Replacement gas tank/fuel pump/filter? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Replacement gas tank/fuel pump/filter?

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitClayton Off Road - Come see us at these events!

Unread 09-26-2013, 02:58 PM   #1
2000NWXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Replacement gas tank/fuel pump/filter?

So I need to drop the gas tank in my 2000 xj to smoke my evaporative system since a new gas cap did not resolve my evap leak. While I'm in there I would like to replace the fuel pump, fuel filter, and (depending on the price) the tank too. I just installed a rebuilt engine so having a new clean tank sounds like a good idea. Can I get these parts from the dealership? If not what are some quality replacements? Do they sell tanks with the pump and filter ready to go?

2000NWXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 04:47 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Wondering why you think the tank needs to come out for a smoke test ? Wondering why the tank would need replacing unless it is leaking ? If the tank has sediments, they can be flushed out, or wiped out with a clean cloth. The 97-01 fuel filter is not routinely replaced and will be fine unless testing shows it is clogged.

Buy a genuine Jeep fuel pump assembly or a Bosch. AirTex fuel pumps suck and you will regret buying one.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.

CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 07:28 PM   #3
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2000 XJ Cherokee 

CJ-7 Tim offers good advice. I will also further comment that the tank on a 2000 XJ is made from HDPE (blow molded plastic) and unless it is cracked/leaking, it never gets rusty inside like a steel tank would. Thus, changing the tank is RARELY needed. If the tank actually has contaminants in it (dirt, rocks, etc.), it can be washed out sucessfully and allowed to dry.
2000 XJ 3" lift -- Australian Ford Big Brakes up front, rock rails, ZJ rear discs (with WORKING parking brake), C4x4 rear bumper/tire carrier, Hella H4 headlights, IPF driving lights, OEM skid plates, OME springs/shocks, JKS LCA's, JKS Sway Bar links.
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 06:50 AM   #4
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

If you have EVAP system leaks you may want to examine the steel tube that goes from the EVAP canister to the roll-over valve plastic tube coming from the top of the gas tank (tank removal not required). This steel tube has a bad habit of rusting out to the point that pin holes are formed in the tube that causes EVAP system leaks.

If this is your problem, the fix is to replace the tube with OEM or remove tube and replace it with 1/4" ID rubber hose. The only problem with you'll need a 1/4x1/4 barb fitting to couple the hose to the rubber elbow on the canister.

Man who stands in front of Jeep gets tired. Man who stands behind Jeep gets exhausted.
CCKen is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.