JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   XJ Cherokee Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/)
-   -   Replacing floors on an XJ with pics + build thread (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/replacing-floors-xj-pics-build-thread-1122602/)

The_Blacksmith 10-31-2010 09:23 PM

Replacing floors on an XJ with pics + build thread

okay, so before I get flamed. the jeep is very solid on the outside, rockers and pinch seams solid. Floors were shot, so I decided to replace them.

I dont have alot of pics at the moment, because I wasnt going to do this thread.

Basically, remove your stock carpet and padding, because its a sponge, and throw it away forever.

To do this, you remove the seats, and center consoul.
Next grab a big shop vacuum, and start sucking up all the loose crap.

this isnt the jeep i started with, but this is how ALOT of xjs look without the carpet, when they have rust.

Again THIS IS NOT THE JEEP IM WORKING ON, its an old one i had. the one im working on has better floors, and body in general, i just didnt take progress pics, and happened to have these FOR REFERENCE.

basically what your rear floor probabaly looks like.
http://i42.tinypic.com/mrvdix.jpg

front floor wells
http://i42.tinypic.com/25f2dc5.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/xo1c77.jpg

so start cutting that rust out,

now, you have to clean all that out, get a welding hammer/pick and knock all the loose rust off the channels, get all the old floor off the top of the unibody rails, there are also spot welds you will have to grind down flush.

all this was done with cut off wheels on a grinder, a grinder, and a hammer / shop vacuum.

Again that wasnt the jeep im working on.

Now, onto the jeep im working on, once everything was cut outt, fully cleaned and wire wheeled. i decided to paint the u channels from the inside out. I'm using rustoleum red primer, I will be going over this all with a second coat, and then with rustoleum paint before the new floors go.

http://i39.tinypic.com/9lilc5.jpg

Now to all the nay sayers, who are like "oh go buy another jeep blah blah.
pre 96 xjs are high mile junk everywhere, and id rather not spend all my money replacing driveline parts, when floors are cheap and easy.

I'm going to take the time to use 3/16th plate over where the leafs mount front and back, and by tieing that all in, making the mounts straonger than they ever were.

I'll post more pics, and hopefully when im done this will serve as a very nice how too for people.

Its not as bad as it looks, its not that much work if you can weld, and cut metal.

For reference, all the metal i bought for the floor

8 sq ft of 18 guage steel - 60$
i also bought 15' of 3/16th x 5'' plate for 45$ (im building recovery bumpers aswell)

so if you figure in 100$ worth of materials + time, not counting paint. You'll realize this is worth it on a budget.

4.0H.O.XJ 10-31-2010 09:30 PM

I agree, do this right and it will be stronger than it ever was from factory.

Good lord, please let me see a welder in your next installment. I dont think I can handle watching another floorpan "repair" thread utilizing old coffee cans, pop rivets, bondo and herculiner ever again.

Subscribed. Looking like a proffessional repair job thus far. May I suggest frame stiffeners while your at it? Looks like a good time to get at that too, and youll never have more easy access to everything again once you button it all up.

Raven_Rage 10-31-2010 09:31 PM

definitely worth it

:thumbsup: great post

mattman8706 10-31-2010 09:31 PM

wow that is a lot of rust.

looks like a fun project.

The_Blacksmith 10-31-2010 09:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4.0H.O.XJ (Post 10374484)
I agree, do this right and it will be stronger than it ever was from factory.

Good lord, please let me see a welder in your next installment. I dont think I can handle watching another floorpan "repair" thread utilizing old coffee cans, pop rivets, bondo and herculiner ever again.

Subscribed. Looking like a proffessional repair job thus far. May I suggest frame stiffeners while your at it? Looks like a good time to get at that too, and youll never have more easy access to everything again once you button it all up.

i have cofee cans, but wont be using them haha

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattman8706 (Post 10374495)

Its been fun so far. im going to fully weld the panels to the unibody channels from the bottom up. I'm going to seam weld down the unibody rails to the floorpans instead of crappy spotwelds.

