Replacing an axle that had abs with one without abs. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Replacing an axle that had abs with one without abs.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-road

Unread 05-17-2012, 09:37 PM   #1
makinscody
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Replacing an axle that had abs with one without abs.

Today I took apart my rear axle because it was shot.. I found the driver side bearings all busted up and scattered every. There was also a ring that was broke inside. This bearing was inside the the cover but closer to the driver side. If I replace my axle with one without abs will it cause any damage? Would I need to do anything with the abs if I'm not using it in the rear? Will the abs still function in the front wheels? Any help is appreciated. This is my first time replacing a axle?
I went to napa and they had a rebuild kit that was around $185, so that's why I'm think just getting a whole axle at a JY would be easier? Anybody know what an axle goes for at a junkyard?

makinscody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2012, 08:10 AM   #2
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by makinscody View Post
If I replace my axle with one without abs will it cause any damage? Would I need to do anything with the abs if I'm not using it in the rear? Will the abs still function in the front wheels?
If you install an non-ABS axle in the rear of the vehicle, your ABS system will think the rear ABS sensors are non-functioning. This will cause it to throw a warning code and the light indicating a malfunction will illuminate constantly.

Quote:
I went to napa and they had a rebuild kit that was around $185, so that's why I'm think just getting a whole axle at a JY would be easier? Anybody know what an axle goes for at a junkyard?
Unless you have experience in setting up rear axle gears (they need to be adjusted for proper lash and for tooth contact pattern), buying a JY axle is much better for your situation. Most JY's offer axles for your vehicle for less than $200
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2012, 10:28 PM   #3
makinscody
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I went to to JU and found the same axle a Dana 35 3.55 gear ratio. We yankee it out and got it for $50 bucks. It came with the brakes and drums. It came off a 97 Cherokee with 197,00 miles but it was in great shape. The only prolblem we had was we had to cut the electrical wires that I beleive were for the abs. I could not find any were I could disconnect them. We took the cover off and every thing was in great shape. We spent the day tearing out the old one on my Cherokee and putting the one we got from the JY. What we did was cripted them together. My Cherokee runs great now but the only problem is that the abs light is still on.
Unread 05-19-2012, 09:26 AM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

1997-2001 you can disable the ABS by pulling out the ABS relays. Disabling 97-01 ABS will cause no harm, the brakes will function safely and normally. The ABS parts can remain in place, they simply won't function in the ABS mode.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2012, 10:10 AM   #5
makinscody
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
1997-2001 you can disable the ABS by pulling out the ABS relays. Disabling 97-01 ABS will cause no harm, the brakes will function safely and normally. The ABS parts can remain in place, they simply won't function in the ABS mode.
I would need to disable to abs light still right? We found an rear with abs Nd after we installed it it the rear works great except the abs light is on, I'm not worried if the and works or not. My jeep is due for inspection next month I just wanna find a way to disable the abs light.
Unread 05-20-2012, 02:56 PM   #6
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
..... I just wanna find a way to disable the abs light.
Pull the ABS relays.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
Unread 05-20-2012, 03:01 PM   #7
buildin1XJ
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Listen To Tim

X1 Tim knows his XJs way to well to ignore his input,pull the relays
buildin1XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2012, 09:52 PM   #8
makinscody
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Where can I find the abs relay? I'm not a mechanic or anything I'm just Learning as I go when my jeep needs repairs.
Unread 05-20-2012, 10:03 PM   #9
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

If you are doing more than oil changes and brake jobs, you should own a Cherokee Factory Service Manual. Get a used one from eBay or find an on-line seller for a digital copy.

