Replacing Front Axle U-Joints - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Replacing Front Axle U-Joints

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.cFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 03-27-2010, 03:37 PM   #1
GearGuy10
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Replacing Front Axle U-Joints

The front axle u-joints on my 98 XJ have been squeaking like crazy when I turn. I sprayed them with WD-40 and the sound goes away.

Anyway, I'm trying to pull the front axle shafts to replace the u-joints. I have it all apart but I can't pull the passenger axle shaft. My book says I have to open a vacuum motor housing on the axle and pull some stuff out. I don't see anything like that on the axle. Do I have to open the differential cover and do something in there first to get the shaft out? I was under the impression they just kind of slide out but it isn't budging.

HERS: 2009 Liberty Sport Light Graystone Pearl
100% Stock
GearGuy10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2010, 03:48 PM   #2
blue96jeep
1996 XJ Cherokee 

your book is referring to a vacuum disconnect that is on the older cherokees. just double checking but did you take the unit bearing off? if it is off than you might have to use some elbow grease to convince it to come out.
blue96jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2010, 03:52 PM   #3
Honkeymudderfo
1987 YJ Wrangler 

ya that vacuum disco is oldschool. There is no c-clips in the front. sometimes they are just stuck i mean they been in there a long time. Try tapping it in a bit first, then out with a prybar, itl come.
Honkeymudderfo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2010, 03:59 PM   #4
Carl48
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You do not have a vacuum motor on your axle as it is not a disconnect type axle.

Perhaps there is a C-clip that needs to be removed before the axle shaft can be withdrawn.
Carl48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2010, 04:09 PM   #5
98GooseXJ14
1997 XJ Cherokee 

its probably just tight from being in for so long as stated, just go slow and check for any clips, i do not believe there are any clips there, but make sure the hub bearing and everything is off and out of the way.
98GooseXJ14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2010, 04:10 PM   #6
jsmiddleton4
1997 XJ Cherokee 

"and pull some stuff out."

Funniest thing I've read all day. Thanks for the laugh.
jsmiddleton4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2010, 04:43 PM   #7
GearGuy10
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah, the book is in the garage and the computer is in the house. I couldn't remember what is said to pull out of the housing.

Anyway, I've been bangin' the crap-ola out of both sides. They just won't budge. Right now I'm just trying to get the hubs off. I pulled the 36mm nut and the 3 smaller ones on the back. I may run to Autozone and borrow a puller. The rubber hammer is worthless and my 5 lb hand maul isn't doing much either.

I was just wondering if there was something in the differential, like c-clips. I'd like to avoid the mess of cracking it open, but I will if I have to.

100% Stock
Unread 03-27-2010, 04:57 PM   #8
escapeartist
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearGuy10 View Post
Yeah, the book is in the garage and the computer is in the house. I couldn't remember what is said to pull out of the housing.

Anyway, I've been bangin' the crap-ola out of both sides. They just won't budge. Right now I'm just trying to get the hubs off. I pulled the 36mm nut and the 3 smaller ones on the back. I may run to Autozone and borrow a puller. The rubber hammer is worthless and my 5 lb hand maul isn't doing much either.

I was just wondering if there was something in the differential, like c-clips. I'd like to avoid the mess of cracking it open, but I will if I have to.
I have a stupid question. Did you take the caliper and rotor off? I didn't see that mentioned. but ya, take the big nut (36mm) and the three bolts out of the back that go into the unit bearing, turn the wheel so you can get some room and use a 2x4 or something and beat the crap outa the edge of the unit bearing, it will be tight. I used a 2lb brass hammer on one of mine, the axle came with it and I had to use a puller to get the hub off the spline, the other came no problem. No C clips in a Dana thirty.
Unread 03-27-2010, 05:00 PM   #9
escapeartist
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Curious about your handle, you a gear cutter?
Unread 03-27-2010, 05:17 PM   #10
jsmiddleton4
1997 XJ Cherokee 

"Yeah, the book is in.."

No need to explain. "Pull some stuff out..." is all that needs be said around here. Belive me.
jsmiddleton4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2010, 05:26 PM   #11
GearGuy10
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I think I just schmucked up my hub assembly. I went and got a slide hammer and gave it a few whacks. Pulled the hub assembly in half. I'm lookin' at bearings right now. I'll try to get a picture. I still can't get that back half to separate. I just tried a 4 ft. iron pry bar and my hand sledge. She's welded on there. Any ideas?

100% Stock
Unread 03-27-2010, 05:28 PM   #12
GearGuy10
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapeartist View Post
Curious about your handle, you a gear cutter?
No. I just collect/own a lot of "gear." I'm an avid outdoorsman. I like gadgets , tools, and "stuff."

100% Stock
Unread 03-27-2010, 05:41 PM   #13
escapeartist
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearGuy10 View Post
I think I just schmucked up my hub assembly. I went and got a slide hammer and gave it a few whacks. Pulled the hub assembly in half. I'm lookin' at bearings right now. I'll try to get a picture. I still can't get that back half to separate. I just tried a 4 ft. iron pry bar and my hand sledge. She's welded on there. Any ideas?
pictures will be worth 1000 words.
Unread 03-27-2010, 05:48 PM   #14
GearGuy10
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Here's where I'm at. I'm assuming I'm now in for a new hub assembly. I just want to know how to get that friggin' thing off. I've been beating it like a red-headed step child and it won't budge.

100% Stock
Unread 03-27-2010, 06:04 PM   #15
Jeepjet
2012 JK Wrangler 

Take a big flat head straight slot screw driver with a stubby end (not sharp) and place it between the hub and brake back plate and hit it with small ledge hammer it will slowly break the rust bead around whats left. You could also use a large chisel. The force of the wedge will break the unit free. Good luck, and wear safety glasses unlike these clowns on TV with all the cool tools and no brains!
2012 JK Sport, Deep Cherry Red , 3.6 Penastar, 5 spd. auto, 3:21's, 285/70x17 DuraTrac's , Teraflex leveling kit, U.S. Alloy 1.5 spacers, ACE rock sliders, Rugged Ridge front dif skid, quadratec mats, K&N element,+80 headlamps...
Jeepjet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.