Replacing 1997 Jeep Cherokee XJ Battery Cables - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Replacing 1997 Jeep Cherokee XJ Battery Cables

Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 05-03-2011, 02:26 AM   #1
gabejeep
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Replacing 1997 Jeep Cherokee XJ Battery Cables

Hello Everyone,
I am trying to replace my battery cables on my 97 Jeep Cherokee XJ. I removed the black negative ground wire no problem. However, I ran into a snag with the red wire. When removing the red wire from the starter I noticed there is a green wire that ties into the boot of the cable. I followed the green wire up to a wire connector that connects a variety of wires next to the fuse box.

Does anybody know what this green wire is and how to remove it so I can change my batter cables?

In addition, I went to Pep Boys to get new cables only to find they don't have any cables resembling the red cable I have.

Anyone have this problem? Do I need to get the battery cables from the dealer?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I posted a few photos of it below:

Thanks!

-Topianno

photo.jpg   photo-1.jpg   photo-2.jpg  
gabejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2011, 03:45 AM   #2
tjjeepwrench978
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Thats the started solenoid wire
tjjeepwrench978 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2011, 03:46 AM   #3
tjjeepwrench978
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Junkyard
tjjeepwrench978 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2011, 08:40 AM   #4
justanotherjpr

You will need to buy a universal terminal and cut the wire off at the old terminal. Strip some of the jacket on the old wire and place it in with the new wire when you crimp down the terminal.

I am guessing your battery cables come with the the new terminal already built in. Your options are to cut this terminal off and use the universal, return it and buy one with an extra lead coming from the terminal that you can splice into your existing wire.

The other option is to cut the green wire off your existing terminal and crimp on a ring terminal. You can then bolt the ring terminal to the side of the new terminal with the clamp bolt.

Check the green wire for length before you do any cutting.
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2011, 10:20 AM   #5
1CVPaul
1994 XJ Cherokee 

So on this subject of battery cables - Does anyone know of a source for side mount battery terminal cables ? I have converted all my older rigs to side mount and am really happy with the results. I switch out the little headed bolts with larger ones that don't strip. No corrosion and quick to remove/install.
1CVPaul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2011, 11:15 AM   #6
justanotherjpr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1CVPaul View Post
So on this subject of battery cables - Does anyone know of a source for side mount battery terminal cables ? I have converted all my older rigs to side mount and am really happy with the results. I switch out the little headed bolts with larger ones that don't strip. No corrosion and quick to remove/install.
Most auto parts stores sell them.
Unread 05-03-2011, 11:20 AM   #7
gabejeep
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Dealer Battery Cables for 1997 Cherokee XJ | $195.00

I just checked with the dealer and apparently they recommend I buy the OEM battery cables which include the original connectors that come in a kind of harness. The cost is $195.00.

I don't think my cables have ever been changed and I was simply doing it for maintenance. The cables themselves don't actually look that bad. I've heard however that old cables can cause electrical problems and poor battery performance.

How important is this? What do you guys think?

Thanks for the advice.

-Topianno
gabejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2011, 11:53 AM   #8
1CVPaul
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherjpr View Post
Most auto parts stores sell them.
The ones I've seen at parts stores are what I used on my older trucks. But they don't have the additional wire coming off the connectors.
1CVPaul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2011, 11:55 AM   #9
justanotherjpr

Your choice. Use what you have for free, use the advice above for under $30, or use OEM cables for $200.

If it were mine and the cables were not brittle and were in good shape, I would clean both ends of each cable really well and put them back on.
Unread 05-03-2011, 03:03 PM   #10
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabejeep View Post
I just checked with the dealer and apparently they recommend I buy the OEM battery cables which include the original connectors that come in a kind of harness. The cost is $195.00.

I don't think my cables have ever been changed and I was simply doing it for maintenance. The cables themselves don't actually look that bad. I've heard however that old cables can cause electrical problems and poor battery performance.

How important is this? What do you guys think?

Thanks for the advice.

-Topianno
$195, NO WAY.

I replaced all the main cables in my Jeep with 2/0 copper flexible welders cable, new terminals, soldered & heat shrink tubing for all of it, and it was around $40. That's 3 years ago copper prices, but still.
WKdeuce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2011, 03:18 PM   #11
mnoeltne
2001 XJ Cherokee 

A user called 5-90 over on naxja.org sells replacement battery cables he makes up. Good quality and decent pricing. He should have something for this. Click here for his website.
Unread 10-31-2012, 11:12 PM   #12
OnTheFence

gabejeep, what did you ever do about this?
This seems a lot more complicated than it first seems.

Did you find a harness that has this 2nd green wire?
It sounds like you need to stick with OEM b/c it's NOT just a simple "single" cable, but multi-cables.
Is 5-90 the only other option?
OnTheFence is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2012, 12:34 AM   #13
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnoeltne View Post
A user called 5-90 over on naxja.org sells replacement battery cables he makes up. Good quality and decent pricing. He should have something for this. Click here for his website.
The same user goes by the same handle here - that's me!

If you want, PM me with your email addy and I'll send you an instruction sheet on how to handle that little nuisance. ChryCo calls them "convenience blocks" - they don't trust techs to sort out wiring on their own, apparently.

There are no electronics in there, it's a moulded elastomer block that merely serves to maintain the relative location of the terminals.
Unread 11-03-2012, 12:47 AM   #14
zimsy
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Hahaha! On my 93 everyone was saying the ignition wire was yellow or brown/yellow but it ended up being brown. Spend the money on heavy gauge wire like everyone is saying and DIY. Took me forever to figure what I was doing but research pays off.
zimsy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2012, 06:17 PM   #15
cpttuna
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Most people replace the battery cables so they can upgrade to heavier cables.(at least 4 guage). You can buy cables that will work at O'reillys for about $40.00. I would not go the $195.00 route. Remember the cable does not have to be the exact length or guage of the wire you take off.
cpttuna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
battery cable , green , xj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.