The ABS relay or relays are in the under hood fuse box.

pdc-97-99.jpg  

Unread 05-20-2012, 11:02 PM   #10
makinscody
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Would I pull all relays 16-20? Or would I just pull one at a time till I find the one it is?
Unread 05-21-2012, 12:01 AM   #11
motorsports3
1997 XJ Cherokee 

That is just showing the pin numbers. The actual relay encompasses all 4 of those.
motorsports3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 03:45 AM   #12
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Today I took apart my rear axle because it was shot.. I found the driver side bearings all busted up and scattered every. There was also a ring that was broke inside. This bearing was inside the the cover but closer to the driver side. If I replace my axle with one without abs will it cause any damage? Would I need to do anything with the abs if I'm not using it in the rear? Will the abs still function in the front wheels? Any help is appreciated. This is my first time replacing a axle?
Generally, an ABS axle may be swapped into a non-ABS application without difficulty.

Swapping a non-ABS axle into an ABS vehicle is generally not recommended - but I don't like ABS. I find it useless and limiting (and I've yet to meet an ABS system I wasn't able to lock up the wheels on with only minimal effort.)

The primary difference between ABS and non-ABS axles is simple - there will be one or two "tone rings" and sensors to go with them (depends on whether ABS is implemented at the wheels or at the differential. If it's a four-sensor system, there will be a tone ring and sensor at each wheel. If it's a three-sensor system, each front wheel will have its own tone ring/sensor and the rear axle will have the tone ring mounted under the differential ring gear, with the sensor screwed into the centre section.)

Often, the ABS may be swapped over to the non-ABS axle, as long as the housing ends match up (the ABS shafts are swapped in if they'll fit, and the sensor bracket is usually screwed to the brake assembly or stamped into the backing plate.)

You can also drop the non-ABS axle directly into the ABS application (if it's mechanically compatible,) but expect a persistent ABS fault due to the inability of the system to read the rear axle sensors (because they're not there.) This can usually be corrected by removing the pilot lamp in the IP - although I am unsure of the effect on regular inspections of your vehicle (probably depends on the inspection programme,) and it will need to be corrected if you sell your vehicle. Also, it can cause you headaches with your insurance company, if they're still listing you as getting an "ABS discount" on your policy, and you have a claim, and they find out your ABS is disabled; they can both deny coverage of the claim and pursue you for back premiums (making up for the discount) back to when the ABS was "knowingly disabled" - and/or pursue a claim for insurance fraud.

(I hate it when safety systems get mandated, because those of us who learned to drive without them do quite well, thank you very much. I don't need ABS, I don't want airbags, ...)

The ABS system may be depowered by either removing the connector at the control module or removing the relay that provides power, I'd have to look up which is better. The ABS lamp may be disabled by removing the IP and removing the lamp (just like I need to do with that wretched TPMS in my wife's car. I refuse to pay $40 - or more! - for a sensor just because a two-dollar battery has gone flat, and I catch low tyres before it does anyhow.)

And concur on using a pulled axle over doing an overhaul, if you're a neophyte. An axle is relatively simple (mechanically) to overhaul, but it requires attention to detail, some thinking, and some experience to get done properly - I figured this out when I did my first one (at eight.) The specifications for setting up an axle are fairly tight and definitely unforgiving - set the gears up too tight, and they won't get enough lube. Too loose, and they'll destroy themselves. Contact patch on the wrong place? Teeth will strip, and you're hooped. Break it in wrong? You'll get stress risers, and the gear will grenade on you sooner or later (the housing should still be fine - unless it's an extreme case - but I've seen pinion gears blow up and it's not pretty.) Wheel bearings are pretty easy, carrier bearings just require making sure the shims get put back right, but pinion bearings and gear setup is horribly easy to screw up - and then you've just wrecked the gearset.
Unread 05-21-2012, 09:29 AM   #13
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I specifically noted 1997-2001 ABS because I have experience with those years, and I know for a fact that the ABS system is stand-alone and can be disabled or even removed.

http://www.naxja.org/html/techarticles/uninstall_OEM_ABS.htm

Earlier Bendix ABS systems, are set up differently and defeating the ABS function can result in no brakes at all.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.