Replacing floors on an XJ with pics + build thread - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Replacing floors on an XJ with pics + build thread

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 11-05-2010, 09:09 PM   #31
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigbeach View Post
I', not sure how far I want to go with mine. I thought I had a small hole on the drivers side floor panel but after pulling the carpet it's one huge hole! I just laid a piece of steal on top of it for now.
clean it out and weld, get it before it spreads like cancer.

I havent forgotten about this, its been pouring rain so i have only been doing some more cutting and grinding. I'll take pictures tomorrow and get them posted after 7 tomorrow night most likely.

The_Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2010, 09:17 PM   #32
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

Floor Rust sucks.

i pulled carpet in my Xj earlier this year to find much worse than that. mine was replated with 1/8" plate, that made a nice base for my cage i just installed as well.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2010, 06:58 PM   #33
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by underpowered View Post
Floor Rust sucks.

i pulled carpet in my Xj earlier this year to find much worse than that. mine was replated with 1/8" plate, that made a nice base for my cage i just installed as well.
pm me some pics, i dont wanna clutter up this thread, but im anxious to see.

I'll have pics tomorrow it was too late to paint, so i didnt snap any.

my update is this. the only floor left in my jeep is pretty much the tunnel and some of the wheel tubs. all the u channels are still there.

By the gas tank inlet, the rail is toasted, I'm platting both sides and the bottom with 3/16th. I'm tieing them into the back of the unibody which is still solid, and I'm also tieing it into the 3/16th plate that goes from spring shackle to spring shackle across the back. which is also one of my add ons.

I'll be doing more wire wheeling / plating that frame rail, and hopefully brushing in primer on everything thats exposed tomorrow.
If weather permits I'm working like 930am - 630 pm. minus some lunch at the highway joint.

I promise pictures. In other news, The tank i dropped out from under the tank was a jy tank i guess, yellow writing shows this.

Had a dark spot, i wire brushed, 3 holes in it. so there goes another 100$ on a new tank. FML I've emptied every pocket already.

My wife thinks im trying to cop one, but really I'm running her pockets for loose change.
Unread 11-07-2010, 11:39 AM   #34
brigbeach
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by My1stxj View Post
do the aluminum door panels i think they look so badass
Do you have pictures of this?
brigbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2010, 04:48 PM   #35
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

So small update, did a bunch more cutting today, and a little wire wheelings, got a late start, I feel like crap.

picture of the rail where its broke. I'm platting from well infront of the break all the way to the back of the jeep with 3/16th on all 4 sides. I also plated from shackle mount to shackle mount all the way across the back of the jeep. It will be way stronger / better than stock, not to mention my bumper mount inside of all that.

all the rear metal cleaned out except for where i need to cut the wheel tubs.

tached in

i just threw a little primer on it for the hell of it, the can was almost empty so I emptied it
cimg2085.jpg  
Unread 11-07-2010, 05:09 PM   #36
GrnJeep
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Man just as a thought while you had such easy access to the rear shock bolts I would replace them. Lookin good man.
GrnJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2010, 05:53 PM   #37
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrnJeep View Post
Man just as a thought while you had such easy access to the rear shock bolts I would replace them. Lookin good man.
deffinatly going to replace them.
Unread 11-07-2010, 09:11 PM   #38
KINGJB
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Unread 11-07-2010, 10:59 PM   #39
shawnzoman
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Trickle View Post
deffinatly going to replace them.
With some BPE's
Unread 11-08-2010, 06:26 PM   #40
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

all the stuff in the rear inside the channels is all cleaned up and now in a coat of rusty metal primer, a nice coat.

i still have about a foot of mail rail inbetween where i did in the front and back to do, but theres still more cleaning and cutting to do in that area.

I know in the areas on the rail where i weld plates to reenforce it, will have paint bubbling off, but i plan to replace that paint when it does.
cimg2086.jpg  
Unread 11-08-2010, 09:26 PM   #41
RacerX
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Flintstones

I admire all the work you're doing, there's just SO much more to do!

...but seriously, it reminds me of this guy's car.
clipboard01.jpg  
RacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2010, 09:13 PM   #42
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

no pics, weather has been terrible, doing what I can.

the plate across the rear has been tied in up into the body, also like 18'' of the bottom of both u channels all the way to the back, has been re-enforced with plate and all welded in.

Plus across the back of the long plate has a bunch of welding to fill some small gaps. Its going to be ridiculous strong. I'll get some more pics soon hopefully.

Ive been working on trying to make some extra money, and pulling tons of parts i need off a parts jeep I just bought the other day.

way off topic but.

full power mirrors
97+ front clip
plastic gas tank
29 spline 8.25
bunch of misc interior stuff i want.
ect.
Unread 11-16-2010, 05:29 PM   #43
interpon
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Great job!
following closely!!
love my 95 but man the rust is almost as bad as mine.. patched up 2 years ago.. now the drivers side going!!! unreal.. just welded hinge back on drivers door..
again nice pics will be tracking!!!
ever thought of the floor pan on the internet? MY ROCKERS ARE GONE FROM THE OUTSIDE TOO..
freakan junk metal.. tried POR15 still rusted!!!
interpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2010, 10:01 PM   #44
Raven_Rage
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Progress
Raven_Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2010, 06:42 PM   #45
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Those rear shock bolts, They come right out. If you are good at removing those rear shock bolts.
Which I apparently, Am not.

1/4 came out, after lubing them, pounding the sockets on, and attacking them squarely with a 3/8 rachet

Another panel is now cut and tached in, along with a panel for infront of it. Trying to make due with what I have in 14 guage steel, so i dont have to go cutting big chunks, and i dont want to use 18 gauge in the rear, because i haul parts ALOT.

i didnt prime anything because its below 40, and it gets colder overnight, ill be down there in the morning working again and dont want to be in wet primer.
cimg2096.jpg  

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.