Replacing Quarter Window Writeup - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Replacing Quarter Window Writeup

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 08-03-2009, 10:23 PM   #1
Jeep89JV
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Replacing Quarter Window Writeup

sup fellas, this is my first little tutorial write up, its really brief and all but i noticed after searching for this myself i didn't get many results so hopefully i make someones life a little easier in the future. so for anyone out there wonderin how that window is held together and on there, here it is!

first off, roll down your door window allowing you to work with the quarter window. then remove the two torx on the top of your door along the frame, just below the quarter window.

after takin off your inside door paneling held on by christmas-tree clip thingys, and removing the doorlock/doorhandle rods(held together only by two small plastic safety clips which are swingarm-like.. see pics below.

NOTE: if you're reusing the window sealing(the rubber strips outside the quarter window) be very careful with it, most times you'll find between that rubber and the window there will be silicon!

after taking out that bolt simply move the quarter window(whats left of it if anything) and the guide in the direction shown in the picture below.

now all you need to do is clean out(or grab your new window rubber seal), use some silicon lightly inside, place the window in and allow it to dry for a little bit depending on what you used. i only had some gasket ultra black laying around so it wasnt a quick dry thing but it wasnt too long. after that pretty simply and retrace your steps

hopefully this helped someone, if not well. i wasted 15mins of my time grabin the camera and uploadin the pics here and into this thread lol.

peace!

[I][B]My Build Thread:[/B][/I][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/broke-kid-build-96-xj-1007038/[/url]

[B][I]New Mexico Driving Rules...[/I][/B][LIST][*]As a general rule, the vehicle most in need of a significant amount of bodywork (for which the driver is most likely uninsured) always has the right of way.[*]Never use directional signals when changing lanes. They only serve to give away your next move, causing most NM drivers to speed up and not let you in. In fact, use of directional signals within most large NM city limits is actual illegal.[*]NM law states that at least 50% of all paved surfaces within the state must be under construction at any one time. In all construction zones, at least half of the available lanes must be closed, regardless of whether any actual construction is be accomplished or not. Construction signs shall be regularly repositioned in order to warn drivers about upcoming lane closures immediately after they pass the last exit before traffic backups.
[*]Driving through constructions zones with upcoming lane closures is a popular game in NM. It’s called the "speed up and pass as many cars as you can, then see how close to the lane closure you can squeeze back into traffic before hitting any of the orange construction barrels" game.[/LIST]
Jeep89JV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2009, 05:34 PM   #2
thnksno
1999 WJ 

That's nice to put this up... I already noted how this and the rear ones are put in/out from the FSM.

BUT - stopped on this thread hoping you had the mod to put the windows that open in place of the fixed ones. It seems to be a no-conversation, unless I search the wrong key words. But I thought at one time XJs had the option to open these windows??? If so, is it as easy as a swap? What years/models had the functioning windows? I suspect Wagoneer?
thnksno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2009, 05:51 PM   #3
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

My 1990 has the swing open wing windows. From what I understand everyone that has them wants rid of them. They leak, they whistle on the highway, and they generally are a PITA to operate. I just replaced my passenger's side one because the little lock handle broke apart and left a 3/4" hole in the glass where it goes. It was just easier to replace the whole window with one that had the handle already in it.

thnksno, I would seriously consider the reasoning behind the manufacturers doing away with them before trying to put something obsolete into your Jeep.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2009, 11:18 PM   #4
Jeep89JV
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah i think those quarter windows were swing open to about 93?

