Replacing floors on an XJ with pics + build thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Replacing floors on an XJ with pics + build thread

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 10-31-2010, 09:23 PM   #1
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Replacing floors on an XJ with pics + build thread

okay, so before I get flamed. the jeep is very solid on the outside, rockers and pinch seams solid. Floors were shot, so I decided to replace them.

I dont have alot of pics at the moment, because I wasnt going to do this thread.

Basically, remove your stock carpet and padding, because its a sponge, and throw it away forever.

To do this, you remove the seats, and center consoul.
Next grab a big shop vacuum, and start sucking up all the loose crap.

this isnt the jeep i started with, but this is how ALOT of xjs look without the carpet, when they have rust.

Again THIS IS NOT THE JEEP IM WORKING ON, its an old one i had. the one im working on has better floors, and body in general, i just didnt take progress pics, and happened to have these FOR REFERENCE.

basically what your rear floor probabaly looks like.

front floor wells

so start cutting that rust out,

now, you have to clean all that out, get a welding hammer/pick and knock all the loose rust off the channels, get all the old floor off the top of the unibody rails, there are also spot welds you will have to grind down flush.

all this was done with cut off wheels on a grinder, a grinder, and a hammer / shop vacuum.

Again that wasnt the jeep im working on.

Now, onto the jeep im working on, once everything was cut outt, fully cleaned and wire wheeled. i decided to paint the u channels from the inside out. I'm using rustoleum red primer, I will be going over this all with a second coat, and then with rustoleum paint before the new floors go.

Now to all the nay sayers, who are like "oh go buy another jeep blah blah.
pre 96 xjs are high mile junk everywhere, and id rather not spend all my money replacing driveline parts, when floors are cheap and easy.

I'm going to take the time to use 3/16th plate over where the leafs mount front and back, and by tieing that all in, making the mounts straonger than they ever were.

I'll post more pics, and hopefully when im done this will serve as a very nice how too for people.

Its not as bad as it looks, its not that much work if you can weld, and cut metal.

For reference, all the metal i bought for the floor

8 sq ft of 18 guage steel - 60$
i also bought 15' of 3/16th x 5'' plate for 45$ (im building recovery bumpers aswell)

so if you figure in 100$ worth of materials + time, not counting paint. You'll realize this is worth it on a budget.

The_Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2010, 09:30 PM   #2
4.0H.O.XJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I agree, do this right and it will be stronger than it ever was from factory.

Good lord, please let me see a welder in your next installment. I dont think I can handle watching another floorpan "repair" thread utilizing old coffee cans, pop rivets, bondo and herculiner ever again.

Subscribed. Looking like a proffessional repair job thus far. May I suggest frame stiffeners while your at it? Looks like a good time to get at that too, and youll never have more easy access to everything again once you button it all up.
4.0H.O.XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2010, 09:31 PM   #3
Raven_Rage
1995 XJ Cherokee 

definitely worth it

great post
Raven_Rage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2010, 09:31 PM   #4
mattman8706
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

wow that is a lot of rust.

looks like a fun project.

My Build Thread
JK Tech
mattman8706 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2010, 09:34 PM   #5
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0H.O.XJ View Post
I agree, do this right and it will be stronger than it ever was from factory.

Good lord, please let me see a welder in your next installment. I dont think I can handle watching another floorpan "repair" thread utilizing old coffee cans, pop rivets, bondo and herculiner ever again.

Subscribed. Looking like a proffessional repair job thus far. May I suggest frame stiffeners while your at it? Looks like a good time to get at that too, and youll never have more easy access to everything again once you button it all up.
i have cofee cans, but wont be using them haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman8706 View Post

Its been fun so far. im going to fully weld the panels to the unibody channels from the bottom up. I'm going to seam weld down the unibody rails to the floorpans instead of crappy spotwelds.

Whatever jeep used for seam sealer is tough stuff, but it dosent do crap for rust prevention
cimg1767.jpg   cimg1769.jpg  
Unread 10-31-2010, 09:36 PM   #6
4.0H.O.XJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman8706 View Post

Thats not much rust at all. Thats BABY rust. You should see what the northeast guys repair and wheel........ And those pics were not of his current XJ they were of another one like it for reference. The last few were of his current XJ.

