidco design....

I think the new rigid winch bumpers look more like this http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=934866

I was debating between those two bumpers too, but I kinda like how the C4x4 one hangs a little lower. For as much around town driving as I do, I know something with a little more 'accident' prevention is the better way to go.

Last edited by XJChris98; 02-24-2008 at 01:13 AM..
XJChris98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2008, 12:40 AM   #3
AdrJunkie
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I would have to agree with Chris. I like the C4x4 better. I like the way it fits, looks a little more flush, everything looks clean. Which is what I like. But its your jeep, you gotta go with what your feeling. Good Luck choosing.
AdrJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2008, 06:39 AM   #4
tntempest
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have the c4x4 I like it, it was very easy to install and was well packaged. It was designed to fit the pre 97 flares better, but the rigidco looks the same. The just don't come back far enough to look right, but if you have 33-35 tires you have to have that area cut out anyway. My 32's at full flex are close. I also don't like the two piece bumper and winch holder of that design, uses way thinner metal than the c4x4 and I like the lead holder better on the C4x4. Mine is all in one and didn't move an mm when winching last weekend.

I also have the rear bumper that I personally think is the best out there that looks correct, because of the extra side pieces. If they built a class 3 hitch in it it would be perfect. But I guess if you are willing to cut off the lower panels the rear bumper on the Black XJ would be my second favorite.

tntempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2008, 06:54 AM   #5
Arcticcat843
dakuda is a god

1980 CJ5 

on a pre 97

Arcticcat843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2008, 07:05 AM   #6
BIGNUTT
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Rigidco by Faaaaar, it mounts in 19 places and it just looks better, its more slimline and has some contour to it, not just some fat blocky cheap bumper:

Bulkhead mounted up:

I had ordered a rear one, but then I got sick and had to cancel.

Proud to be a Christian
BIGNUTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2008, 07:14 AM   #7
BIGNUTT
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJChris98 View Post
Andrew, Im pretty sure they changed the rigidco design....

I think the new rigid winch bumpers look more like this http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=934866
Yes, thats how they rear bumper looks, so sexay

Proud to be a Christian
BIGNUTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2008, 08:51 AM   #8
andrew2516

I hate making these decisions

I like the rigidco because...
-D-ring Tabs are in the bumper and don't hang low
-Mounting system is amazing!
-Looks higher clearance(I don't want to be dragging it on every rock on the tail)

but

I like the c4x4 because
-It hides the winch inside the bumper
-It has more coverage...I don't know if that rigidco would be legal in PA.

I'm still leaning more towards the rigidco. That mounting system has pretty much has me.

Does anyone know for sure what the newest style of the rigidco looks like?

www.PGHOFFROAD.com
Unread 02-24-2008, 08:57 AM   #9
law.74

I've got the most recent iteration of the rigidco FWB2 sitting on the basement floor. I'll snap a pic later.

I voted for the rigidco BTW. It looks and mounts better. What more do you want?

edit: BIGNUTT's pics look to be the most recent design, obviously a bit more shallow than the winch bumper. Mine has the bolt on brush guard as well.
law.74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2008, 08:59 AM   #10
andrew2516

Quote:
Originally Posted by law.74 View Post
I've got the most recent iteration of the rigidco FWB2 sitting on the basement floor. I'll snap a pic later.

I voted for the rigidco BTW. It looks and mounts better. What more do you want?
Thanks, that would be cool

www.PGHOFFROAD.com
Unread 02-24-2008, 09:18 AM   #11
jaburk

I would go RigidCo. You will not find a better built bumper system. Here is a link to pictures of all of Terry's products:

http://flickr.com/photos/rigid/sets/
Unread 02-24-2008, 09:42 AM   #12
law.74

Pardon the toys.

I'm not too excited about the approach angle it kills. Especially since I won't be running 37" tires. Referring to the 'fore mentioned UNCC civilengineer build: http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=934866 Definitely a nice setup.

question, for those that have this bumper. Did it come with the plate covering the "cable hole"? The hole isn't perfectly straight, so it may be a little aesthetic addition until I put a fairlead on. That little observation is the worst of my complaints.

The little bit of surface rust is my fault. It's been too cold to paint outside and my wife won't let me por-15 indoors any more. Something about fumes and kids or something... I wasn't listening.
law.74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2008, 09:45 AM   #13
gregmondro

The Rigidco bumpers are quality. Well made, STRONG, have great mounting systems, etc.

I run one on my XJ and when I totaled it, the bumper only came out with powder coating scraped off. This is after the front end more or less got torn off of the bottom of the Jeep. I'd recommend the bumper to anyone. I play a lot in the rocks as well and never have had a problem, even when doing hard winch pulls.

Rigidco makes quality stuff I have no experience with C4x4 however. In my honest opinion, the Rigidco is a lot more eye pleasing when compared to the c4x4
99 Jeep XJ - NP231, SYE, 4.56's, Rear D44 w/ Detroit SoftLocker and a RockCrusher Diff Cover, 35x12.5 BFG A/Ts, RE 5.5" XD Lift, Skidrow TC Skid, ORT Rear Bumper + Carrier, Rigidco Front Winch Bumper + Steering Box Plate, Milemarker 8000 Winch, Rock Sliders, HD Currie Steering, Control Arm Skids, Goferit Tie Rod Flip Insert, Optima Red Top and a few other goodies...
FiveZeroFive
XJ 8.25 Rear End Disc Brake Conversion For Sale!
gregmondro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2008, 09:50 AM   #14
JeepnTXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Another vote for RigidCo
Unread 02-24-2008, 10:07 AM   #15
tntempest
2004 TJ Wrangler 

If I were to go with no winch then I would go rigidco nothing looks better, but if you were to go winch go with c4x4, that plate system looks like the harbor freight winch plate. The rigidco plate that has all the extra mounting bolts only attaches to the core support that is 20 gauge steel so it is not adding any strength. The c4x4 becomes a single strong system with heavier metal and internal gussets.
tntempest is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.