Right front suspension troubles - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Right front suspension troubles

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-11-2012, 06:48 PM   #1
Propane_SC
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Right front suspension troubles

I've noticed something's wrong with my right front suspension lately and it's getting worse.

I go on trails with my jeep, nothing special, just a little trail next to some train tracks close to where I live. There's bumps and humps, you know, everything that makes a trail.

If I go just fast enough over a bump with my right front wheel will cause a loud thump. Loud enough to cause you to think you broke something. I think it's just the tire hitting the wheel well. But here's the problem I'm concerned with. I can go over the same bump, going the same speed with the left front wheel, and it will not make the same noise. I'm thinking the shock or spring is loose in the right front. If it's not that, then It's because it was in a wreck 2 previous owners ago in the right front; it would be something connected to the axle?

Me and my dad (iSpark; he told me about this forum) took the front axle off (before I noticed the "bumping") and everything like the control arm, and sway bar looked fine, so what else could it be?

This is my first post so if there's any additional information you need just let me know.

-Cheers

Unread 10-11-2012, 06:59 PM   #2
Armycherokee
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Your not the only one I noticed the same problem with my 92 and I have an aftermarket track bar and when it gets loose I have more noise but when I tighten it it will quiet it down to just a thump it still sounds horrible but from other jeepers I go mudding with they all tell me it's just the Cherokee way they are all loud off road it's just something I had to get used to just check and make sure everything is tight and greased where you can and just take it easy
Armycherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2012, 07:28 PM   #3
Propane_SC
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Once I get the time, probably this weekend, i'll take the tires off and check them... hopefully tightening them will help.

And by tightening you mean the nuts and bolts that hold the shocks in right?

Edit: Actually looked at pictures of XJ's with everything they're suppose to have on the front, and I noticed I don't have a bump stop.

I'll have to find out where I can get one. Do they come in different variants, like good and bad ones?

Last edited by Propane_SC; 10-11-2012 at 07:57 PM..
Propane_SC is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.