Replacing floors on an XJ with pics + build thread - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Replacing floors on an XJ with pics + build thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 11-27-2010, 08:33 PM   #91
wgirvine
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I can't believe how much rust you guys in the Salt Belt have to put up with. So I just have to ask this... why don't you guys take a few days off work, pull a trailer out here to southern California and buy a junkyard Jeep?

Our junkyards are full of Cherokees and Grands, that are there simply because they have 200,000 miles and a blown engine. Or a blown tranny. But NO rust. None. I know it may be hard to believe, but cars (and Jeeps!) simply don't rust here. When I go to my local junkyard to pull some parts, I don't even bring penetrating oil. I just take the parts off with wrenches and sockets.

Why not buy a rust-free Jeep, take it home, and transfer everything out of your rust-bucket and into the good Jeep? Too much work? I dunno, it sure sounds easier than fixing all that rust! Cullen, good job with the floor, BTW.

Sorry to hijack, but I had to ask...

Bill
Rosamond, CA
Home of the world's largest beach. No water, just lots and lots of sand...

wgirvine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2010, 09:10 PM   #92
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgirvine View Post
I can't believe how much rust you guys in the Salt Belt have to put up with. So I just have to ask this... why don't you guys take a few days off work, pull a trailer out here to southern California and buy a junkyard Jeep?
Since when does owning a jeep have anything to do with common sense???
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderC View Post
I see you also twizzled your scart lead. Well done! :thumbsup:
92 XJ with ARB's, 5" lift, too much armor, 33's and some other garbage
Hussler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2010, 09:11 PM   #93
FairlanePhil
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

Our junkyards are full of Cherokees and Grands, that are there simply because they have 200,000 miles and a blown engine. Or a blown tranny. But NO rust. None. I know it may be hard to believe, but cars (and Jeeps!) simply don't rust here. When I go to my local junkyard to pull some parts, I don't even bring penetrating oil. I just take the parts off with wrenches and sockets.

Why not buy a rust-free Jeep, take it home, and transfer everything out of your rust-bucket and into the good Jeep? Too much work? I dunno, it sure sounds easier than fixing all that rust! Cullen, good job with the floor, BTW.

Bill
Rosamond, CA
Its worth it for classic cars and vehicles that have a pretty high value.
Cherokees end up hacked up anyway so its usually not worth teh effort.
A hauler from out west will run you up to $1000 and the vehicle will be bought sight unseen usually. Ive bought 2 Arizona Torino bodies.
One had some rust under the vinyl top, the other I am driving now and its fine. I do think cars that lived here all their lives blow out badly but when you get a western car and drive it here they seem to rust faster.

Besides when you buy rust free you miss out on fixing stuff like this

Unread 11-27-2010, 09:55 PM   #94
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

Bill
Rosamond, CA
because the stock design is the problem, not just the rust, why fix it when you can improve it dramatically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairlanePhil View Post
A hauler from out west will run you up to $1000 and the vehicle will be bought sight unseen usually. Ive bought 2 Arizona Torino bodies.
One had some rust under the vinyl top, the other I am driving now and its fine. I do think cars that lived here all their lives blow out badly but when you get a western car and drive it here they seem to rust faster.

Besides when you buy rust free you miss out on fixing stuff like this

thats perfect. I'd rock it just like that
The_Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2010, 10:05 PM   #95
badmatt
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice_Cullen View Post
im much happier with tons of tach welds on the bottom side than plug welds.
the factory design was very, very, very poor.
isnt most chrysler product?
badmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2010, 04:32 AM   #96
gonejeepin04220
1995 XJ Cherokee 

ive thought about purchasing a southern vehicle. up here in maine evrything is just about rotted. it sucks. seems like every jeep is rotted aswell unless u pay big money for it
"my xj is so horny, sometimes im scared itll came right up in a wheelie"
gonejeepin04220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2010, 06:35 AM   #97
7urtle
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussler View Post
Since when does owning a jeep have anything to do with common sense???
this.

Quote:
old cars sent to warmer weather werent rust proofed
[URL="[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/wanted-xj-875786/#post10031031[/url]"][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/wanted-xj-875786/#post10031031[/url][/URL] -[FONT="Arial Black"][B][I][U][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Green"]1UMF[/COLOR][/SIZE][/U][/I][/B][/FONT] a really slow build. bruised and never left the street
[COLOR="SeaGreen"]WTB: rear bumper/tire carrier,31" tires,armor[/COLOR]
7urtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2010, 06:48 AM   #98
7urtle
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice_Cullen View Post
im much happier with tons of tach welds on the bottom side than plug welds.
the factory design was very, very, very poor.
whats the difference between plug and tac?
[URL="[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/wanted-xj-875786/#post10031031[/url]"][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/wanted-xj-875786/#post10031031[/url][/URL] -[FONT="Arial Black"][B][I][U][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Green"]1UMF[/COLOR][/SIZE][/U][/I][/B][/FONT] a really slow build. bruised and never left the street
[COLOR="SeaGreen"]WTB: rear bumper/tire carrier,31" tires,armor[/COLOR]
7urtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2010, 07:14 AM   #99
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7urtle View Post
whats the difference between plug and tac?
A plug is where you have a hole in metal, lay it over other metal, then fill hole bonding the two pieces together. This is from a welder that is only qualified to weld scrap metal together.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2010, 07:38 AM   #100
FairlanePhil
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7urtle View Post
old cars sent to warmer weather werent rust proofed

Both my Torino's were rustproofed exactly like the Michigan ones I've had. Poorly. Yet the AZ cars flashed up fast. I POR 15'd everything right after that
Unread 11-28-2010, 09:07 AM   #101
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Both my Torino's were rustproofed exactly like the Michigan ones I've had. Poorly. Yet the AZ cars flashed up fast. I POR 15'd everything right after that
Probably because the sun of those climates breaks down the paint microscopically ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderC View Post
I see you also twizzled your scart lead. Well done! :thumbsup:
92 XJ with ARB's, 5" lift, too much armor, 33's and some other garbage
Hussler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2010, 01:00 PM   #102
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmatt View Post
isnt most chrysler product?
Uhhhhhhh.............are you aware that the XJ is NOT A CHRYSLER DESIGN?

It was designed and introduced by AMERICAN MOTORS in 1984.....

Chrysler bought AMC and interited the XJ in 1988.
2000 XJ 3" lift -- Australian Ford Big Brakes up front, rock rails, ZJ rear discs (with WORKING parking brake), C4x4 rear bumper/tire carrier, Hella H4 headlights, IPF driving lights, OEM skid plates, OME springs/shocks, JKS LCA's, JKS Sway Bar links.
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2010, 03:25 PM   #103
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Jeff View Post
Uhhhhhhh.............are you aware that the XJ is NOT A CHRYSLER DESIGN?

It was designed and introduced by AMERICAN MOTORS in 1984.....

Chrysler bought AMC and interited the XJ in 1988.
Yeah, mine was manufactured by chrysler, but it's not a Chrysler design. Which makes me happy. Its an AMC as far as I'm concerned.
Unread 11-28-2010, 05:05 PM   #104
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

got the passenger side floor tached in the same way, also the smaller panels are both tached in too.
getting ready to do the whole bottomside, and finish weld the top. I'm getting there, a little at a time.

All this is happening outside, in the northern part of western ny.
cimg2121.jpg   cimg2122.jpg   cimg2124.jpg  
The_Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2010, 05:49 PM   #105
BeepBeepGoJeep
1994 XJ Cherokee 

awesome that thing should be able to drive over mines and haul lots of fat chicks after your done.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.