Resto XJ Build thread...College budget style! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Resto XJ Build thread...College budget style!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-02-2008, 01:47 AM   #1
LJameson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Resto XJ Build thread...College budget style!

Ok, so I'm gonna be giving a shot at a build thread for my girlfriends XJ. We're both in college, so money isn't plentiful. So without using too much money, we're going to attempt to restore a descent XJ. It's a 1994 with 165k miles, 4.0, AW4 and 8.25 in the rear. She picked it up for 1200 bucks. The inside is as clean as can be, but the outside has got some dents. So over the next month, I'm gonna be working on it. It's going to be painted Black Metallic, get a Rubicon Express budget boost and bigger tires to compliment. The best thing about this is she provides the funds while I get to work on it, and use it when I feel like it Heres how it looked when she got it. With tires that look like they should be on a civic, they needed to be upgraded.

After driving on those for a week, they needed to go. My girl has a gift of finding stuff for cheap. Saying that, she found a used set of BFG AT's at a tire shop with about 20-30k miles of tread left. Mounted and balanced, the total came out to 75 bucks As soon as we got to my house, I got some rattle can and painted the rims. I don't have a driveway pic, but here it is on the Bald Mt trail.

After driving in it on the freeway, I couldn't help but notice the excessive wind noise from the door. I looked into it and found the upper door hinge was breaking away from the body, causing the door to sag and seperate from the jamb. So I got my nifty High Lift Jack off of my TJ and used it to my advantage

After that, I busted out the welder and welded the hinge. It's got to be the UGLIEST weld I've ever seen in my life, but it works. And FWIW, gassles flux core welding sucks . But the hinge is fixed, and I sprayed it with some paint to prevent rusting.

-Chris LeDoux

I never could figure what the sky was thinking, but the soil, she don't keep too many secrets.

Last edited by LJameson; 11-02-2008 at 01:00 AM..
LJameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2008, 01:51 AM   #2
LJameson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Now, It was time for me to start body work. I was able to pop out most of the dent behind the door. Got a 2x4, took apart the trim inside and banged it out. It's still a little warped, but i'll clean it up with body filler. I also took the fender off and banged that out a little too

Before

After

I took off the roof rack then gave it a quick wash with water, and then wiped the whole roof down with acetone. The paint on most of the body is Ok...but the top had clear coat peeling off.

Let me tell you, hand sanding is a *****. I did about half of the roof, and my dad finally tells me "I have a power sander you can use!" Thanks pops...

I got the roof done, but forgot to snap some pics. I'll get some tomorrow. But after the roof was sanded, I started working on the fender and adding some body filler to it.

Tomorrow I plan on finishing the fender and redo the sagging headliner, if the weather permits.

-Chris LeDoux

I never could figure what the sky was thinking, but the soil, she don't keep too many secrets.
Unread 11-02-2008, 04:21 AM   #3
k91
1986 CJ7 

Nice Jeep. I just picked up my XJ for $1200 too haha. Good luck with your project.
k91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2008, 11:32 AM   #4
ajxj9197
2009 WK 

way to go keep it up man
ajxj9197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2008, 12:00 PM   #5
95_TSi_AWD
1991 XJ Cherokee 

looks like fun but i'd be cautious with the bondo if i were you. if you do much 4 wheeling with it. if you hit a metal fender it dents and you push it back out. hit a metal fender with bondo on it the fender dents and the whole chunk of bondo breaks off taking all your fresh paint with it...
95_TSi_AWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2008, 12:16 PM   #6
LJameson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95_TSi_AWD View Post
looks like fun but i'd be cautious with the bondo if i were you. if you do much 4 wheeling with it. if you hit a metal fender it dents and you push it back out. hit a metal fender with bondo on it the fender dents and the whole chunk of bondo breaks off taking all your fresh paint with it...
I hear ya on that, thats why i'm using very thin layers of it. I hate bondo, but money is what holds me back from getting a new fender.

-Chris LeDoux

Unread 11-02-2008, 04:23 PM   #7
YJSXJ
1993 XJ Cherokee 

I got a junkyard fender for 25 bux and the paint matched PERFECTLY. But, black is a different story, although iguess it wouldn't matter if you are painting it.

Bruiser -- 93 XJ Sport. 9.5" lift on 35"" Claws, Locked front & Rear, and some other crap. Rolled it
Cruiser -- 1998 XJ Classic. 3" RC lift. 32" Kuhmo Ventures. Sold it
1999 WJ Limited V8. 4" Mix-n-Match Lift. Nothing special.
YJSXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2008, 07:04 PM   #8
xjfan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Looks like it'll be a fun project, will be following...

1999 XJ Sport, Black on Black, 4.0L

Follow build-up Cardomain XJfan Build Up
xjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2008, 08:51 PM   #9
JoeJeepWMU
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Lookin good.

2006 Jeep TJ Sport Auto White Jeep Club #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyGoat View Post
I'll do you one better. Friday afternoon.

Though to be fair I have washed my balls off in the sink once or twice.
JoeJeepWMU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2008, 08:53 PM   #10
LJameson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I got the headliner done today. I took pics but left them in the XJ. Also, I pulled out the carpet and found something saddening...cancer!

So added to the project is to weld some metal. Does anyone know where I can get some replacement floorboards?

-Chris LeDoux

Unread 11-02-2008, 09:51 PM   #11
eliassami5
1991 XJ Cherokee 

good job man, how do you plan on painting the jeep? Spray gun or roll on? I was in the process of restoring mine but i stopped halfway with the bodywork because the time and money i had invested in it just wasn't justifiable lol, its a beater and will allways be a beater...Ill be following this one.
eliassami5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2008, 10:25 PM   #12
LJameson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'm going to be spraying on. My dads work has a spray booth, and he has all the equipment. I've already "restored" something, and that was my first car...88 Toyota pickup. For 200 bucks and being only 17 at the time, I don't think i did too bad...

-Chris LeDoux

Unread 11-02-2008, 10:31 PM   #13
ep191
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Nah you did horrible... jk But seriously i second the comment about checking out the junkyards, you could probably find a nice fender for under 50 bucks easy and paint it but anyways good luck with the build nice job so far.
ep191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2008, 02:38 PM   #14
XJ2000
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Nice job so far, body work is no easy task.

Trail Rig: 2000 XJ w/ 4.5" RE SF, Locked XJ D44 Rear, Locked D30, and a bunch of other things

Pavement Pounder: 2001 XJ Daily Driver, 2" BB, 245/70R16 AT's on Moabs
XJ2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2008, 12:12 AM   #15
LJameson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Update. Not much has changed, but I got the whole front end done. We're working on getting a new front bumper now. Looking at the Warrior products bumper. It's nothing fancy, but it's cheap, and doesn't look bad.

First off, here's the headliner. I'm not a fan of the fabric she picked, but what she says goes. I still have yet to do the sound bar. I ran out of glue...

Here's pic's of the front end. The hood is good (with the exception of one little ding) so I just sanded it down and put the primer down. I know, A LOT of overspray. But it shouldn't be hard to remove with acetone.

Sorry for the night pics, but I was working a lot today and didn't get that many shots. Most of the work went into that crappy fender. It's done too, but I have to pull the flares off so I can sand the whole thing.

And then here's right behind the drivers door. Yes, that is a lot of bondo. And it's only a little door ding. I just got bored and decided to slap a whole bunch on there. More work, but oh well...

-Chris LeDoux

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.