Replaced nearly entire cooling system... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Replaced nearly entire cooling system...

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-21-2010, 09:29 AM   #1
Kasia
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Replaced nearly entire cooling system...

My jeep overheated- it's been needing a new radiator and t-stat for a while, and I already have a hi-flow water pump for it and rad hoses. replaced with hesco 180 hi-flow tstat & housing, upper and lower hoses, hi-flow pump, radiator & cap. electric fan hasnt been coming on so i replaced that. still overheating, and i found out it's not pumping anything; it just sits in the radiator and overflow tank. took out the thermostat... still not pumping anything through. so it has to be the water pump... however, it's impossible to install the water pump wrong. the gasket only goes on one way, the pump bolts in one way, and the belt has been re-installed properly. the pump is brand new.

any help on this would be appreciated.

and i don't think anything's wrong with the motor, it sounds like it's running a bit rough but there's no coolant in the oil and no white smoke coming from the exhaust.

Thanks.

Kasia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2010, 09:55 AM   #2
XJH-007

If you are 100% guranteed it's not pumping...it's the pump. Go back to a stock pump.

Or you have a massive air bubble. Have you parked on an incline (nose up) and bled the system?
Tera 4:1 / 4:56's_Elec. Locked D44
**84' CJ7 4"BDS 33's
***02 WJ Overland
XJH-007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2010, 11:16 AM   #3
Willy36
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Some aftermarket pumps don't turn the right direction...
Willy36 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2010, 11:30 AM   #4
Chris_Walker
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Was there a lot of crud in your coolant when you drained it? You might have a blockage somewhere. Also make sure there's not excessive amounts of air trapped in it. Open the radiator cap and try squeezing the hoses to see if any air bubbles come up.
Chris_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2010, 11:46 AM   #5
Tex96

Is water pump pulley turning? In the correct direction?
Bad lower rad hose?
Run water into top of radiator- Flows out lower hose?
As mentioned above post #3 - is Pump Itself the 'Wrong' Way Rotation type? (There are 2 kinds.)

Year/Motor?etc.?
Tex96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2010, 11:52 AM   #6
XJH-007

You could also test by removing the top hose from the radiator, and stick a garden hose in there....does it push through the system? (this will only work if the T-stat is open or removed)
Tera 4:1 / 4:56's_Elec. Locked D44
**84' CJ7 4"BDS 33's
***02 WJ Overland
XJH-007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2010, 11:55 PM   #7
mickc9129

As mentioned above there are 2 type water pumps made. My '91 for instance uses a reverse rotation pump. There is a "R" stamped on the pump for reference. Also, you should have a coil spring inside your lower hose as it might collapse if it doesn't.
mickc9129 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2010, 12:16 AM   #8
nbleak21
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yep, my guess would be HUGE air bubble or reverse flow pump.
Unread 04-22-2010, 08:01 AM   #9
Kasia
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Yup, air bubble simpler than I thought... now I just gotta figure out why the electric fan isn't coming on.
Kasia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2010, 10:23 AM   #10
Willy36
1990 XJ Cherokee 

With the ignition on, unplug the switch and jump a wire between the two sides of the plug. If your fan comes on then, the problem is in your switch. If not, it may be the relay went bad.
Willy36 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2010, 04:22 PM   #11
filluptrk
Web Wheeler
2000 XJ Cherokee 

If the jeep overheats but doesn't show on gauge then because of the air blocking fluid flow the temp sender in the housing isn't getting enough hot coolant around it to work. An engine can overheat with trapped air and not show hot on gauge.

Try pulling jeep up so drivers side is up to the left, and the pass side is down. On my 00 I have a lever vent cap so I just raised the vent and as the air in the rad moved toward the high side it blew out into the overflow. I raised and lowered the vent while it was running and after a while it cleared the air out. Phil
filluptrk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.