Replacing floors on an XJ with pics + build thread - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 1099 Old 10-31-2010, 11:15 PM
Rob K
Registered User
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: River Falls
Posts: 1,451
My rusts nearly that bad. Mig welder and practice. Got it. Wish me luck. I'll watch and learn now.

Rob K is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 1099 Old 11-01-2010, 09:44 AM
Solidsyko
Registered User
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SUNY Plattsburgh
Posts: 156
Looks like you have it just about as bad as my project I made a post on. Have fun! I know I did!
Solidsyko is offline  
post #18 of 1099 Old 11-01-2010, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
The_Blacksmith
Genius with this metal
 
The_Blacksmith's Avatar
1993 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 2,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidsyko View Post
Looks like you have it just about as bad as my project I made a post on. Have fun! I know I did!
worse.
I'll get more pics hopefully tomorrow. I dropped the tank out tonight, going to clean it up, rusty metal primer it, then paint it, and undercoat it.

For future reference, dont waste your money on rustoleum in the spray cans for this, I used a big can of red primer just on the front 2 rails.

I didnt even have enough gloss black to put one light coat on the front rails.
I went to depot tonight and bought a gallon of rusty metal primer.

I have a gallon of rustoleum gloss black sitting. I figure between doing the tank, both sides of the floors, and probabaly using the rusty metal primer on my bumpers, and mustang. I'll have more than enough lol.
The_Blacksmith is offline  
post #19 of 1099 Old 11-01-2010, 06:44 PM
gonejeepin04220
Registered User
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oxford County Maine
Posts: 504
wow this is gonna be good man!

95 xj,5 speed,
5" lift, 33 12.5 dessert dogs
chrysler 8.25,
"my xj is so horny, sometimes im scared itll came right up in a wheelie"
gonejeepin04220 is offline  
post #20 of 1099 Old 11-02-2010, 08:39 AM
lowicz96
Registered User
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Flint/Asheville
Posts: 1,574
The floors on my 96 were this bad if not worst, I decided to head south and but a rust free XJ. Ive never been happier cause i went from breaking every bolt i removed to not needing a breaker bar and lube to remove them.

Bu I may do this to the 96 when my GF gives it back to me and i chop top it.

Project/DD - 95' Cherokee Sport, 2 Door, Converted to 4x4, AX-15, NP231, Black and lots of other goodies

88' Cherokee Limited - RIP

Sold - 96' Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2 Door, AW4, NP242, Its the girlfriends now!!
lowicz96 is offline  
post #21 of 1099 Old 11-02-2010, 08:45 AM
little_Jeep
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 5,965
Subscribed....... keep the pics coming...
little_Jeep is offline  
post #22 of 1099 Old 11-02-2010, 08:48 AM
Showtime3492
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: York
Posts: 961
lookin good man im gonna be guttin mine shortly and it might be a little here and there but it looks pretty solid.
Showtime3492 is offline  
post #23 of 1099 Old 11-04-2010, 12:47 AM
blk01xj
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Mantua OH
Posts: 89
2 things for ya. ok 3!

That's a very thorough job!! Most people would just patch as needed!!

Eastwood sells a paint that seals rust and it works pretty good. I used it on a Bronco II about 9 years ago then used the chasis black over that and it held up until 2 years ago when i got rid of it. It's a little pricey but worth it. Same red color as what you used.

Finally, (on a side note) I'm not sure how your going to be using the 'stang but if you are going to be racing at a competition level you may want to check the rules on the "through the floor sub frame connectors". I have seen some brackets throw people out to an unlimited or outlaw type class just because of them whether they had the motor or times to compete there. Some forms of SCCA and NASA prohibit them as well. I'm guessing the later is not an issue since you are using a powerglide!
blk01xj is offline  
post #24 of 1099 Old 11-04-2010, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
The_Blacksmith
Genius with this metal
 
The_Blacksmith's Avatar
1993 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 2,851
I'm fixing the pics as we speak, sorry for any delay, they will be back up in less than 5 minutes
The_Blacksmith is offline  
post #25 of 1099 Old 11-04-2010, 01:09 AM
My1stxj
Registered User
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 12
ill be doing a rust repair in my xj but nothing like yours. i got a 5in hole under my back seat.and love the interior i got the same color.

