Replacing floors on an XJ with pics + build thread - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Replacing floors on an XJ with pics + build thread

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-31-2010, 11:15 PM   #16
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

My rusts nearly that bad. Mig welder and practice. Got it. Wish me luck. I'll watch and learn now.

Rob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2010, 09:44 AM   #17
Solidsyko
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Looks like you have it just about as bad as my project I made a post on. Have fun! I know I did!
Solidsyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2010, 06:34 PM   #18
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidsyko View Post
Looks like you have it just about as bad as my project I made a post on. Have fun! I know I did!
worse.
I'll get more pics hopefully tomorrow. I dropped the tank out tonight, going to clean it up, rusty metal primer it, then paint it, and undercoat it.

For future reference, dont waste your money on rustoleum in the spray cans for this, I used a big can of red primer just on the front 2 rails.

I didnt even have enough gloss black to put one light coat on the front rails.
I went to depot tonight and bought a gallon of rusty metal primer.

I have a gallon of rustoleum gloss black sitting. I figure between doing the tank, both sides of the floors, and probabaly using the rusty metal primer on my bumpers, and mustang. I'll have more than enough lol.
The_Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2010, 06:44 PM   #19
gonejeepin04220
1995 XJ Cherokee 

wow this is gonna be good man!
"my xj is so horny, sometimes im scared itll came right up in a wheelie"
gonejeepin04220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2010, 08:39 AM   #20
lowicz96
1995 XJ Cherokee 

The floors on my 96 were this bad if not worst, I decided to head south and but a rust free XJ. Ive never been happier cause i went from breaking every bolt i removed to not needing a breaker bar and lube to remove them.

Bu I may do this to the 96 when my GF gives it back to me and i chop top it.

88' Cherokee Limited - RIP

Sold - 96' Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2 Door, AW4, NP242, Its the girlfriends now!!
lowicz96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2010, 08:45 AM   #21
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Subscribed....... keep the pics coming...
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2010, 08:48 AM   #22
Showtime3492
2000 XJ Cherokee 

lookin good man im gonna be guttin mine shortly and it might be a little here and there but it looks pretty solid.
Showtime3492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2010, 12:47 AM   #23
blk01xj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

2 things for ya. ok 3!

That's a very thorough job!! Most people would just patch as needed!!

Eastwood sells a paint that seals rust and it works pretty good. I used it on a Bronco II about 9 years ago then used the chasis black over that and it held up until 2 years ago when i got rid of it. It's a little pricey but worth it. Same red color as what you used.

Finally, (on a side note) I'm not sure how your going to be using the 'stang but if you are going to be racing at a competition level you may want to check the rules on the "through the floor sub frame connectors". I have seen some brackets throw people out to an unlimited or outlaw type class just because of them whether they had the motor or times to compete there. Some forms of SCCA and NASA prohibit them as well. I'm guessing the later is not an issue since you are using a powerglide!
blk01xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2010, 01:07 AM   #24
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

I'm fixing the pics as we speak, sorry for any delay, they will be back up in less than 5 minutes
Unread 11-04-2010, 01:09 AM   #25
My1stxj
1996 XJ Cherokee 

ill be doing a rust repair in my xj but nothing like yours. i got a 5in hole under my back seat.and love the interior i got the same color.

good job on the repair.keep the pics coming.
My1stxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2010, 01:13 AM   #26
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep View Post
Subscribed....... keep the pics coming...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime3492 View Post
lookin good man im gonna be guttin mine shortly and it might be a little here and there but it looks pretty solid.
more pics soon!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk01xj View Post
2 things for ya. ok 3!

That's a very thorough job!! Most people would just patch as needed!!

Eastwood sells a paint that seals rust and it works pretty good. I used it on a Bronco II about 9 years ago then used the chasis black over that and it held up until 2 years ago when i got rid of it. It's a little pricey but worth it. Same red color as what you used.

Finally, (on a side note) I'm not sure how your going to be using the 'stang but if you are going to be racing at a competition level you may want to check the rules on the "through the floor sub frame connectors". I have seen some brackets throw people out to an unlimited or outlaw type class just because of them whether they had the motor or times to compete there. Some forms of SCCA and NASA prohibit them as well. I'm guessing the later is not an issue since you are using a powerglide!
outlaw 10.50, but really its more of a test and tune and all out car than me wanting to be competitive. Alot of bracket 1/8th mile when I'm bored I'm sure, but mostly I'm chasing a timeslip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Trickle View Post
I'm fixing the pics as we speak, sorry for any delay, they will be back up in less than 5 minutes
pics are fixed, sorry, I take too many photos, so I sub albumed them and had to re link

Quote:
Originally Posted by My1stxj View Post
ill be doing a rust repair in my xj but nothing like yours. i got a 5in hole under my back seat.and love the interior i got the same color.

good job on the repair.keep the pics coming.
once the carpet is out holes get alot worse. My rockers are mint, i have no clue how the floor got so bad.

I'm painting all the trim in the interior satin black, and eventually going with black seats, i have black and grey covers for the fronts for now.
Unread 11-04-2010, 01:21 AM   #27
My1stxj
1996 XJ Cherokee 

damn my carpets all out so i guess i better get around to fixing it pretty soon.

if i were you id just get a different interior from the junk yard cause the paint will just start wherein off on certain areas that are use alot like arm rest
Unread 11-04-2010, 01:22 AM   #28
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by My1stxj View Post
damn my carpets all out so i guess i better get around to fixing it pretty soon.

if i were you id just get a different interior from the junk yard cause the paint will just start wherein off on certain areas that are use alot like arm rest
I'm not painting the door panels, I was going to dye them, but now I'm thinking of making some out of aluminum. I've drag raced and built street rods far too long lol
Unread 11-04-2010, 01:25 AM   #29
My1stxj
1996 XJ Cherokee 

do the aluminum door panels i think they look so badass
Unread 11-04-2010, 01:52 AM   #30
brigbeach
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I', not sure how far I want to go with mine. I thought I had a small hole on the drivers side floor panel but after pulling the carpet it's one huge hole! I just laid a piece of steal on top of it for now.
brigbeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.