And yeah, fixing rust IS fun, because you can right the factory wrongs and make it stronger and more watertight than original. Looks like ArchAngel is gonna set the bar high as far as rust repair is concerned.
Unread 10-31-2010, 09:40 PM   #7
4.0H.O.XJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

FOX BODIES and a Miller! Come tub and cage my 70 Torino.

J/K

That seam sealer comes out with a torch, a paint scraper and a prayer. If there is a better way, damned if Ive found it..
Unread 10-31-2010, 09:49 PM   #8
FairlanePhil
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0H.O.XJ View Post
FOX BODIES and a Miller! Come tub and cage my 70 Torino.

J/K

That seam sealer comes out with a torch, a paint scraper and a prayer. If there is a better way, damned if Ive found it..
Did someone say Torino?

Had me a 93 notch but I sold it. 2.3 turbo swapped. Fun cars

sorry for the hijack
Unread 10-31-2010, 09:53 PM   #9
4.0H.O.XJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairlanePhil View Post
Did someone say Torino?
LOL Phil
Unread 10-31-2010, 10:01 PM   #10
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

The problem must be the tan interior. Mines in the same condition

Thanks for the inspiration. Maybe I can do this. What's the easiest way to go about this repair for someone without a welder and little experience welding. If I get a welder is this a project I'm going to want to cut my teeth on, so to speak? Would spot welding and seam sealing be the best way to go for me?
Rob K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2010, 10:09 PM   #11
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob K View Post
The problem must be the tan interior. Mines in the same condition

Thanks for the inspiration. Maybe I can do this. What's the easiest way to go about this repair for someone without a welder and little experience welding. If I get a welder is this a project I'm going to want to cut my teeth on, so to speak? Would spot welding and seam sealing be the best way to go for me?
Deffinatly weld it, or hire a friend with a welder. by surpassing the factorys design and turning the unibody into a true unibody instead of some crappy u channel panel bonded to some stamped tin. You are making your rig that much tougher

edit, and wayyyyy offtopic, its an 81 mustang, powerglide,4000 stall, high compression 355 all home built.
Unread 10-31-2010, 10:14 PM   #12
4.0H.O.XJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Looking at the way this thread started, I'd say just pay attention. Looks like he's gonna cover all the bases and do it right.

As far as not having a welder or experience? Bro we live in wonderful times. 200-300 dollars can buy you an el-cheepo 110V MIG welder that will weld sheetmetal all day long. harbor freight, sales at sears, used on the net...Turn your heat and feed down low and practice on scrap sheetmetal until you can hold a bead for an inch or so without blowing holes and maintaining penetration, then practice your spots. Those are the 2 basic skills you need for floorpanel repair, but I'm already stealing this fine man's thread. You can do this. Go for it.
Unread 10-31-2010, 10:31 PM   #13
KINGJB
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I hate rust.
Unread 10-31-2010, 11:00 PM   #14
KF4SQB
1994 XJ Cherokee 

I've got some rust repair to do in my '94, but nothing even close to what the OP has. I've got a small spot (about the size of a half-dollar) in the front, inside corner, and several small spots covering a fair amount of area in the rear of the right floor. There's a small spot in about the center of the cargo area, but its just surface rust, nothing that a good clean-up and some primer won't fix. I'm not going to go nearly as far as the OP is, I'm only going to repair the actual bad spots with some patches cut from the floor of another XJ. I guess I'm lucky to live in the Deep South, where we don't have to salt the roads. I'll post pics of the minor damage I have in a few days, if I get the time.

To the OP, as has already been said, looks like you're well on the way to a "proper" repair. Best of luck!

Confidence: The feeling you get just before you fully understand the situation!
KF4SQB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2010, 12:07 AM   #15
7urtle
2008 KK Liberty 

fun job.mine not that bad
[URL="[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/wanted-xj-875786/#post10031031[/url]"][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/wanted-xj-875786/#post10031031[/url][/URL] -[FONT="Arial Black"][B][I][U][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Green"]1UMF[/COLOR][/SIZE][/U][/I][/B][/FONT] a really slow build. bruised and never left the street
[COLOR="SeaGreen"]WTB: rear bumper/tire carrier,31" tires,armor[/COLOR]
7urtle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.