Rhino Lined digital camo paint job ?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Rhino Lined digital camo paint job ??

Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-roadRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 06-28-2011, 02:33 PM   #1
4ll4boutda4play
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Rhino Lined digital camo paint job ??

I was thinking about how I want to paint my rig in the near future and decided upon maybe a digital camo theme either urban or marine corp. but then got to thinking about rhino lining as well.. with a bit of research i discovered that you can get different colored linings.. sooo.. what does everyone think?

1997 Cherokee Sport, Rustys Intake with velocity stack and larger cone filter, Flowmaster 40 series, Junkyard Lift 3.5", Zone Nitro Shocks, Trimed fenders, 35x14.5x15 TSL Thornbirds (Looks HUGE) ... trail damage :) Future holds Aftermarket bumpers front and rear, exo cage, lockers/gears
4ll4boutda4play is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2011, 02:37 PM   #2
4ll4boutda4play
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Sorry I didn't realize I was still under technical ... woops Mods could you relocate this thread or kill it so I can start it in the right subforum?
1997 Cherokee Sport, Rustys Intake with velocity stack and larger cone filter, Flowmaster 40 series, Junkyard Lift 3.5", Zone Nitro Shocks, Trimed fenders, 35x14.5x15 TSL Thornbirds (Looks HUGE) ... trail damage :) Future holds Aftermarket bumpers front and rear, exo cage, lockers/gears
Unread 06-28-2011, 05:53 PM   #3
lilnapsak
1997 XJ Cherokee 

you can get differant color liners.. but its alot harder to work with than paint. digital camo would need alot of taping to get your patterns and with the rough texture bedliners leave it might not come out as good as your thinking. if you wanna go for a camo theme i recomend just using spray paint.. but hey give the digital bedlining a try. worst thats going to happen is it doesnt come out the way you want, and you could just put new bedliner down.
Unread 06-28-2011, 06:43 PM   #4
Luke94XJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

I'd Rhino line it first then do the paint work. It should stick well enough.
Luke94XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2011, 09:54 PM   #5
bp2000xj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Rhino and all bed liner sprays are not uv stable for one. It will chalk out or fade over time sitting in the sun, Some company's may offer a top coat that is uv stable. You may also want to ask what on gallon weighs in at and how many gallons they think it will take. I have sprayed bed liner stuff before not rhino but full metal jacket ( looks like line x). That stuff is about 10 lbs a gallon and i would figure it would take about 15+ gallons just doing a light coat that would just give it the color of the stuff and texture.
If you hated how it was next day or a few years down the road good luck getting it off.
bp2000xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2011, 10:13 PM   #6
gcy24
1999 XJ Cherokee 

another user on here rhinolined his whole xj. im sure he could help.

selling "snowflake" 15x7 wheels with 225/75/15 tires, pm me.
gcy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2011, 10:18 PM   #7
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp2000xj View Post
Rhino and all bed liner sprays are not uv stable for one. It will chalk out or fade over time sitting in the sun, Some company's may offer a top coat that is uv stable. You may also want to ask what on gallon weighs in at and how many gallons they think it will take. I have sprayed bed liner stuff before not rhino but full metal jacket ( looks like line x). That stuff is about 10 lbs a gallon and i would figure it would take about 15+ gallons just doing a light coat that would just give it the color of the stuff and texture.
If you hated how it was next day or a few years down the road good luck getting it off.
your wrong.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f43/i.../index257.html

100%UV permanent guaranteed by the manufacturer.

i have a total of 5 gallons of this very product on my rig (every square inch. frame, underbody, interior, and exterior. that's 2 coats on everyting aswell)

it's not much to look at... but it's mine.
5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...r-junk-990191/
mike_breaker_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2011, 10:25 PM   #8
gcy24
1999 XJ Cherokee 

underbody? can you post some pics? ive thought about doing that...

selling "snowflake" 15x7 wheels with 225/75/15 tires, pm me.
gcy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2011, 10:32 PM   #9
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

also to the OP. see the colors there? that should help you get your digital colors real easy. i'll even post a pic of my old usmc woodland digitals i scanned for doing exactly what you are saying. i only plan on doing my dash however (some year down the road that is).

