Right turn signal blinking BOTH rear signal lights - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Right turn signal blinking BOTH rear signal lights

New Product Release: Flowmaster CA Legal Direct-Fit CatalyPartsHubDirect: Hella LED Lighting, HID Xenon, Headlamps, Hella Rallye 1000 Series 12-Volt/55-Watt Black Magic Halog

Unread 06-25-2008, 04:19 PM   #1
ExxxJay
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Right turn signal blinking BOTH rear signal lights

Hey all,

When I hit the signal to turn left, both rear signal lights go off. (like hazards are on)

This only happens to the left, not the right.

Funny thing is, once I move the lever back and forth (like keying the high beams) the right signal stops and the left continues...

Anyone else had this happen?

Thanks

ExxxJay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2008, 05:09 PM   #2
myriad360
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I haven't, I would almost say it is a wiring problem made by someone trying to add trailer lights or something... but maybe not. Get familiar with your electronics that control the circuits, see where the apex of the issue might lie. Something that controls multiple functions for lights, like the switches in the steering column or something.

I have an '88 and '01 XJ, so I might not be much help. But I might be able to find some diagrams if you need them.
1988 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 L, White. Bought in Vancouver, WA in 2003. 1st Jeep, White. Bought with 3" lift, added Pacesetter header and 40 series Flowmaster
myriad360 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2008, 05:20 PM   #3
ExxxJay
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Leaning towards the hazard switch...

I think the culprit lies in the hazard switch or the high beams, something in that area is completing the circut to light both lights, maybe the turn signal switch is just on it's way out...

Strange how it only lights up the rear tho come to think of it, I may have to recheck that.

~B
Unread 06-25-2008, 06:33 PM   #4
myriad360
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Well, that could very well be. Just depends how the wires are bundled in that area... or how the switch is designed. With that mountain of electrical possibilities, I usually start by looking at the small signs that might give it away... something else not working... a movable joint where the wires run that is moving differently. Could be somewhere that has a joint, like the steering column, has cut the 2 insulators of the wires and touches them together. Start with obvious stuff though, like switches.
1988 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 L, White. Bought in Vancouver, WA in 2003. 1st Jeep, White. Bought with 3" lift, added Pacesetter header and 40 series Flowmaster
myriad360 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2008, 07:24 PM   #5
madrabbitt

Three possibilities where the problem is. (in most likely to least likely order)
1. Turn signal switch/stick thing. Known to go bad and cause weird electrical problems.
2. T-junction under the spare tire mount where the wires split into each individual sides. The problem could be a short there, or someone may have buggered up the wiring trying to install trailer lights
3. Corrosion or a short at the sockets themselves.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
madrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2008, 11:04 PM   #6
diskman_1
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Most of the time I find its corrosion in the light bulb socket. Remove the bulbs and carefully clean the sockets. Use some light bulb grease with new HD bulbs and see what happens. Bet your extra blinker problem will vanish.
diskman_1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2008, 07:52 AM   #7
MBJR9
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Check your tail light bulb sockets for corrosion. My old Buick would do this and it was the sockets themselves. Easy fix just frustrating troubleshooting.

The Daily Driver
2004 Ram 1500, 5.7L Hemi V8, 545RFE 5 Speed Auto, NP241, Chrysler 8.0/Chrysler 9.25, 10mpg
MBJR9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2008, 08:00 AM   #8
Kuasimodem

It's the directional switch assembly in the steering column. It's a relatively cheap part that requires removal of the steering wheel to replace.

If you have tilt wheel, you will need a special tool to remove the lock ring above the switch. While you have it apart make sure the torx head bolts holding the tilt mechanism in place are tight too.
White Jeep Club Member #1992
Original Rust Jeep Club Member #5!
Old Guy Jeep Club Member #1992

"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help." - Ronald Reagan
Kuasimodem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2008, 12:10 AM   #9
firefighter1c57
SPACE FOR RENT

Mine does the same thing. Me, I've just quit worring about it.

I bring NOTHING to the table.
firefighter1c57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2008, 12:41 AM   #10
madrabbitt

just dont turn right.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
madrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2008, 10:54 AM   #11
ExxxJay
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks Kaus, that is what I thought too, it seems to be there...

By the way, anyone have info on the HD bulbs? That would be a great idea.

And sorry for the late post, my e-mail notify seems to be on the fritz...

~Brian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.