RHD xj build. project postal. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > RHD xj build. project postal.

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 02-07-2007, 11:30 PM   #1
thenoblesock
1948 CJ2A 

RHD xj build. project postal.

hey there, new to the forums but wanted to show the progress of my build.

it's my dad's hand-me-down ex mail jeep. right hand drive and everything.

it's getting some longarms and other stuff, but i'll link it directly to the site. tell me what you all think. updates daily at this point. drivable in a week...crossed fingers.

http://jeeptech.wordpress.com/project-postal/

thenoblesock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2007, 11:47 PM   #2
Muddy Cherokee
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Looks great! Is it 2wd? All the RHD XJ's I've seen (about 3, all on ebay, so I'm not a strong source) have been 2wd. Also, how is the steering setup? I've seen some sketchy pictures of RHD XJ's...
Muddy Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2007, 12:05 AM   #3
thenoblesock
1948 CJ2A 

haha right now it's 2wd...because i'm regearing the front end. it was 4wd, and will be 4wd. the steering mirrors a standard LHD steering setup just backward. my steering is an upgraded end to end tie rod with drag link, and custom made claytons high clearance track bar with relocation mount and a drop pitman arm to keep everything parallel.

not too sketch.
Unread 02-08-2007, 01:45 AM   #4
gorman
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Ahh, glad to see some more RHD Jeeps here. What did you do with an adjustable trackbar? On mine I'll probably going to modify the stock trackbar to be adjustable as I cannot find any RHD adjustables anywhere (okay there's a few in Aus...)
2000 Cherokee Country 4.0l, AW4 auto, NP242, RE/OME 6" lift, OME N35L & N36 shocks on raised mounts, JKS Quicker Disconnects, RE SYE, RE CV driveshaft, 33" Maxxis Bighorns, Cragar D window 15x8 with 4" backspacing, ARB bumper, Hella Comet 550's, Warn M8000 winch, GME GX300 29mhz, custom rocksliders, Gearmax Mod 89 rear axle, HP D30 front axle with WJ knuckles, steering and brakes, 4.56 ratios
gorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2007, 10:16 AM   #5
thenoblesock
1948 CJ2A 

yeah RHD adjustable trackbars are nonexistent in the states. i was quoted close to 400 dollars before shipping for one from down under where they are all RHD. but that wasn't very appealing, i would sooner mod my brackets and weld something up.

while i was ordering my claytons L/A's i asked him about a trackbar and oddly enough clayton had already done 2 projects on RHD imports and happened to have an extra drop bracket laying around. i already put the bracket on and the track bar is the beefiest thing i've ever seen. all i have to do is weld on my relocation mount and it will clear my diff. and a drop pitman arm should parallel the draglink/track bar.

here are some pics of the trackbar/frame mount. the axle relocation mount is just as beef but not pictured.

and the L/A's

Unread 02-08-2007, 11:25 AM   #6
Jeepster_SA

Try getting modifications or spare parts here in South Africa!! All our Jeeps are RHD, but not a lot of aftermarket or OEM stuff available, have to import from Australia, or US... Lots of $$$$$$$$
Jeepster_SA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2007, 11:45 AM   #7
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

My mom had a RHD 2000 Cherokee straight from chrysler's build plant in arkansas.

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2007, 03:18 PM   #8
thenoblesock
1948 CJ2A 

that importing this is definetly a total drag. interested to see you jeep out there. post a link or some pics!

i'll be sure to update mine as i go you'll be sure to see mine whenever it gets done.

and mine isn't even an import vehicle came right off the lot in richmond, VA. dad beat the hell out of it down backroads for 4 years then i've been rehabbing it ever since.
Unread 02-08-2007, 03:49 PM   #9
CDX74
1999 XJ Cherokee 

heh, i have to say, your jacking techniques look extremely unsafe

but everything else looks good
TnT Long Arms, Rough Country Shackle Relocation Kit, RE coils and leaf springs from 4.5" kit, ORO U-turn steering, AA SYE, 4.56 Superior gears, OME Shocks, Heavy Duty adjustable track bar, NP231, 33" TrXus MT, Hella headlights w/ IPF Fatboys, Monitor Lizard Front Bumper, Hanson read bumper w/ tyre carrier, AirFlow Snorkel, ARB Air Lockers front & rear, Brown Dog engine mounts, Kilby gas tank skid
My CarDomain page
CDX74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2007, 03:52 PM   #10
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDX74
heh, i have to say, your jacking techniques look extremely unsafe

OMG i would say so

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2007, 12:47 AM   #11
thenoblesock
1948 CJ2A 

the cool kids use blocks of wood to level out their jackstand techniques. i will be the first to post when it doesn't work out. haha

i know it's sketch, but tell me you haven't done something that makes you go "oh shiiiii*, i hope this works".

sometimes the jack isn't high enough, so improv. is neccesary. also there were jackstands in effect the whole time so the jeep was still stabilized no matter what...in theory.

anyway i appreciate your comments, give more depth to the build. but i swear if this build falls it will be because i roll the thing rather than it falling off the stands.

Last edited by thenoblesock; 02-09-2007 at 08:30 AM..
Unread 02-09-2007, 12:53 AM   #12
sjd78

You have got to be kidding me..... dude, dude, dude...that is what they make high lift jacks for. I looked at that picture and was like WTF!
35" BFG M/T's On 15x8 Soft 8's
5.5" T&T/RE Long Arm Lift, T&T Frame Stiffeners, JKS Sway Bar Dico's, RE Monotube's, T&T Steering Box Reinforcement, and much more!
sjd78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2007, 01:10 AM   #13
gorman
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoblesock
while i was ordering my claytons L/A's i asked him about a trackbar and oddly enough clayton had already done 2 projects on RHD imports and happened to have an extra drop bracket laying around. i already put the bracket on and the track bar is the beefiest thing i've ever seen. all i have to do is weld on my relocation mount and it will clear my diff. and a drop pitman arm should parallel the draglink/track bar.
That's some very nice kit. Would love to see it installed. Will that trackbar run in front of the diff housing on front axle? Oh, I guess with the relocation mount it probably moves the mounting point a little forward to enable clearance?
2000 Cherokee Country 4.0l, AW4 auto, NP242, RE/OME 6" lift, OME N35L & N36 shocks on raised mounts, JKS Quicker Disconnects, RE SYE, RE CV driveshaft, 33" Maxxis Bighorns, Cragar D window 15x8 with 4" backspacing, ARB bumper, Hella Comet 550's, Warn M8000 winch, GME GX300 29mhz, custom rocksliders, Gearmax Mod 89 rear axle, HP D30 front axle with WJ knuckles, steering and brakes, 4.56 ratios
gorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2007, 06:05 AM   #14
RussoGuitar
1989 XJ Cherokee 

hahah, wouldnt one long peice on ened work a little better, In any case thats lookin pretty nice.
RussoGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2007, 08:27 AM   #15
thenoblesock
1948 CJ2A 

hey hey get off my case, i didn't have a hilift, besides if you look in the picture you can see the jackstands are still there and only an inch above them at the time if at all. i just used what i had haha. i just thought it would be funny to show that picture, since most people wouldn't for fear of ridicule. but you're probably right i'm aiming for a spot on the Darwin award list.

don't worry that's the only sketchy part of this build.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.