take those photos to someplace that can enlarge them
make like 12 copies of each
then the tedious job starts.
you must cut out all but one color out of each photo (there are 4 colors black, dark brown, light brown, and OD green)
now you have multiple stencils of each pattern for each color (that's why i say 12 copies 3 copies of each pattern for each color)
this should give you enough randomness to tie the stencils together nicely when placed over one another.
search you tube on how to do marpat patterns, you will find a lot of them on kids doing toy guns but the method is identical.
you could do the whole jeep in the OD green like my yj and then you couls reduce the numbers of stencils needed by one color. then you can, like you said, liner the jeep then do the paint work and only need to contend with 3 colors.

5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
Unread 06-28-2011, 11:31 PM   #10
bp2000xj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for proving me wrong Mike that all bed liner spray on is not UV stable. i have not seen this wonderful UV stable ROLL on stuff. with a 5 year warranty from chalking and fading. (meaning it was not tested for more then 5 years before being placed in the market.) as for rhino it is not UV stable will chalk out, will fade and does have some weight to it which 4ll4boutda4play said he was thinking about applying to said jeep. unless he was just talking about monsterliner or bed liner in general... but what i read in his post was RHINO LINER..... not line x not full metal jacket not turbo liner not any other hot process high pressure spray in bed liner spray but the cold process high pressure spray that needs a bonding agent to be applied
bp2000xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2011, 07:18 AM   #11
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks for proving me wrong Mike that all bed liner spray on is not UV stable. i have not seen this wonderful UV stable ROLL on stuff. with a 5 year warranty from chalking and fading. (meaning it was not tested for more then 5 years before being placed in the market.) as for rhino it is not UV stable will chalk out, will fade and does have some weight to it which 4ll4boutda4play said he was thinking about applying to said jeep. unless he was just talking about monsterliner or bed liner in general... but what i read in his post was RHINO LINER..... not line x not full metal jacket not turbo liner not any other hot process high pressure spray in bed liner spray but the cold process high pressure spray that needs a bonding agent to be applied
first off, i sprayed on every inch of monstaliner that's on my rig.
second every other liner chalks and fades due to it's rubber base materials, monstaliner is not rubber based. it had a ceramic/polyurethane base that i'm confident will never chalk at the very least and not fade anymore than your cars paint will. it actually uses automotive paint tint for the colored liner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ll4boutda4play View Post
I was thinking about how I want to paint my rig in the near future and decided upon maybe a digital camo theme either urban or marine corp. but then got to thinking about rhino lining as well.. with a bit of research i discovered that you can get different colored linings.. sooo.. what does everyone think?
the op was asking us directly what we thought of the "other colored liners". so i suggest you read before jumping on your soap box.

Unread 06-29-2011, 07:23 AM   #12
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcy24 View Post
underbody? can you post some pics? ive thought about doing that...

here's a quick one of the frame coated.

Unread 06-29-2011, 07:28 AM   #13
geiman
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You need to do some research before you go giving advice...
geiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2011, 08:07 AM   #14
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

There is no need for 15Gallons of liner I have my tub lined with Monstaliner also. Just under 1 gallon and it is pretty thick. They final released colors too which are great (saw them in person in the mad sci mixing room in their warehouse before they came out). Mike up above has the OD Green on his tub, and they have a sand color too. You could do something like this:

That was a pretty awesome build by tatooweeny, but he sold it. Here is his thread though: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/c...roject-566265/

Also, as mentioned above, Monstaliner can be sprayed or rolled. My 100% honest opinion of the liner, it is better than Rhino which is a professional liner. Line-X is the only thing that tops it, but that is in specific super abusive truck beds. Check out my install thread if you want a longer review.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/mo...ite-up-901675/
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2011, 09:08 AM   #15
4ll4boutda4play
1997 XJ Cherokee 

LMAO, Gents no need to get into a pissing contest over what chalks and what doesn't... you all have given me a good idea as to where to start, and I believe I will go the base coat route and then add the paterns ontop of that I think I will be trying to tackle this in the next couple weeks but IDK if I should wait to do my exocage first then paint under it or do it first and touch up what I burn when welding the cage together?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.