Replacing floors on an XJ with pics + build thread - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Replacing floors on an XJ with pics + build thread

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 11-21-2010, 07:46 PM   #61
medicmandan

1996 XJ Cherokee 

I need to learn to weld.

medicmandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2010, 09:30 PM   #62
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Coming along great, a ton of work... will last forever after this!

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
GregB_00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2010, 09:42 PM   #63
badmatt
1990 XJ Cherokee 

man XJ's have the easiest floor replacement period... the whole floor is flat unlike the previous things ive own (s10's, ranger, gmt400, caprice, ect ect)
badmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2010, 09:50 PM   #64
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmatt View Post
man XJ's have the easiest floor replacement period... the whole floor is flat unlike the previous things ive own (s10's, ranger, gmt400, caprice, ect ect)
most of it is flat anyways. still have to build up the curve between the passenger well and the cargo area.
The_Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2010, 10:56 PM   #65
96xjmyjoy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

this is exactly what I'm starting with my xj... going to definitely be doing as close to what you are as possible. Looks great!
96xjmyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2010, 02:15 PM   #66
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96xjmyjoy View Post
this is exactly what I'm starting with my xj... going to definitely be doing as close to what you are as possible. Looks great!
thank you. just dont get discouraged, its disheartining when you keep cutting away, and grinding endless factory spot welds off the rails. Just keep at it, when its done, it will be one of a kind.

I'm hoping this will turn into a stickied guide for future floor replacements, the jeeps arent getting any younger, expecially for those of us who wish to stay away from obdII forever.
Unread 11-22-2010, 04:00 PM   #67
Raven_Rage
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregB_00XJ View Post
Coming along great, a ton of work... will last forever after this!
Exactly!!
Raven_Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2010, 06:36 PM   #68
gonejeepin04220
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwedge View Post
Gonna be quite hard to see it when its all coverd up . Maybe he does but won't it be easier to do it from the top so the heat from the welder wont just burn up the old metal,a bit more work but he doesnt seem he mind ,cause it's a fine job begin done.--------But you seem to have some sort of speech problem gonejeepin04220(DURRRR) I can understand your problem now with the 420 refurance.So please stay out of a question that isn't asked to you,and you have no knowledge of.-------- This just a question for you alice cullen thats all Sorry it was interupted by gone jeepin he'can help himself.I think it looks great.
well just by reading the thread you can see he is fully capable of welding and fabricating so why state obvious facts which he moooooost likely already knows. you going to tell a prompto oil changer " hey you should probably drain the oil because you can add new oil but without draining out the old oil it is pointless".. and if your "REFERENCE" ( see how there isnt an a or a u) is reffering to the numbers in my screen name, its my zip code. and doesnt even have the numerical order of 4,2,or ,0. so tou you sir who lacks in reading/writing skills, you deserve your self a big ol DURRRRR
"my xj is so horny, sometimes im scared itll came right up in a wheelie"
gonejeepin04220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2010, 06:37 PM   #69
gonejeepin04220
1995 XJ Cherokee 

i plan on doing this probably in the spring when it isnt freezing outside and dark at 4pm. i have a feeling i will be running into some crap! this is a great write up and hope to see it stickied
"my xj is so horny, sometimes im scared itll came right up in a wheelie"
gonejeepin04220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2010, 11:21 PM   #70
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonejeepin04220 View Post
i plan on doing this probably in the spring when it isnt freezing outside and dark at 4pm. i have a feeling i will be running into some crap! this is a great write up and hope to see it stickied
haha meanwhile in the Cullen camp, I'm am doing this outside where its freezing and dark at 4pm. my only other option is to push the bare metal drag car out into the elements to get the xj in the garage.

I really need to sealer that thing so i can push it outside.
Unread 11-22-2010, 11:22 PM   #71
Raven_Rage
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Nice Save
Raven_Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2010, 06:06 AM   #72
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Awesome job. Makes me want to go buy a rustbucket XJ (not too hard around here) and learn to weld and do the same! Most people probably would have sent that to the junkyard.
Unread 11-23-2010, 08:57 AM   #73
samger2
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome thread! Awesome work...man I REALLY want to take some welding classes now
samger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2010, 12:41 PM   #74
96xjmyjoy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

So I think I'm going to do this(altered) now. Since I have no welding skill, or material to gain that skill, I'm going to do what you did in the back(with the strip of metal you tied into the unibody I think) except do that along the entirety of the jeep. Then ccut out the really bad, but fiberglass the floor completely.
What do you think? Don't mean to hijack but It's you opinion I want since you are doing quite the nice job! lol
96xjmyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2010, 01:38 PM   #75
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96xjmyjoy View Post
So I think I'm going to do this(altered) now. Since I have no welding skill, or material to gain that skill, I'm going to do what you did in the back(with the strip of metal you tied into the unibody I think) except do that along the entirety of the jeep. Then ccut out the really bad, but fiberglass the floor completely.
What do you think? Don't mean to hijack but It's you opinion I want since you are doing quite the nice job! lol
its not gonna do much for strength or rigidity by using fiberglass. you can get welders pretty cheap($400) that are good enough for sheetmetal, the only reason i have a 1400$ set up is because I weld roll cages and stuff.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.