Replacing floors on an XJ with pics + build thread - Page 56 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Replacing floors on an XJ with pics + build thread

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 12-20-2011, 07:26 AM   #826
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blacksmith View Post
I pity the girl who hasnt had sex in my jeep yet.

As for the temps, did you end up going with a high flow rad? Looking at gojeep's page I wonder if those end up not letting the coolant sit against the right surfaces too long and lead to higher temps without a restrictor.

Just something to ponder, Im having the same issue as well.

Unread 12-20-2011, 07:34 AM   #827
Howard92XJ
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Things you dont notice, that it dosent have sway bars front or rear, I REALLLLLY dont know what all these people are whineing about, there was little to no body roll. It must be all these people with ****ty stock suspension who are like, dont do it you'll die. You wont.
Agreed! I'm running no sway bars because my Jeep is not my daily driver, although I do drive it on the road quite a bit. When I had factory control arms, the bushings were junk and the jeep had some body roll. I now have new control arms and it is now tighter than ever. Drives great with no sway bars.
Unread 12-20-2011, 02:56 PM   #828
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danette View Post
I need to replace the floor in my 85 xj would it be easier and stronger to buy the whole rear floor from quadratec then I could just weld it in with a mig welder?
easier yes, stronger, no, not at all. its just the same as factory sheet metal. I went heavier on everything, and just above and beyond anything chryco could have dreamed of.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/building-recovery-bumpers-pics-1184330/
The_Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2011, 04:10 PM   #829
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post

As for the temps, did you end up going with a high flow rad? Looking at gojeep's page I wonder if those end up not letting the coolant sit against the right surfaces too long and lead to higher temps without a restrictor.

Just something to ponder, Im having the same issue as well.
its all stock replacement stuff. I'm not worried about the temp it stays consistant, but still. I bet when I upgrade to a better water pump itll be lower. its probabaly also the gauge. even tho its a new temp sending unit the stock gauges suck lol

Unread 12-20-2011, 05:28 PM   #830
SFRautomotive
#WannaBeRockBouncer

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Blacksmith
Things you dont notice, that it dosent have sway bars front or rear, I REALLLLLY dont know what all these people are whineing about, there was little to no body roll. It must be all these people with ****ty stock suspension who are like, dont do it you'll die. You wont..

the body roll has to do with spring rate and shock type/length.

a jeep with stiffer higher rate springs will have less body roll than a jeep with a softer more flexy spring rate.

as in a jeep with 7" RC coils is going to have a TON less body roll than say a jeep running airshocks all the way around.
"You're what's wrong with America. You don't drink enough PBR and you probably run sway bars on the street. Fawking communist."-ibjeepin95
2013 COTY
SFRautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2011, 05:37 PM   #831
Howard92XJ
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFRautomotive View Post
the body roll has to do with spring rate and shock type/length.

a jeep with stiffer higher rate springs will have less body roll than a jeep with a softer more flexy spring rate.

as in a jeep with 7" RC coils is going to have a TON less body roll than say a jeep running airshocks all the way around.
It has a lot to do with control arms as well. As I stated above, my jeep had horrible body roll until I installed new LCA's about a month ago. Did not change anything but the LCA's, same springs and shocks. It now has very little/unoticeable body roll.
Unread 12-20-2011, 05:46 PM   #832
SFRautomotive
#WannaBeRockBouncer

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard92XJ View Post
It has a lot to do with control arms as well. As I stated above, my jeep had horrible body roll until I installed new LCA's about a month ago. Did not change anything but the LCA's, same springs and shocks. It now has very little/unoticeable body roll.
well sure, if your stuff is very worn then yea.

but actual body roll with a non-worn suspension is caused by the springs and shocks
"You're what's wrong with America. You don't drink enough PBR and you probably run sway bars on the street. Fawking communist."-ibjeepin95
2013 COTY
SFRautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2011, 09:53 PM   #833
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
its all stock replacement stuff. I'm not worried about the temp it stays consistant, but still. I bet when I upgrade to a better water pump itll be lower. its probabaly also the gauge. even tho its a new temp sending unit the stock gauges suck lol
With all the accounts I have seen, it could be just as bad or worse. I remember some of this from my days building watercooled computers for overclocking... its a matter of keeping the water in contact with hot metal just long enough to pull as much heat from it, and usually too good of a flow means you actually dont pull much heat at all, or get rid of that heat in the radiator.

Unless you start adding sprayers and turbulence to create surface area and such, but I doubt you are cracking the block open for that sort of thing
Unread 12-20-2011, 11:47 PM   #834
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

but it goes both ways, if you slow the coolant down you are trapping it in the block longer so one hand washes the other.

Unread 12-21-2011, 02:24 AM   #835
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

got the horn on a button tonight, to the right of the cluster on that useless plastic panel, where I intend on putting some toggles for something. pics tomorrow. I also will be picking up some door locks tomorrow since mine dont work, Gotta figure out what to do about the hatch lock tho, because it wont turn, ****er.

Unread 12-21-2011, 02:53 AM   #836
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

oh and I'm really surprised no one was like OMFG YOU DROVE IT 15 + MILES lol. Seems under whelming.

Unread 12-21-2011, 11:27 AM   #837
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Freakout officially begins at 17.3 miles...
Unread 12-21-2011, 12:18 PM   #838
Cassafrass
2000 WJ 

Cassafrass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2011, 01:18 PM   #839
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

its pouring so I guess I'm washing it right now, oh and checking for leaks! loll

the roof really needed to be rinsed off, so this helps.

Unread 12-21-2011, 07:03 PM   #840
theshaolin
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Looking good!!
1991 Chevrolet K1500 - 4x4 5.7L 5spd - For Sale (Cheap!)
theshaolin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.