1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #136 of 1099 Old 12-12-2010, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
The_Blacksmith
Genius with this metal

1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thakoolaidkid View Post
So you just chopped off the rear lower quarters? Any pics of that?
not yet, i will have pics of it soon. yes, and isntead of going at the seam where people fold, i went above it. the floor will stay more level in that area if you cut at the seam instead of above it, it will probabaly be a little easier that way aswell.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #137 of 1099 Old 12-12-2010, 12:25 PM
thakoolaidkid
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Cool, looking forward to seeing that. Was the insulation inside the XJ attached to the body panels? My rear lower quarters were shot so I went to cutting them completely out and replacing with riveted new metal (no welder) and I looked inside and it was straight in to insulation. So was just wondering if that was attached or a separate piece to disassemble.

'96 ZJ: Sold.
'94 XJ: Sold for scrap.
'01 TJ: Back in a Jeep after 3 years!
post #138 of 1099 Old 12-12-2010, 02:02 PM
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice_Cullen View Post

annndddd my holy grail. screw folding the rear corners, and dealing with pop rivets, sealer, and other amatuer methods. do it right, do it once.. profit.
One of the XJs I was looking at had a few holes in the floor. I was going to fix them with a coffee can, caulking and pop rivets.

2000 XJ - 3.5'' Lift & Skinny Mudders.
Previous: A CJ, Few TJs and JK.
post #139 of 1099 Old 12-12-2010, 04:35 PM
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Millermagic. If you have the time and means, fix it right. Clean and paint what floor you have left, inside and out. It won't long before your dealing with a major problem.

When I bought mine it had a little rust on the passenger floor pan. Within a years time a hole had developed in it. Within 4-5 years all the floor pans were completely rusted and mostly gone. I had screwed sheet metal to the bottom to patch the holes and seal the seams to no avail. The floor just kept on rusting between the carpet and sheet metal I installed over the rusty floor. When they start they go real fast. A lot of the rusting goes on from the inside out. Pull that carpet and see what it looks like.

Wish I would have done something more permanent sooner. Now I'm looking at nearly an entire floor replacement like the one in this thread.

I just typed all that and realized you said you were looking at one that holes in the floor. Oh well, someone will learn a lesson from my mistake.
post #140 of 1099 Old 12-12-2010, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
The_Blacksmith
Genius with this metal

1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thakoolaidkid View Post
Cool, looking forward to seeing that. Was the insulation inside the XJ attached to the body panels? My rear lower quarters were shot so I went to cutting them completely out and replacing with riveted new metal (no welder) and I looked inside and it was straight in to insulation. So was just wondering if that was attached or a separate piece to disassemble.
some jeeps have that some dont, this one didnt, the 97 i pulled parts from did.

did some more work today in the rain.
hard to tell but everything around the shackle mount is all boxed and tied to that 3/16th plate that goes from shackle mount to shackle mount across the back

Also this is one side of the frame rail patch, theres a plate welded on the bottom, the bottom edge of this side plate is rolled under and welded (needs to be ground badly, but its in there, i was able to get both shackle bolts loose, they are IN THERE. pipe and short turns.

the hole was done with 4 drill holes and a cut off wheel. im happy with it.
Attached Thumbnails
CIMG2154.jpg   CIMG2155.jpg  
post #141 of 1099 Old 12-13-2010, 09:53 PM
Raven_Rage
1995 XJ Cherokee 

They look awesome. Jeep is ironman strong
post #142 of 1099 Old 12-14-2010, 08:35 AM
Ahren
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I tought my self to weld 6 years ago. welding is the handiest skill to have ever and if your any bit creative you can biuld some great stuff

jeep lookin great

SPARK ON

cannibals wont eat clowns
they taste funny
post #143 of 1099 Old 12-14-2010, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
The_Blacksmith
Genius with this metal

1993 XJ Cherokee 

its so depressing, we've gotten a bunch of snow the last 2 days, and my jeep, is sitting outside, unfinished, probabaly full of snow.

my wife got me all this cool jeep **** for xmas, and it dosent even look like I'll be able to use the thing.
post #144 of 1099 Old 12-14-2010, 06:55 PM
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice_Cullen View Post
its so depressing, we've gotten a bunch of snow the last 2 days, and my jeep, is sitting outside, unfinished, probabaly full of snow.

my wife got me all this cool jeep **** for xmas, and it dosent even look like I'll be able to use the thing.
Looking more gooder man...nice job. I cant imagine that getting those bolts inside there was much fun. lol

2000 Jeep Cherokee Classic XJ - 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD 5.7L WK - CDN M101 1/4 Ton Trailer

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
post #145 of 1099 Old 12-14-2010, 08:42 PM
XJcruiser
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Just a thought here, but you are installing the same life I have and I think you will eventually want to do a shackle relocation because the 4.5" leafs are pretty short. Rather than adding a bracket later, maybe you should rebuild the shackle box right now while you have easy access. Then you will have corrected the shackle angle possibly without having to add height.
post #146 of 1099 Old 12-14-2010, 10:39 PM
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I think relocation brackets would be a good idea for anyone installing new springs. You'd be able to adjust your shackle angle. I just installed some Crown heavy duties and they were shorter than the originals. Ended up with a near vertical shackle angle.

I agree, if one had the time and means it would be a good idea to beef up the hangers. He's working outside in the winter though. I done a lot of that. It's no picnic.
post #147 of 1099 Old 12-14-2010, 11:54 PM
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

x2 on relocation.

you can make your own or get the HD offroad engineering ones. Brian over on NAXJA sells them.
post #148 of 1099 Old 12-15-2010, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
The_Blacksmith
Genius with this metal

1993 XJ Cherokee 

i saw the HD ones. like 200$ is insane, but i guess if you have the market cornered.

After the work i did to re enforce that shackle box, i doubt ill be redoing it again.
post #149 of 1099 Old 12-15-2010, 05:03 PM
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Big$ Exactly why I am living with my shackle angle. I'd invest in a welder before I bought those.
post #150 of 1099 Old 12-15-2010, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
The_Blacksmith
Genius with this metal

1993 XJ Cherokee 

were way off topic, but whatevers, this shackle angle thing has got me thinking, after spending 6 hrs with brush/ rollers and rattle can rustoleum on an unrelated project, without doors open. (maybe im high?) i didnt take any breaks haha.

What if i made like boomarange shackles? is it possible to correct the angle, without gaining much if any height from a boomarang?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.