Replacing Valve Cover Gasket - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Replacing Valve Cover Gasket

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 01-30-2007, 06:18 PM   #1
BassAngler

Replacing Valve Cover Gasket

My wife took our jeep in for an oil change, and he said that the valve cover was leaking. So I had her pick up a gasket, so I can change it. How hard is the valve cover to do on a 2000 Cherokee 4.0L, is it pretty straight foward?

BassAngler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2007, 06:22 PM   #2
cmotsvt

Id rank it on par with changing the oil. Although my experience is with renixes, its all the same.
cmotsvt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2007, 06:25 PM   #3
jmundale
1981 J-Series Truck 

me and my little sister did my valve cover gasket over christmas, wasnt too bad - the bolts towards the rear of the engine get kinda cramped - also, beware of "German Torque" when you put the bolts back in - Guten Tight ended up snapping one of mine, lucky it was right up front and came out real easy.
Unread 01-30-2007, 06:30 PM   #4
TMCXJ
1996 ZJ 

Pay attention to torgue, you'll be torquing in INCH-pounds, not foot pounds... most folks just tighten "by eye," if that makes sense; you just don't want to crush the gasket and get it squeezing out. The newer vehicles (including yours) have no lip in the head to "crimp" the gasket. But all in all, on a scale of 1 to 10, probably I'd rate it between a 1 and a 1.5.
"...a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. But tumult soon subsides. Time makes more converts than reason." Thomas Paine
TMCXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2007, 06:43 PM   #5
BassAngler

Cool, doesn't sound to bad, what inch pounds do they need to be torqued to.
Unread 01-30-2007, 06:49 PM   #6
TMCXJ
1996 ZJ 

...crap... I knew you were gonna ask dat...

um, well, the simple answer is that I don't remember off the top of my head, and the year might matter, too, if I recall... I hate to give you the wrong answer, but what sticks in my memory is like 55 in.lbs. for a 2000-2001? Somebody? ANYBODY?!?!

Sorry, I know that's not the kind of answer you're looking for. Hopefully someone will jump in, most likely just "hand tight, don't use a ratchet" kind of answer...
"...a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. But tumult soon subsides. Time makes more converts than reason." Thomas Paine
TMCXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2007, 07:14 PM   #7
sean87xj

Chilton's says 85in/lb, good luck!
sean87xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2007, 10:58 PM   #8
BassAngler

Cool, thx guys.
Unread 01-30-2007, 11:33 PM   #9
BrunoS

85 in lbs is around 5ft lbs.
Magnaflow Muffler / High-flo Cat / MSD Coil
BrunoS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2007, 11:58 PM   #10
Rescue XJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Easy as changing a diaper.
4L HO Command track Dana 30 front Chrysler 8.25 rear CarQuest XD shocks, Federal Signal emergency stuff, MCX 1000 DES-XL, TK-940, Astro Spectra W3 encrypted, Magnaflow 18" body, Medical supplies, MREs, Gatoraid, Shovel, MagLite, body armor, grappling hook, annoying squeeking sound from my door, otherwise stock for now.
White Jeep Club Member #911
Code 3 Jeep Club Member #1
Eagle Scout Jeep Club Member #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx50cj3a
Vatozone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 Briarwood
I think "that look" is what they teach the chicks in 6th grade when they show them "that film" behind closed doors.
Rescue XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2007, 12:02 PM   #11
XJLI
1993 XJ Cherokee 

clean out the crank case vents and hoses with some shop air while the valve cover is off too

XJLI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.