Whatever jeep used for seam sealer is tough stuff, but it dosent do crap for rust prevention

4.0H.O.XJ 10-31-2010 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattman8706 (Post 10374495)

Thats not much rust at all. Thats BABY rust. You should see what the northeast guys repair and wheel........ And those pics were not of his current XJ they were of another one like it for reference. The last few were of his current XJ.

And yeah, fixing rust IS fun, because you can right the factory wrongs and make it stronger and more watertight than original. Looks like ArchAngel is gonna set the bar high as far as rust repair is concerned.:thumbsup:

4.0H.O.XJ 10-31-2010 09:40 PM

FOX BODIES and a Miller! Come tub and cage my 70 Torino.

J/K

That seam sealer comes out with a torch, a paint scraper and a prayer. If there is a better way, damned if Ive found it..

FairlanePhil 10-31-2010 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4.0H.O.XJ (Post 10374544)
FOX BODIES and a Miller! Come tub and cage my 70 Torino.

J/K

That seam sealer comes out with a torch, a paint scraper and a prayer. If there is a better way, damned if Ive found it..

Did someone say Torino?

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...t/HDRlanem.jpg

Had me a 93 notch but I sold it. 2.3 turbo swapped. Fun cars

sorry for the hijack

4.0H.O.XJ 10-31-2010 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FairlanePhil (Post 10374611)
Did someone say Torino?

LOL Phil :rofl:

Rob K 10-31-2010 10:01 PM

The problem must be the tan interior. Mines in the same condition:D

Thanks for the inspiration. Maybe I can do this. What's the easiest way to go about this repair for someone without a welder and little experience welding. If I get a welder is this a project I'm going to want to cut my teeth on, so to speak? Would spot welding and seam sealing be the best way to go for me?

The_Blacksmith 10-31-2010 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob K (Post 10374716)
The problem must be the tan interior. Mines in the same condition:D

Thanks for the inspiration. Maybe I can do this. What's the easiest way to go about this repair for someone without a welder and little experience welding. If I get a welder is this a project I'm going to want to cut my teeth on, so to speak? Would spot welding and seam sealing be the best way to go for me?

Deffinatly weld it, or hire a friend with a welder. by surpassing the factorys design and turning the unibody into a true unibody instead of some crappy u channel panel bonded to some stamped tin. You are making your rig that much tougher

edit, and wayyyyy offtopic, its an 81 mustang, powerglide,4000 stall, high compression 355 all home built.

4.0H.O.XJ 10-31-2010 10:14 PM

Looking at the way this thread started, I'd say just pay attention. Looks like he's gonna cover all the bases and do it right.

As far as not having a welder or experience? Bro we live in wonderful times. 200-300 dollars can buy you an el-cheepo 110V MIG welder that will weld sheetmetal all day long. harbor freight, sales at sears, used on the net...Turn your heat and feed down low and practice on scrap sheetmetal until you can hold a bead for an inch or so without blowing holes and maintaining penetration, then practice your spots. Those are the 2 basic skills you need for floorpanel repair, but I'm already stealing this fine man's thread. You can do this. Go for it.

KINGJB 10-31-2010 10:31 PM

I hate rust.

KF4SQB 10-31-2010 11:00 PM

I've got some rust repair to do in my '94, but nothing even close to what the OP has. I've got a small spot (about the size of a half-dollar) in the front, inside corner, and several small spots covering a fair amount of area in the rear of the right floor. There's a small spot in about the center of the cargo area, but its just surface rust, nothing that a good clean-up and some primer won't fix. I'm not going to go nearly as far as the OP is, I'm only going to repair the actual bad spots with some patches cut from the floor of another XJ. I guess I'm lucky to live in the Deep South, where we don't have to salt the roads.:thumbsup: I'll post pics of the minor damage I have in a few days, if I get the time.

To the OP, as has already been said, looks like you're well on the way to a "proper" repair. Best of luck!

7urtle 11-01-2010 12:07 AM

fun job.mine not that bad

The time now is 10:58 AM.