[I][B]My Build Thread:[/B][/I][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/broke-kid-build-96-xj-1007038/[/url]

[B][I]New Mexico Driving Rules...[/I][/B][LIST][*]As a general rule, the vehicle most in need of a significant amount of bodywork (for which the driver is most likely uninsured) always has the right of way.[*]Never use directional signals when changing lanes. They only serve to give away your next move, causing most NM drivers to speed up and not let you in. In fact, use of directional signals within most large NM city limits is actual illegal.[*]NM law states that at least 50% of all paved surfaces within the state must be under construction at any one time. In all construction zones, at least half of the available lanes must be closed, regardless of whether any actual construction is be accomplished or not. Construction signs shall be regularly repositioned in order to warn drivers about upcoming lane closures immediately after they pass the last exit before traffic backups.
[*]Driving through constructions zones with upcoming lane closures is a popular game in NM. It’s called the "speed up and pass as many cars as you can, then see how close to the lane closure you can squeeze back into traffic before hitting any of the orange construction barrels" game.[/LIST]
Jeep89JV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2009, 11:31 PM   #5
polizi212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep89JV View Post
sup fellas, this is my first little tutorial write up, its really brief and all but i noticed after searching for this myself i didn't get many results so hopefully i make someones life a little easier in the future. so for anyone out there wonderin how that window is held together and on there, here it is!

first off, roll down your door window allowing you to work with the quarter window. then remove the two torx on the top of your door along the frame, just below the quarter window.

after takin off your inside door paneling held on by christmas-tree clip thingys, and removing the doorlock/doorhandle rods(held together only by two small plastic safety clips which are swingarm-like.. see pics below.

NOTE: if you're reusing the window sealing(the rubber strips outside the quarter window) be very careful with it, most times you'll find between that rubber and the window there will be silicon!

after taking out that bolt simply move the quarter window(whats left of it if anything) and the guide in the direction shown in the picture below.

now all you need to do is clean out(or grab your new window rubber seal), use some silicon lightly inside, place the window in and allow it to dry for a little bit depending on what you used. i only had some gasket ultra black laying around so it wasnt a quick dry thing but it wasnt too long. after that pretty simply and retrace your steps

hopefully this helped someone, if not well. i wasted 15mins of my time grabin the camera and uploadin the pics here and into this thread lol.

peace!
thanks for the your time, I'll make it click free for you in return
Unread 08-05-2009, 05:16 PM   #6
thnksno
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_D View Post
My 1990 has the swing open wing windows. From what I understand everyone that has them wants rid of them. They leak, they whistle on the highway, and they generally are a PITA to operate. I just replaced my passenger's side one because the little lock handle broke apart and left a 3/4" hole in the glass where it goes. It was just easier to replace the whole window with one that had the handle already in it.

thnksno, I would seriously consider the reasoning behind the manufacturers doing away with them before trying to put something obsolete into your Jeep.
Thnx! Lol I wondered why they did away with them, I like air blowing at me... I find the XJ windows to be a little restrictive, I had the swing out (like the name, maybe easier to find) as I had them on my '76 Cherokee Chief... LOL! a previous owner etched in a scene of a bass jumping from a pond... At the time Ren & Stimpy were big, we called it the Muddy-Mud-Skipper!

Anyway, this is a 'fun' vehicle for me, the downs seem to fall short of the pluses in that regard, I might still seek them out.
thnksno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2009, 08:05 PM   #7
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

If you find an XJ in the wrecking yard that has them, there's a nut inside the door below the window that makes up the lower pivot hinge. Looks to be a pain to get to. Then I think there's two screws hold the upper part of the frame in place as pictured above. Then I think the whole assembly comes right out.

Modifying your doors to accept the lower pivot hinge might be the troublesome spot.

I agree with you. I've owned 5 vehicles now that have had the wing windows and I love them. I'm a smoker and it's nice to pop the wing window and a passenger wouldn't even know I had a smoke lit. They also vacuum out a **** load of air from the interior. A lot more than the roll down window does. At least they did on my two Chevy's. It's also handy to have a window open in the rain and not get wet. At all. Even at a stop.

It's just up to you whether the down sides are worth the hassle. I'm not too particular or worried about wind noise as I ALWAYS have a window open when I'm driving. It can be 50 below out and I have a window cracked. It can be ****ing down rain and I've got 1/2" of window open. Doesn't matter. So a little wind noise for me is insignificant. But some people it bugs the **** out of them. Only you can decide which category you fall in to.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.