Replacement rear shocks for '98 XJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Replacement rear shocks for '98 XJ

Jeep Wrangler Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontJeep Grand Cherokee Window RegulatorComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 07-17-2012, 02:41 PM   #1
ttrevino
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Replacement rear shocks for '98 XJ

I bought this XJ, and the previous owner replaced the stock rear end with a '98 Ford Explorer rear end. The problem I've run into is now I don't know what type of shocks to buy to replace the ones on there. I've tried doing a cross reference on the part number of the existing shocks, and have taken one with me to the local auto parts, with no luck. The truck has a 4-1/2" lift on it, however, the PO told me I would need shocks for a 2" lift, due to the mounting spots on the Explorer rear end.

Any help would be appreciated! I'm tired of getting bounced all over.

ttrevino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2012, 03:12 PM   #2
ahuf
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Time to flex your ride and measure. Take your measurements in with you to your store. If you would rather go the online route call up your preferred retailer and give them the measurements and they will sell you the proper shocks.

You can do a google search for a more in depth guide for measuring shock length but I'll give you one up. let me google that for you

Good luck and I'm sure others will chime in as well.
Unread 07-19-2012, 10:00 AM   #3
ttrevino
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the advice, it's been tough finding the right rear shock, but I think I'm well on my way! Who would have thought buying shocks would be so difficult!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahuf View Post
Time to flex your ride and measure. Take your measurements in with you to your store. If you would rather go the online route call up your preferred retailer and give them the measurements and they will sell you the proper shocks.

You can do a google search for a more in depth guide for measuring shock length but I'll give you one up. let me google that for you

Good luck and I'm sure others will chime in as well.
ttrevino is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shocks

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.