Replacing front & rear differential fluid? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Replacing front & rear differential fluid?

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 03-16-2008, 11:17 PM   #16
TreddyoXJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I manage a quick lube and this is the procedure I mandate for Jeep differentials:

1. You don't need bother with removing the cover unless you would like to have a new differential cover gasket. The fluid can be effectively changed without taking off the cover.
2. We utilize a pneumatic pump (Graco "Diff Sucker") to suck the fluid out through the fill plug. Any type of pump will for for the job, including ones that you find at the auto parts store or Wal Mart, the pneumatic one is expensive but extremely fast.
3. Make sure the suction tube is at the bottom of the differential when you're removing the old fluid.
4. When the differential starts to get empty, spray the inside with a little bit of brake cleaner through the fill hole and let it sit for a minute. Then pump or pour in a little bit of the new fluid (1/2 pint or slightly less). This is kind of like a flush for what's left inside of the differential. Proceed to suck this fluid out also.
5. Once all of the fluid is removed, add until the gear lube starts to ooze out of the fill plug. Let it ooze until it's barely coming out anymore and then plug it up.

You now have new gear lube. I have nothing against removing the cover by the way, this is just an easier/quicker way to do it if there's really no need to take off the cover. In regards to service intervals, the condition should be checked every 15,000 miles, or more frequently with water crossings. I check mine every time I change the motor oil.

SOLD: 1997 Jeep Cherokee Country w/D44, D30 w/ Aussie locker, Edge Trail Jammer System, 4.5" Rough Country lift, Zacatal Roof Rack, T&T front bumper, all lower body/bumpers/trim are Herculined, 31x10.5 MT Baja Claws, Warn 9.5ti. Ephesians 6:10-18

I HATE when people hijack threads. PM!
TreddyoXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2008, 12:22 AM   #17
Highway 4x4
2001 XJ Cherokee 

And if you have the factory possi add the friction modifier.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2008, 06:50 AM   #18
shouston75
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbxj View Post
I take it those are reusable?

$32 vs $6
if not I'll stick with the blue RTV
http://www.lubelocker.com/why.html

Quote:
Q: Is this gasket reusable?
A: Probably a few times. We will not endorse reuse. We will tell you that people have done it and it has worked. We will not tell you how many times. It depends greatly on the application, interval between disassembly, and "environmental factors".
shouston75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2008, 10:30 AM   #19
RacecaR

If you decide to pop the cover and spray everything with brake cleaner- unbolt all of the bolts, except leave the top one loose. This way when you break the seal, the diff cover "hangs" instead of possibly falling into used oil.
RacecaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2008, 10:56 AM   #20
mecompco
www.midcoastjeep.com

1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

$32 vs $6
LubeLocker does not specifically say you can reuse them, but rather that some have reused them two or three times. I've reused the one on my 8.8 once now with no leaks. If you figure in the time saved scraping off sealant, it helps make the cost more palatable.
Suspension: Old Man Emu 3" lift+OME AAL, JKS adjustable trackbar, QDs, LCAs UCAs, A.C.O.S., DPG Offroad adjustable bumpstop plate, Daystar poly bumpstops.
Steering: Currie HD steering, C-ROK steering box reinforcement, OME stabilizer.
Armor/Recovery: T&T Custom belly skid, Mopar gas tank skid, JKS LCA mini skids, Rock Lizard Super Skink Sliders, Mopar 2" receiver, ARB Bull Bar/Ramsey REP 8.5 winch.
Drive train: D30 front axle w/Superior Chromo D30 axles & outter seals, D/S 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, Ruff Stuff cover. Ford 8.8 rear axle w/Superior Super 88 kit, Ford Motor Sports 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, SOLID cover, Russell stainless lines. Front and rear Tom Woods HD drive shafts, 242 x-fer case w/Tom Woods SYE.
Tires/Wheels: 33x10.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains on Alcoas.
Misc: Garvin Wilderness rack, Safari Snorkel, Redline Tuning hood lifts.
Awaiting installation: Autometer A pillar gauge pod, oil, water, & tranny temp guages, PIAA driving lights, Goferit tie-rod flip bushing, '95 Brake booster and M/C, M.O.R.E. Motor mounts, TnT Custom 1.5" Shackle.
Stroker Project: HO Block, '99 intake manifold, bored TB, 1" TB spacer, Dynomax Blackjack Header, Permacool electric fan.
mecompco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2008, 11:18 AM   #21
Ultramag

I just got back from having the oil/lube done on my '06 Unlimited. I have 24K miles on the jeep and the guy at the lube shop told me that I needed to change the differential fluids every 12K miles. From what I read here, it seems like I don't need to worry about this until about 60K miles. The jeep hasn't been in water.