good job on the repair.keep the pics coming.
My1stxj is offline  
post #26 of 1099 Old 11-04-2010, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
The_Blacksmith
Genius with this metal
 
The_Blacksmith's Avatar
1993 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 2,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep View Post
Subscribed....... keep the pics coming...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime3492 View Post
lookin good man im gonna be guttin mine shortly and it might be a little here and there but it looks pretty solid.
more pics soon!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by blk01xj View Post
2 things for ya. ok 3!

That's a very thorough job!! Most people would just patch as needed!!

Eastwood sells a paint that seals rust and it works pretty good. I used it on a Bronco II about 9 years ago then used the chasis black over that and it held up until 2 years ago when i got rid of it. It's a little pricey but worth it. Same red color as what you used.

Finally, (on a side note) I'm not sure how your going to be using the 'stang but if you are going to be racing at a competition level you may want to check the rules on the "through the floor sub frame connectors". I have seen some brackets throw people out to an unlimited or outlaw type class just because of them whether they had the motor or times to compete there. Some forms of SCCA and NASA prohibit them as well. I'm guessing the later is not an issue since you are using a powerglide!
outlaw 10.50, but really its more of a test and tune and all out car than me wanting to be competitive. Alot of bracket 1/8th mile when I'm bored I'm sure, but mostly I'm chasing a timeslip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Trickle View Post
I'm fixing the pics as we speak, sorry for any delay, they will be back up in less than 5 minutes
pics are fixed, sorry, I take too many photos, so I sub albumed them and had to re link

Quote:
Originally Posted by My1stxj View Post
ill be doing a rust repair in my xj but nothing like yours. i got a 5in hole under my back seat.and love the interior i got the same color.

good job on the repair.keep the pics coming.
once the carpet is out holes get alot worse. My rockers are mint, i have no clue how the floor got so bad.

I'm painting all the trim in the interior satin black, and eventually going with black seats, i have black and grey covers for the fronts for now.
The_Blacksmith is offline  
post #27 of 1099 Old 11-04-2010, 01:21 AM
My1stxj
Registered User
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 12
damn my carpets all out so i guess i better get around to fixing it pretty soon.

if i were you id just get a different interior from the junk yard cause the paint will just start wherein off on certain areas that are use alot like arm rest
My1stxj is offline  
post #28 of 1099 Old 11-04-2010, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
The_Blacksmith
Genius with this metal
 
The_Blacksmith's Avatar
1993 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 2,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by My1stxj View Post
damn my carpets all out so i guess i better get around to fixing it pretty soon.

if i were you id just get a different interior from the junk yard cause the paint will just start wherein off on certain areas that are use alot like arm rest
I'm not painting the door panels, I was going to dye them, but now I'm thinking of making some out of aluminum. I've drag raced and built street rods far too long lol
The_Blacksmith is offline  
post #29 of 1099 Old 11-04-2010, 01:25 AM
My1stxj
Registered User
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 12
do the aluminum door panels i think they look so badass
My1stxj is offline  
post #30 of 1099 Old 11-04-2010, 01:52 AM
brigbeach
Registered User
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: brigantine
Posts: 225
I', not sure how far I want to go with mine. I thought I had a small hole on the drivers side floor panel but after pulling the carpet it's one huge hole! I just laid a piece of steal on top of it for now.
brigbeach is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
Replacing floors on a Cherokee mynameismyles65 XJ Cherokee Technical Forum 7 09-09-2011 11:48 PM
My 01 classic build thread/Collection of pics 01ClassicXJ XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum 244 06-08-2011 11:34 AM
Exo cage build thread... .with pics! X2elite XJ Cherokee Technical Forum 28 12-17-2009 04:06 PM
My build thread, LOTS of pics 01LimitedXJ XJ Cherokee Technical Forum 65 02-26-2009 12:56 PM
Jeep build- up thread (pics) Timo_90xj XJ Cherokee Technical Forum 42 07-06-2006 11:57 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome