Replaced water pump, now squealing noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Replaced water pump, now squealing noise

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-25-2007, 10:43 PM   #1
ar275103
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Replaced water pump, now squealing noise

Just replaced the water pump, hoses, thermostat etc. in my 93 4 cyl xj and seemed to be working great until I noticed a high pitch squeal coming from the engine that gets louder with acceleration. I am thinking the belt tension could be off, would that make a squealing noise that increases with rpms? how would i go about adjusting the tension and how much tension should be on the belt? anybody have similar problems with water pump replacement and squealing afterwards?

ar275103 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2007, 11:05 PM   #2
Meltedmechanic
1993 XJ Cherokee 

only thing i can think of that would get higher in pitch is a loose belt. I think about 1/4 inch of play i may be wrong i think i am wrong... but definitly sounds like a belt
Meltedmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2007, 11:19 PM   #3
taseal
1993 XJ Cherokee 

I have the same problem, let me know if you find out what it is... we've played with tension, but nada...
Unread 12-25-2007, 11:22 PM   #4
black2door
Web Wheeler

1994 XJ Cherokee 

Maybe just throw a new belt on it. Worth a try.

1994 Black XJ 2 door - 4.0 - Auto - Making a wheelin rig
Beefy steering - 33" Bighorns - 3" bastard lift - Welded rear

black2door is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2007, 12:10 AM   #5
TwistedXJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Just tighten the serpentine belt as needed and it will go away, when I did my pump it was just that nothing else. it is common when you take it off .
TwistedXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2007, 12:37 AM   #6
XJohnnyC

As long as you had the old belt off, you should've put a new one on and saved the old one as a spare.

The belt has to be really tight. Tighter than most people think. I believe it's like 160 ft/lbs. for a new belt and 140 ft/lbs for a broken-in belt (I could be slightly off on the numbers).

A good tension gauge is the Krikit II from NAPA. It costs about $12.
XJohnnyC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2007, 05:55 AM   #7
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

XJohnnyC is correct, these belts have to be quite tight to prevent squealing.
Everytime I install a new belt, I end up tightening it usually twice before it stops barking at me.

IF you did not have squealing before you installed the water pump, then the problem is almost certainly belt tension. You should also inspect the belt for "glazing".

If your belt is pretty new, then tighten it a bit more. If the belt is older, I'd replace it with a new good quality belt. Don't shop low end stuff; you get what you pay for!
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2007, 11:17 AM   #8
ar275103
1993 XJ Cherokee 

thanks to all for the advice, looks like ive got a little more work to do before the job is completed. Im probably going to end up replacing the belt with a new one, anyone know anything about the gatorback belts??
Unread 12-26-2007, 12:55 PM   #9
Cruzin Illusion
Round Eyed XJ

1987 XJ Cherokee 

If you have silicone spray lube or WD40 spray some on the belt with the motor run. If the noise goes away then the you need to replace the belt. More than likely that is your problem. If it does not go away, with the belt removed, turn the idler pulley and see if it feels like it is rough or grinding when turn it. The bearing in the idler pulley is known to go bad. Also look at you crank pulley/dampner. If it is older and the rubber portion is displaced it will cause a squeaking noise. This is the least likely out of the group.

View the Cruzin Illusion Rig here:
View Cruzin Illusion's Rig
(OlllllllllllllO)
Rock Frog

CIC's Build Threads:
XJ Bolt on Tube Fenders / XJ-8 Grille (Round Headlight Grille) / THOR 4x4 Quarter Guard Install / XJ Custom Bumper with Swing Down TIre Carrier / Custom Width HP44 Build and Tech /Cruzin Illusions XJ Roll Cage Pics / Cruzin Illusion Tube Door Build
Cruzin Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2007, 06:27 PM   #10
JMC-14
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Don't over tight, because you may destroy your power steering pump, which is closest to the belt tensioner. Too much side loading on the bearing will eventually cause it to fail.
JMC-14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2007, 07:37 PM   #11
MBJR9
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Tighten the belt, should go away after that.

The Daily Driver
2004 Ram 1500, 5.7L Hemi V8, 545RFE 5 Speed Auto, NP241, Chrysler 8.0/Chrysler 9.25, 10mpg
MBJR9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2007, 09:00 PM   #12
ar275103
1993 XJ Cherokee 

tightened the belt some after work today. still squeals a little bit, about the same as when i replaced the water pump, but the increased squealing with higher rpms is all gone, so im pretty satisfied with the way she sounds. thanks for all your advice forum members
Unread 12-26-2007, 09:03 PM   #13
XJohnnyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar275103
thanks to all for the advice, looks like ive got a little more work to do before the job is completed. Im probably going to end up replacing the belt with a new one, anyone know anything about the gatorback belts??
Gatorbacks are probably the best belt to get.

And yes, overtightening is much worse than undertightening. Using ny Krikit II, I've found that the difference between overtightening and undertightening is just a couple of turns of the adjusting bolt. So there's not much margin for error. That's why I'd recommend a tensioning gauge.
XJohnnyC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.