Thoughts?
Ultramag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2008, 11:30 AM   #22
Jason, aka: Jeepin.com
Vendor

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Personally I'd probably do it about every 30K, but 60K is probably fine if you're not in water much. With the amount of work I do on our rigs, I rarely pay attention to mileage intervals when it comes to changing our diff fluid. (though it is time for me to change the diff fluid in our truck...). I've always pulled the covers off to change the fluid (even on my MIL's WJ), if for no other reason than to inspect the differential and gears.

Regarding LubeLockers, we run them front/rear on both our Jeeps and they've worked really well. I hate dealing with the mess and hassle of RTV, so even if they weren't very reusable, I'd still use them. I think we're up to like 4-5 uses on the rear of our TJ with no leaks so far. One side benefit to them is they make trail side repairs in your diff a lot nicer and easier vs using RTV.
'00 TJ, SOLD, wife's, RE 4.5" long-arm, 35" MT/Rs, D30+OX, D44+ARB, 4.88s, full cage, winch, C4x4 & Jeeperman bumpers, etc, etc.

Jason, aka: Jeepin.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2008, 11:38 AM   #23
sbxj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramag View Post
I just got back from having the oil/lube done on my '06 Unlimited. I have 24K miles on the jeep and the guy at the lube shop told me that I needed to change the differential fluids every 12K miles. From what I read here, it seems like I don't need to worry about this until about 60K miles. The jeep hasn't been in water.

Thoughts?
after I had my 8.25 replaced under warranty at 50k the Dealer told me it was recommended to replace the fluid at 12k also
He said the 8.25 has been prone to failure due to lack of maintenance
They also put synthetic in the diff

'99 WJ Laredo, 4.0L with HID Retrofit
WJ HID Retrofit Pics
sbxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2008, 12:46 PM   #24
asp87
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

$32 vs $6
either way i'm sticking with the 6 dollar option. a wire wheel on a drill gets it all off the cover nicely anyway.
Unread 04-05-2008, 01:18 PM   #25
sprintagogo
2000 XJ Cherokee 

On landrovers we always use paper gaskets(more like thick card really) to fit the third member diffs into the axle. I am tempted to try and make one as it is available in sheets and if greased before installation they can be re-used providing it doesn't stick and tear during removal. shop purchased paper gaskets cost about 2 or $3-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddeprived View Post
Who's eric?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedFrogHooah View Post
Sprintagogo, you're absolutely amazing. I don't care what they say about yall over across the pond - you're a godsend!
sprintagogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2008, 01:13 AM   #26
Matte36m3
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I just joined the forum and am really happy to be back in an XJ again. I previously had a 1996 Country and put 60k hard Colorado mountain miles on it without a single problem. I loved that Jeep and wish that I had never sold it!

Bored at work last week, I happened across the GSA auction listing online for the upcoming auction near my parents in Northern Virginia and saw a 2001 Cherokee Sport with a little over 14k miles on it. One week later and now it's waiting to be picked up by me in my parents' driveway!

The vehicle appears to be in excellent condition save for a few scratches and some faded door ding guards. Given that the vehicle is 7 years old, should I go ahead and change the auto tranny, transfer case and diff fluids or should I wait until it hits 30k? It will serve as a winter driver and summer camping vehicle, but no serious off roading. Also, do any of you know of a good product to renew the plastic bumper guards and door guards?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Matte36m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2008, 05:45 AM   #27
xjarchaeologist
2001 XJ Cherokee 

It's easy to do, and why not? I did my rear one last year (never got to the front). It was pretty bad stuff. I'm doing both, the t-case, transmission, and engine tomorrow...Fun stuff, fluid changes...
xjarchaeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2008, 05:28 PM   #28
dhowell
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I have a Jeep Cherokee 1999 Sport 4WD and plan to change the gear lubricant in both front and rear. I purchased 4 quarts of gear lubricant at the Jeep dealership today. When I got home, I noticed that I was sold 80W/90 instead of 75W/90 as the owners manual called for. Do I have the wrong lubricant?
dhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2008, 07:51 PM   #29
dakotajeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

The manual calls for 75W90. Personally, if its not far I would exchange it.

*SOLD* 1998 XJ 4.0, Modified Rock Lizard Homebrew lift (about 1.5 inches), 215/75 BFG AT's, Dynomax muffler, Firepower Ignition Kit w/Champion plugs, Sylvania headlamps (best bang for the buck)
dakotajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2008, 06:35 AM   #30
fourtwenty
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
And if you have the factory possi add the friction modifier.
Is there an easy way to tell if you have the factory posi? I'm going to be changing my rear fluid soon. I have the 8.25 rear end.

Past Jeeps: 2004 WJ Limited, 1999 Cherokee, 2003 Rubicon, 1987 Cherokee, 1976 CJ5, another 1987 Cherokee, 1976 CJ7, 1983 CJ7, 1977 CJ5, 1982 CJ7.
fourtwenty is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.