Replacing AC Compressor Motor - 1999 Cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Replacing AC Compressor Motor - 1999 Cherokee

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 09-01-2009, 06:55 PM   #1
Lemos

Replacing AC Compressor Motor - 1999 Cherokee

My AC Compressor Motor doesn't turn in my 1999 Cherokee Sport, I was wondering if there was a way that I could get it to turn, ( that'd probably be the easier solution. ) OR if there was a way to replace the unit. I've searched and some say that the freon will go every where and I'll have to recharge it and what not, but I found one post about a 98? Wrangler and some one said that it's possible to replace the unit with out releasing all the freon... On top of the unit there is a little box that all the tubes go into, and a bolt that attaches that to the unit. Maybe I can just take off the little box, take out the unit, buy a new unit, and replace the the old one, and attach that little box on to the new unit? PLEASE post ANY solutions...

Thanks in advance,

Lemos

Lemos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2009, 07:21 PM   #2
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

First off, the compressor will NOT turn unless the appropriate amount of refrigerant is in the AC system. That's by DESIGN, and it protects the compressor from fatal damage due to lack of refrigerant. (Refrigerant is a lubricant for your compressor.)

You can check for this condition by putting a jumper across the low pressure switch on your accumulator. If the compressor engages then, you know the issue is low refrigerant. If it does NOT, then your issue is probably either more basic electrical issues, or a defective compressor clutch.

If your issue is lack of refrigerant, I STRONGLY suggest you employ the services of a professional shop with experience in working on AC systems. This part of your XJ requires tools and equipment that most DIY guys do not have. Furthermore, doing this without those tools increases the probably of damaging other parts SUBSTANTIALLY.

Pay a pro to check your system for leaks, and if none are found, have him refill it. You WILL save money in the long run.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2009, 09:48 PM   #3
autonoz

The refrigerent will come out when you start disconnecting the lines. Like AZ Jeff said, you should let someone with the proper tools and know how work on it. AC work can be expensive so you do not want to do any damage to the system. Try jumping the low pressure switch, it may just be low on refrigerent.
autonoz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2009, 10:02 AM   #4
Lemos

Alright, thanks guys! It seems as though regardless of the problem, I should take it to a repair show. I'll give em a call today, thanks for your help!
Lemos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.