right hand drive XJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > right hand drive XJ

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 12-03-2007, 07:12 PM   #1
wann495909
2001 XJ Cherokee 

right hand drive XJ

so im pretty interested in seeing some right hand drive XJ's... also is it pretty hard to comeby these or do a conversion? Thanks!

wann495909 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2007, 04:02 AM   #2
UKJeepThang
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Loads in the UK!!

Here's mine:-

This was taken at a charity event in Wales earlier this year and before the AJ Super Rails and the Snorkel were fitted.
RE 4.5 inch superflex lift, RE GEN2 disconnects, 15x8 Crager 352's, 33x12.5x15 BFG MT, ARB Lockers Front and Rear, 4.56 Diffs, Cut & Tap Short Shaft Conversion, CV Rear Prop, B&M Transmission Cooler and Gauge, Bushwackers Cut-Outs, Skid Row Armor, AJ's SuperRails, LeBaron Hood Vents, KargoMaster Rack, Safari Snorkel, KC Daylighters, Midland CB, Brantz Navigation
Loads a mud!!

Last edited by UKJeepThang; 12-04-2007 at 04:20 AM..
UKJeepThang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2007, 07:00 AM   #3
boondocksaint
1995 XJ Cherokee 

there's one a few miles down the road that i see every two weeks or so. I'll try and snap some pics next time i see it..

White 95 XJ - Jacked up and abused
White 98 XJ - Stock and babied
boondocksaint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2007, 08:02 AM   #4
mjs4-0xj
1999 XJ Cherokee 

my friends mom is a mail carrier in a rural area and has had three right hand drive jeeps. 2 XJs and she just picked up a new wrangler . She orders them straight from the factory that way. Sorry but no pics for right now, but go to ebaymotors and search under "mail" or "postal" and sort by highest prices first and youll find yourself a couple XJs and couple TJs
mjs4-0xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2007, 08:49 AM   #5
SteveTheFolkie
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I can't find the danged link - but there's a guy in the US who bought a bunch of "never assembled" RHD XJ's and is selling off all the components for them - they're factory fresh - in the crate. I suppose you could get the dash, pedal assembly and steering gear and convert one from LHD to RHD.

I stumbled across the link a few weeks ago and apparently didn't bother to save it ....

Belay that - www.discountjeepparts.com/
SteveTheFolkie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2007, 09:50 AM   #6
gorman
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wann495909
so im pretty interested in seeing some right hand drive XJ's... also is it pretty hard to comeby these or do a conversion? Thanks!
If you want to do a conversion from RHD to LHD or vice versa I wouldn't advise it. I have a RHD and from all the info and factory service manuals I've seen the differences are way more than just the dash, steering and pedals.
2000 Cherokee Country 4.0l, AW4 auto, NP242, RE/OME 6" lift, OME N35L & N36 shocks on raised mounts, JKS Quicker Disconnects, RE SYE, RE CV driveshaft, 33" Maxxis Bighorns, Cragar D window 15x8 with 4" backspacing, ARB bumper, Hella Comet 550's, Warn M8000 winch, GME GX300 29mhz, custom rocksliders, Gearmax Mod 89 rear axle, HP D30 front axle with WJ knuckles, steering and brakes, 4.56 ratios
gorman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2007, 10:08 AM   #7
martyn812
1996 XJ Cherokee 

hi all in the usa here is a link to ebay uk with pics of a rhd xj for sale

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1998-JEEP-CHER...QQcmdZViewItem
martyn812 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2007, 11:15 AM   #8
SteveTheFolkie
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorman
If you want to do a conversion from RHD to LHD or vice versa I wouldn't advise it. I have a RHD and from all the info and factory service manuals I've seen the differences are way more than just the dash, steering and pedals.
True - unless you use a bell crank and some levers the brake MC will have to move, throttle cable routing could be a real pain, your steering box will have to be relocated as will the PS hoses, if it's an airbag vehicle there might be some complexity in which airbag gets activated under what circumstance, if it's a manual you'll be dealing with the clutch - you'll be fabricating various brackets and such - I doubt that it's a "bolt up" job. RHD will also complicate trail beta as your perspective from the drivers seat will be totally different from what others have seen passing through tough areas.

If you had (say) a wrecked or rusted RHD and a clean LHD shell so everything you'd need would be right THERE it'd be easier than trying to figure it out bit by bit -

However - RHD's are kinda neat to drive in the states - then again - a conversion (not indicated as RHD on the title) may have interesting legal implications - depending on where you live. I'd research that before I started - nothing like spending a ton of time and money modifying a vehicle and then discovering that you can't drive it on the road ...

I converted an old (1966 if memory serves) VW Bug from LHD to RHD - it was pretty simple (a bit of fabrication on the steering box, master cylinder, pedal assembly and steering column mounts) - but it was a far less complex vehicle than a somewhat modern Jeep. I did it 'cause I was bored and wanted an RHD VW.
SteveTheFolkie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2007, 09:35 PM   #9
spdfrk78
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Check out this link. There aren't any XJ's but still interesting.

www.postalpete.com
spdfrk78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2007, 01:45 AM   #10
gorman
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Other things to consider with a conversion are that with the steering rack change, the pitman arm would now be on the opposite side, its possbile that the draglink could just be swopped over and the same with the tierod, but the trackbar on a RHD mounts on the pumpkin side on the axle and has a different shape to the LHD model. Because the draglink would connect to the left hand side's front wheel hub, you'll also be in for a hub change. Also, the arrangement of the alternator, powersteering pump and aircon compressor is different on a RHD model and it also takes a different radiator and hoses to the LHD one.
2000 Cherokee Country 4.0l, AW4 auto, NP242, RE/OME 6" lift, OME N35L & N36 shocks on raised mounts, JKS Quicker Disconnects, RE SYE, RE CV driveshaft, 33" Maxxis Bighorns, Cragar D window 15x8 with 4" backspacing, ARB bumper, Hella Comet 550's, Warn M8000 winch, GME GX300 29mhz, custom rocksliders, Gearmax Mod 89 rear axle, HP D30 front axle with WJ knuckles, steering and brakes, 4.56 ratios
Unread 12-05-2007, 04:03 AM   #11
gorman
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Check out this nice Postal Jeep...and the cool Clayton bits on the front suspension: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...2322&highlight

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.