Replacing the flex plate? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Replacing the flex plate?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 12-23-2004, 09:16 PM   #1
NevadaXJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Replacing the flex plate?

Last wheeling trip my Jeep started making a horrible knocking noise. I drove it home (80 miles or so) and of course the knocking is louder, however, the engine runs fine, and has not lost any power. Also no check engine light has come on.

In talking to friends and searching the web, I am convinced it is the flex plate. The noise is coming from where the tranny meets up with the engine. I have heard of an "inspection cover" that I can remove to see the flexplate/fly wheel, but I am not sure where this is. Also I do not know what I need to do to replace this plate, should I try it on my own.

Are there any "How-To's" out there that you know of? Google gave me no results. Have any of you done this, and how hard would it be for someone with limited mechanical skill and tools.

It's a 96, 4.0, AW4.

Thanks.

Coming soon to a mountain near you!
NevadaXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2004, 12:12 AM   #2
hormel26c

It's not likely that you have to replace the Flex Plate, but there is a good chance that the bolts to the torque converter are loose. You probably need to tighten them up.

Take a look here:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...flywheel+bolts
Unread 12-24-2004, 12:18 AM   #3
JustinGJ

Check the bellhousing bolts. There are 4 that hold the trans to the motor. The top 2 are inverted torx, but the 2 main ones are just a six point, maybe a 5/8".
Custom grille guard
JustinGJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.