Replacing floors on a Cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Replacing floors on a Cherokee

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-29-2011, 07:43 AM   #1
mynameismyles65
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Replacing floors on a Cherokee

I bought my jeep a couple months ago and know there was some rust but I had no idea I had so much until i tore the carpet to bedline it but now I've got a u-pol raptor kit sitting at home until I replace the floors. Basically I started this thread to document my replacement and if anyone want to give me advice or experience. now for some pictures.

starting to tear the carpet out

Hosing the inside and outside out

drivers side a couple rusted through spots

passenger side

starting to cut the floor out

mynameismyles65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2011, 08:07 AM   #2
Gnl.Weirdness
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Vaccum and clean the inside of the rails when the floors are out and then hit them with some rustoleum or POR-15 for sure.

Also Raptor Liner I don't think will prevent rust from growing, so when you get the new pans in I would suggest at the very least coating with something that is designed to prevent rust growth (rustoleum and por-15 again, a quart of POR would probably be enough to coat the entire floor).

I did this with mine a year and a half ago, and not even the slightest rust bubble has shown. I also didn't have to replace the floors so I wan painting over the original metal.

Def keep this thread updated, always love seeing floor replacement projects.

Cheers and feel free to PM if you need any advice on the paint side of things. I have yet to lay down my raptor kit, but will update my build thread one of these days and let you know when I do.
Gnl.Weirdness is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2011, 02:26 PM   #3
mynameismyles65
1994 XJ Cherokee 

sorry for the lack in updates but i have cut out the old floors rustoleumed them and just got done ordering 2 new full length floor pans from classic 2 current fabrication. will update with pics soon and progress.
Unread 09-09-2011, 04:19 PM   #4
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Check out chassis saver while you got all that open.

WTH were your seats connected to?
Unread 09-09-2011, 04:39 PM   #5
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

check out the link in my signature, i did the entire floors minus tunnel

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/building-recovery-bumpers-pics-1184330/
The_Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2011, 09:09 PM   #6
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

The Blacksmith was going to throw in some new floors, but it's turned into a full restore and build. LOL! Definitely check out his thread for some good ideas.
Rob K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2011, 11:27 PM   #7
mynameismyles65
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the reponses! well the passenger seat used to connect to that little tab where on the frame but im pretty sure it rused away years ago. The Blacksmith- I just got got done reading your write up it part of my inspiration to replace the floors instead of buying a new Cherokee. I just don't think i have the time with work and school to completely fab up new floors.
Unread 09-09-2011, 11:48 PM   #8
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameismyles65 View Post
Thanks for the reponses! well the passenger seat used to connect to that little tab where on the frame but im pretty sure it rused away years ago. The Blacksmith- I just got got done reading your write up it part of my inspiration to replace the floors instead of buying a new Cherokee. I just don't think i have the time with work and school to completely fab up new floors.
park it and grab a cheap beater. You wont regret it, well that is if you intend on keeping this specific cherokee forever. If not, youll never get you labor back.

chassis saver > rustoleum

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/building-recovery-bumpers-pics-1184330/
The_Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.