Replacing Grease Boots - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Replacing Grease Boots

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 04-10-2006, 12:14 PM   #1
gregmondro

Replacing Grease Boots

I'm gonna be replacing the grease boots on the XJ this weekend.

Both tie rod ends (pass and drivers side)
and the boot between the draglink and the pitman arm.

any pointers on getting this done? Also, what tool is easiest to get the job done? Last time we did them on the ZJ I had before this Jeep I just used a pickle fork since the boots were toast already. Should I go the same route this time?

one more question - are the boots the same for the tre and the draglink/pitman arm?

I picked up a set of the energy suspension boots a few weekends ago and it looks like it shouldn't be a problem for the TRE's, but i'm not positive about the other

99 Jeep XJ - NP231, SYE, 4.56's, Rear D44 w/ Detroit SoftLocker and a RockCrusher Diff Cover, 35x12.5 BFG A/Ts, RE 5.5" XD Lift, Skidrow TC Skid, ORT Rear Bumper + Carrier, Rigidco Front Winch Bumper + Steering Box Plate, Milemarker 8000 Winch, Rock Sliders, HD Currie Steering, Control Arm Skids, Goferit Tie Rod Flip Insert, Optima Red Top and a few other goodies...
FiveZeroFive
XJ 8.25 Rear End Disc Brake Conversion For Sale!
gregmondro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2006, 12:48 PM   #2
ayoung

i usually take the castle nuts off, flip them around, and put them back on till the bolt is flush with the end of it, then take a small piece of wood, put it over the nut, and hit with a nice big hammer....works everytime and doesnt mess up the boots or the nuts

the one up there on the pitman arm can be a real pain, might need a pickle fork for that one, depends on if you anti-siezed it last time you took it out
AJ's Superrails, Diff guards, d30 lockright, d44 rear axle w/ spool, 4.88 gears in both
Flowmaster Super40, Banks Headers, cone intake
ayoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2006, 01:50 PM   #3
gregmondro

Yep, i know exactly what you mean about the pitman arm one. On the ZJ that took a good 10 minutes to get off of there.

No clue on this XJ if it was anti-siezed before though. This Jeep is new to me more or less (only had it about a month now)
99 Jeep XJ - NP231, SYE, 4.56's, Rear D44 w/ Detroit SoftLocker and a RockCrusher Diff Cover, 35x12.5 BFG A/Ts, RE 5.5" XD Lift, Skidrow TC Skid, ORT Rear Bumper + Carrier, Rigidco Front Winch Bumper + Steering Box Plate, Milemarker 8000 Winch, Rock Sliders, HD Currie Steering, Control Arm Skids, Goferit Tie Rod Flip Insert, Optima Red Top and a few other goodies...
FiveZeroFive
XJ 8.25 Rear End Disc Brake Conversion For Sale!
gregmondro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2006, 06:23 PM   #4
ChewyXJ
nom nom nom

If you plan on reusing the joints I'd recommend against using a pickle fork. A tie-rod puller is reasonably priced. Make sure you get full boots. I hate those half sized boots that are all too easy to find. They don't hold as much grease as a greasy guy like me needs.
'87 XJ 2" lift
'96 XJ stock

"Personally, I've learned so much from my mistakes, I'm thinking of making some more."

"Don't believe everything you think..."
ChewyXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.